Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls2 N/A rebuild opinions/ thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016 | 03:05 PM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Justin93
Ok so deck the block .030 and I should be good correct?
Well, I don't know if I'd call it good but you will have the quench you're looking for.

Now with that said Is zero deck measured from the flat part of the piston or the top of the dome.
Flat part of the piston.

With the 9cc dome won't I loose Ptv clearance by doing this?
Yes, but you have valve reliefs so you should still have way more PTV than you need. Wiseco reliefs are typically pretty deep.

And with 12:1 won't I run the risk of detonation on pump gas?
Yes, and a good tuner can fudge the tune enough to run pretty safely but the motor won't really make any more power on 93 octane and will be less efficient.

In the past, I've cut down the domes to get the CR where I wanted it. 2618 aluminum is about 2.8g per cc, so a machine shop can weigh a piston, cut the dome a little, then weigh it again until they've removed enough of the dome. Then just cut that amount off the remaining 7 pistons. IIRC it was only about $75 to do all 8.
Old 01-10-2016 | 03:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
Well, I don't know if I'd call it good but you will have the quench you're looking for. Flat part of the piston. Yes, but you have valve reliefs so you should still have way more PTV than you need. Wiseco reliefs are typically pretty deep. Yes, and a good tuner can fudge the tune enough to run pretty safely but the motor won't really make any more power on 93 octane and will be less efficient. In the past, I've cut down the domes to get the CR where I wanted it. 2618 aluminum is about 2.8g per cc, so a machine shop can weigh a piston, cut the dome a little, then weigh it again until they've removed enough of the dome. Then just cut that amount off the remaining 7 pistons. IIRC it was only about $75 to do all 8.

I really appreciate your help. It's really been good info to open my eyes about quench. I think I may just go with the JE srp flat tops with valve reliefs and have my heads milled .030. I really dont like the idea of having to deck the block right now. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-10-2016 | 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

.....I think I may just go with the JE srp flat tops with valve reliefs......
I think that's a wise choice versus the 9cc dome pistons.
.....And with 12:1 won't I run the risk of detonation on pump gas?
Proper quench, proper cam spec'ing and a good tune.....and 12:1 ain't an issue.

I have 15K miles on my 12:1 stroker.....currently used as a daily driver.....drive rush hour stop and go traffic in 100* heat.....no detonation at all.

Jus' sayin'....

KW
Old 01-13-2016 | 04:57 PM
Launching!

Well the wife just gave me the go ahead for a 402 assembly. Looks like I'm gonna be doing more research lol
Old 01-13-2016 | 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Well the wife just gave me the go ahead.....
Congrats!

KW
Old 01-14-2016 | 10:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
Congrats! KW
Thanks cost me buying her a lowering kit for her TBSS. But it's worth it if I get a stroker out of it lol

Quick Reply: Ls2 N/A rebuild opinions/ thoughts