Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LH8 in my hummer cam question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LH8 in my hummer cam question

Since I am helping my nephew, it got me thinking about upgrades myself.. Nothing crazy of course.. but since my motor is a 5.3L LH8 in a hummer h3 alpha..

what would be a good cam upgrade for it? would I use a gen 3 or a gen 4 cam? I dont have vvt and my hummer was the last year so im told before they went to flex fuel on the h3 alpha models.

I am not looking for OMG race car performance.. its a hummer for heavens sake ill be lucky to ever run a 15 second 1/4mi lol... But dont mean I can get some more fun out of it? I was thinking of an RV style cam, but not really an expert. So I will list what I am expecting my cam to do and hopefully you guys can point me to one that would be a good fit.

-good idle, builds power to 6000-6200rpm
-will allow use of stock torque converter
-more of a good exhaust sound (it can effect idle some but I dont want it to sound like a huge cammed vette)
id like to add some grunt torque just for if I tow my quads or something. Not that I have issues now but more never hurt anyone (i dont think)
-finally something that wont kill my gas mileage, id like to stay about what my factory MPG is, or if possible improve it? id say im ok with +/-mpg with a cam change with the way I drive. and I dont want to change fuel injectors id like to leave those OEM.

in all id like to add around 40-50whp to my alpha, by doing a cam/springs, true dual exhausts, and a full tune job. is it possible without affecting its drive ability much?

Please advise guys. id love forced induction and call it quits but heh I dont ave 4-5-6K to drop on something that I am not truly worried about. Just think it be a nice weekend project once I get my nephew done, and I get all the parts in hand to do this job.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

I considered just an OEM LS6 cam, but not sure if it would be a good choice or not?
Old 11-28-2016, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Interesting question, I am looking for same answer, except I have a 2009 Colorado, LH8 also, no VVT. I'd like to swap in a cam, then headers and exhaust, then a tune. It too will be an everyday driver, so nothing too radical. I'd expect a little drop in MPG, can't have your cake.... etc.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

212/218 cam seems to be the best overall 5.3 cam for a truck. The LS6 cam will suck in a heavy hummer.

Quick Reply: LH8 in my hummer cam question