Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Low oil pressure in a 17 mile crate ls3

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 432 Likes on 303 Posts

Hopefully they can get you in and out in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, figure I'd go ahead and update you guys on what we figured out. Looks like there was aluminum chips in the engine from the factory. The machine shop found some on the edges of the rings and it looks like that's what scratched up the cylinders. Apparently I'm not the only one that's had problems with Chev not doing a good job cleaning out these engines. One of my buddies friend had a vette do the same thing back in 08, and from what I hear one of the companies that does ls swaps on miatas had an engine go from the same thing. Kinda blows, don't see how I could have prevented it other than tearing the engine down from day 1. I know for sure it wasn't chips from me since I had my ports covered from the day I got it and it was one of the things I was most careful about.

I guess no matter how well you prepared and careful you are, there's some stuff you'll never be able to prevent. Engines and life aren't so different are they?
Old 12-17-2016, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

Why didn't you try to contact Jegs about this and see if GM will replace the engine under warranty?

Andrew

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure in a 17 mile crate ls3