Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L33: worth rebuilding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L33: worth rebuilding?

Hi everyone,
I own a 2007 NNBS 1500 Silverado with the L33 engine that currently has 204k on the ticker in 100% stock form. This engine has been great to me so far with little maintenance besides replacing lifters and pushrods at 198k.
My concern: Knowing this engine wont last forever...is it worth rebuilding an all aluminum engine with high mileage and probably more wear than I can tell? I've always gone by the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"..but I do like to be prepared with a plan when the sh*t hits the fan.
The truck has been paid off, and cosmetically doesn't show its high mileage which is why I'm willing to go a few extra steps to keep this 1500 for years to come. So I suppose what I'm getting at, is if I do rebuild, it will be for performance. Shooting for a "reliable" 500 crank hp (N/A) is the goal. I don't want to step up to a 6.0/6.2 etc either. I know this will sound contradicting , but durability and longevity are also a must even with the HP goal in mind.
My initial thought was to go all out with a fully forged iron block, rather than potentially spending money on high mileage aluminum block that won't last... Do it right the first time, even if the cost is higher. In addition to a bottom end rebuild, I would either have the heads completely redone (which appear to be in "fine" shape, or buy new.
Before it gets brought up, I'll be building the truck from back to front. It will have a 14 bolt FF rear, and 4l80e transmission by the time the new or rebuilt engine goes in.

So to sum things up: 500hp crank goal built for durability and longevity.
To rebuild the L33...or go for a fully forged short block?
Thank you in advance for the input/advice/etc etc!
Old 01-30-2016, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 188 Likes on 132 Posts

That engine has lasted that long for a reason, so I'd say it's definitely worth a rebuild. That's basically a baby ls2. Good engine imo, might not even need a bore but replace all gaskets, bearings, and seals for sure.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Exactly why I didn't want to eliminate the possibility all together. Any advice on how I can get closer to my hp goal during a rebuild? I know the search button is my friend, and I've been lerking around this site for a while. Just like to hear some direct input for my specific application.

Any votes on just saying screw it, and doing a junk yard 5.3 and ebay turbo for a relatively cheap/easy 500 crank hp?
Old 01-30-2016, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 188 Likes on 132 Posts

You already have a junkyard 5.3 and there's nothing wrong with it. If you insist on getting another engine feel free to give me your junk l33
Old 01-31-2016, 11:59 AM
Teching In

The engine appears to have plenty of life left, but I'd like to prepare for a future build now. I put about 20-25k a year on this truck.

Quick Reply: L33: worth rebuilding?