Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

5.3 LC9 dod delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 LC9 dod delete

First off, this site is helpful and awesome. Now the problem. My brother has a 2008 Avalanche with an LC9. A lifter failed so the delete kit was ordered. We installed everything including new exhaust headers and a cam with ls7 lifters. Cam is a comp can single bolt, he ordered everything from summit and gave the guy on the phone his vin and everything. The guy asked if he wanted to keep his vvt, my brother said yes so when parts got here it was a vvt comp cam and a limiter kit for the vvt. Into the install we found out the engine is a non vvt. We talked to summit and they said "it'll be fine, install the cam" so I did. Truck runs and sounds great. Also tuned with a trinity. So no check engine light for dod. My question is did we do wrong by putting a vvt cam into a non vvt engine? Again it runs great, especially at and after 2000 rpm. But I personally feel the bottom end is really low on power. Thanks for any input
Old 04-11-2016, 09:53 AM

161 views and no one has any input? thanks guys!
Old 04-11-2016, 12:43 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by ggray87
161 views and no one has any input? thanks guys!
Don't be a douche. Most people don't mess with VVT so there aren't a lot of people that would be able to help with your question. That 161 views is probably 161 people that read your post, didn't know the answer, and decided to do the right thing not to reply with some wild *** guess.

With that said, I'm pretty sure you fucked up. You can do the research yourself to find out exactly how bad, and if it's worth it to fix it, but I do know that the VVT cams are different from non-VVT cams as far as installed centerlines, meaning it could be installed more retarded than it was meant to even if it is dot-to-dot on the gear. There are actually two different VVT cam cores for the two different cam phasers, and using the incorrect core will result in the cam centerlines being off. That basically means that with a non-VVT gear, your installed centerlines are now either off or way off.

My advice to you is to go back and degree the cam. See where it's at and decide if you want to remove the cam or just use an adjustable timing set to move the cam where it's supposed to be. Depending on the size of the cam and how far off the centerlines are, you may want to check PTV too.

In the future, try not to get butthurt because you didn't get a response in less than 24 hours.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Not only that, but aren't the VVT cams drilled to direct oil from one of the cam journals to the phasers on the nose of the cam?
Old 04-11-2016, 01:06 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Not only that, but aren't the VVT cams drilled to direct oil from one of the cam journals to the phasers on the nose of the cam?
Yup. It's probably not too much of a problem though. The cam will just fill with oil and drain out. Not ideal, but probably not detrimental.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by KCS
Yup. It's probably not too much of a problem though. The cam will just fill with oil and drain out. Not ideal, but probably not detrimental.
Thank you for your knowledgeable reply. I wasn't being impatient, merely
Wanted to know weather or not to order a new replacement cam or not. I've never dealt with vvt, I searched the forums and failed to get an answer. But I've contacted comp cams and summit racing and the new can has been ordered. Again thank you for your responses. I'll post after the install on if there was an improvement to the bottom end. And I hope this helps someone in the future if they happen to be in the same situation.

Quick Reply: 5.3 LC9 dod delete