Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 help please. Rough Starting..backfire...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS3 help please. Rough Starting..backfire...

Guys/Gals this is my first post so give me some grace

I have a connect and cruise Ls3 in my 63 Chevy Nova.

I have been having issues and not sure where to go next.
The engine seems to turn over/start hard, will fire up real hard and almost quit unless you push on the gas some. It will run choppy for 30 seconds with a few backfires and than plane out to idling smoothly. It smells very rich and even after driving it, you smell gas on your clothes...(real rich).

I've had it in a few times and they told me it was throwing no codes but the mechanic agreed it is running super rich. He cleaned the MAF sensor which didn't seem to do much. I also replaced it (it was a strong one with another strong one) and this seemed to do nothing.

Earlier on it seemed I was having some low oil pressure issues too. I switched from 5w to 10w30 and this seems to have helped some.

Not sure why it's doing this but the engine is only 2 years old and has 2800 miles on it. It should run smooth. I broke it in per GM's guidelines.

I am in TX and thinking of bringing it in for a tune at Advanced Performance in Arlington. Any thoughts guys would be much appreciated. Thank you for your insight!

Quick Reply: LS3 help please. Rough Starting..backfire...