Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ERL Dry Sleeved Block, wanna run Evans Coolant. Which one ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ERL Dry Sleeved Block, wanna run Evans Coolant. Which one ?

I have ERL dry sleeved block with 427ci rotating assembly for N/A street use
I already have Evans water pump and would like to use evans coolant, heard nothing but good things about these coolants. I live in Middle East where the lowest temperature in winter is between 44 F and 62 F. In summer is different story, at night around 86 F and day time it reaches 113 F or even higher

I tried to reach Evans customer service but cannot get hold of them. Can you please suggest which coolant type would work great with my case ?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I would not use Evans Coolant... It's over-priced/ hard to get and if it's mixed with anything else it's no good anymore. Just use Dex-Cool or Green antifreeze after a complete flush. If you have any overheating problems, it's not the coolant.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evans is amazing. There are things to consider as mentioned above but IMO, the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives. Especially when you consider that it is "lifetime" coolant. You can capture and reuse it forever.
I have used their now renamed NPG+ coolant in street cars with no issues and many many years of successful trouble free service. I believe they have renamed this one their "high performance coolant" - green label. I have also never switched out a water pump in order to use it. Just used the stock ones. No problems.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Evans coolant

I have experience with NPG coolant going back to the late 1970's. I had engines running at 300 plus degrees in desert racing with no damage.
I used to recommend Evans NPG R coolant because it was a bit less viscous than NPG making it easier to fill the system. I am not sure if the High Performance coolant is the same as the Type R. If so I would recommend that. If not stick with NPG.
Evans LS coolant pumps use a larger shaft and thus bigger bearings and a much better impeller design (higher flow rate) than the factory pump. For your area I would have gotten a pump with the bypass welded shut. That increases the flow rate of the pump even more. Leave the thermostat out and run a low pressure cap, 7.5 pounds works fine and make certain the system is completely full.
When you install Evans, the system must be clean and dry. You can first flush the sytem using their prep fluid or if available, Sierra anti freeze will do the job to flush the system. If you can't get it all out no big deal. Evans will mix with it without reducing the boiling point which is 375 degrees.
The Evans crew was at Pomona for the Winternationals. Most likely why you didn't get an answer when you called. Try again next week. They should be back there Tuesday.

Steve
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net

Quick Reply: ERL Dry Sleeved Block, wanna run Evans Coolant. Which one ?