Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is LXL lobe proprietary to Comp Cams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is LXL lobe proprietary to Comp Cams?

I ordered a cam for my LS7 from Vengeance Racing that was marketed as 235/243 .657/.660 on "LXL exhaust lobe". I assumed "LXL" meant it was a Comp Cams lobe but when I received my cam I noticed it was manufactured by someone other than Comp. Vengeance informed me it was manufactured by CamMotion, which is fine, but can it still be an LXL lobe from a company other than Comp?
Old 03-15-2016, 08:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GNon18s
I ordered a cam for my LS7 from Vengeance Racing that was marketed as 235/243 .657/.660 on "LXL exhaust lobe". I assumed "LXL" meant it was a Comp Cams lobe but when I received my cam I noticed it was manufactured by someone other than Comp. Vengeance informed me it was manufactured by CamMotion, which is fine, but can it still be an LXL lobe from a company other than Comp?
Sir if you do not wish to accept our word via email I would suggest contacting Cam Motion direct as I doubt many on here are familiar with either company's specific abilities.

I will also offer to exchange your camshaft for a cam cut by Comp Cams, but as mentioned in the email earlier today this will be on a different core material than the camshaft you currently have.

Feel free to email or call. We are happy to help any way we can.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Cam Motion can cut any lobe you want. Period. LXL itself may be custom to Comp, but the specs of the lobe are widely know... and Cam Motion can cut identical lobes on their superior cores.

Keep what you have.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Sir if you do not wish to accept our word via email I would suggest contacting Cam Motion direct as I doubt many on here are familiar with either company's specific abilities.

I will also offer to exchange your camshaft for a cam cut by Comp Cams, but as mentioned in the email earlier today this will be on a different core material than the camshaft you currently have.

Feel free to email or call. We are happy to help any way we can.
Do not take offense to this post, my experience with Vengeance thus far has been a good one. I just know there's at least 3-5 guys on here that love to talk about cam profiles ect. Im not an expert but I do research a fair amount before I commit to something as important as a camshaft. With that said, I researched the Comp LXL lobe profile before choosing this cam, naturally I had questions when I realized the cam did not come from Comp. I don't think I said anything negative about any company here, just trying to take cam selection as seriously as possible before seeing 7k RPM on the back stretch at Watkins Glen!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

The LXL lobes are proprietary to Comp, but that doesn't mean someone like Cam Motion can't duplicate the specs if they chose to.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:14 AM
FormerVendor

Do not take offense to this post, my experience with Vengeance thus far has been a good one. I just know there's at least 3-5 guys on here that love to talk about cam profiles ect. Im not an expert but I do research a fair amount before I commit to something as important as a camshaft. With that said, I researched the Comp LXL lobe profile before choosing this cam, naturally I had questions when I realized the cam did not come from Comp. I don't think I said anything negative about any company here, just trying to take cam selection as seriously as possible before seeing 7k RPM on the back stretch at Watkins Glen!
No offense taken at all sir. As I said we are happy to help any way we can. If you prefer an actual Comp grind we can make that happen. Just let us know.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

You would be a complete fool to trade a Cam Motion core for a Comp core.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Cam Motion can cut any lobe you want. Period. LXL itself may be custom to Comp, but the specs of the lobe are widely know... and Cam Motion can cut identical lobes on their superior cores.

Keep what you have.
Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Bam, all that needs to be said.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Pretty sure any talk of "trading" the cam did not come from me but thank you for your colorful comment.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:50 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm actually curious about this. Is CamMotion actually copying Comp Cams' lobe profiles? Or just copying duration and lobe lift?
Old 03-16-2016, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KCS
I'm actually curious about this. Is CamMotion actually copying Comp Cams' lobe profiles? Or just copying duration and lobe lift?
We would Never copy someone else's lobes. There are none I have seen that we want to copy. We have our own designs .We will make any duration and lift the customer asks for but we will not give him the .006 and .200 numbers he wants unless it is going to be stable. Why make lobes that will be noisie and not RPM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Kip Fabre
We would Never copy someone else's lobes. There are none I have seen that we want to copy. We have our own designs .We will make any duration and lift the customer asks for but we will not give him the .006 and .200 numbers he wants unless it is going to be stable. Why make lobes that will be noisie and not RPM.
Thanks for clearing that up Kip. So the OP actually didn't get an LXL lobe. Just a cam with matching duration @ .050" and lobe lift numbers.

Last edited by KCS; 03-17-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

Pretty sure any talk of "trading" the cam did not come from me but thank you for your colorful comment.
You're welcome.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like Vengeance could update their website. It still says comp cams on some of the pages even though further down it gives the choices of 3 difference cam cores that Cam Motion offers.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just out of curiosity. Why would the OP's Cam Motion cam exhaust lobe be identified as a LXL lobe if it isn't a Comp lobe?
Old 03-17-2016, 10:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the Cam Motion cut camshaft with Kip's lobes (or possibly Vengeance lobes as Kip will make lobes for those that are dealers of his).

I have been nothing but absolutely pleased with Kip's camshaft's. He gave me a lot of advice and insight during the design phase of my new lobes and he has taught me a lot when it comes to actual velocity, acceleration and jerk and how they are manipulated.

Simply put, you will not be dissatisfied with the product you received from Vengeance if Kip ground it.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:50 PM
Launching!

I dont think the question is if cam motions lobes are better or worse than comp. The question is if he specifically ordered lxl lobes, why didnt he get lxl lobes.

vengeance offered to switch it which is nice, you would hope they were just confused on what he wanted
Old 03-18-2016, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Kip makes the easiest lobes on the valvetrain and they perform. That is a win win.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would assume the lobe design you have from Cam Motion is very similar to the LXL lobe from Comp, but Kip would be able to answer that question in more depth and with great certainty. If it were me, I would just keep what you have, but Vengeance has given you the option to return the cam and have them cut the cam on a Comp core, using Comp lobes (i.e. LXL exhaust lobe).
Old 03-27-2016, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
The LXL lobes are proprietary to Comp, but that doesn't mean someone like Cam Motion can't duplicate the specs if they chose to.
A quick look and I found no Comp Cams nor Cam Motion patents on LXL. It is therefore a free for all name to use.

But I think we all know Comp has a nice inventory of lobes.

Renaming my new cam to : SR-CDXVI CAM.

Last edited by 03EBZ06; 03-27-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Is LXL lobe proprietary to Comp Cams?