Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS4 AFM Lifter failure?

Old 05-05-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 AFM Lifter failure?

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum not 100% certain of this would be the correct area for this post but anyway I've got some Questions.

Recently have had some strange sounds coming from my motor, I immediately assumed it was something off the accessory drive end but after listening with a stethoscope I don't hear anything from front end also none of the pulleys wiggle or have play.

I pulled the valve covers on both sides and tried wiggling the rocker arms to see if a AFM / DOD lifter was completely failed like I've seen in some YouTube videos, but all my rocker arms are nice and stiff.

I'm wondering if there is some in between for the failure of these types of lifters. I have a good video of the sound I'll post.

It was throwing a misfire code at idle never while driving, for cylinder number 4 which is a deactivating cylinder however I flushed my engine with some sea foam and changed the oil and it hasn't been misfiring.

If anyone has some good info on this topic I'd love to read about it. I've done a lot of research on a delete but I'm not certain if I want to do it. Being a front wheel drive car I don't want to have to pull the camshaft or reprogram the ECM. However changing AFM lifters wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Attached Files
Old 05-06-2016, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Pull the belt and run just to be sure its not any of the accessories .
Old 05-07-2016, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen them fail both ways on an LS4. One time the rocker was loose, one time all rockers were tight. Spinning the motor showed one not moving like the rest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS4 AFM Lifter failure?