Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

01 TA LS1 - Swap in Crate LS/LT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 01 TA LS1 - Swap in Crate LS/LT?

01 TA WS6, 90K
Full BMR Suspension
9” Moser 3.75 Wavetrac
Stock LS1 block, LS6 ported heads, big cam 590 lift (poor idle). All torque/power after 4k RPM
T56 Trans (could use a rebuild)
Welded sub-frame connectors
Wiring harness look brittle and like a spaghetti bowl
Accessories are aged and noisy

I'm now more of a crate-motor type of guy. For the last week I've been reading about swaps geared towards saving money, moving sensors, replacing cam/crank gears (etc). I'm not looking to throw money away, but am thinking of spending $10-15k on a motor/trans plug-n-play combo.

No strip/track racing, just good-old fashioned street/corner action. Good idle quality with plenty of torque through-out the RPM band.

Looked into used GEN V LT1/T-56 (junkyard) for $10-12k, too much risk, lost cabin functionality and potential lifter coking (stress).

LS3 Hotcam GM Crate with T56 magnum plug-n-play package for about $13k: Do I need to worry about cabin features (dash, TCS, ABS, etc.)? The only thing I’ll be retaining from the LS1 is the oil pan (?) and LT headers…so, tune would follow install. Any other packages I should consider?
Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Lots of info already posted on swapping in a Gen IV engine into an Fbody. There's a sticky even.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
Lots of info already posted on swapping in a Gen IV engine into an Fbody. There's a sticky even.
Maybe I'm not searching the right words. Most of what I've been reading talks about swapping and retaining the current harness and accessories. Lots said about Gen IV fitting w/out a problem. Not much about replacing with new harness/cpu. Gen v said that cpu will cause me to lose some cabin features. There's also a debate in every thread when torque curve is mentioned.

How can I contribute and recieve eye-opening feedback allowing me to proceed with confidence?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:55 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by Pbarby
Maybe I'm not searching the right words. Most of what I've been reading talks about swapping and retaining the current harness and accessories. Lots said about Gen IV fitting w/out a problem. Not much about replacing with new harness/cpu. Gen v said that cpu will cause me to lose some cabin features. There's also a debate in every thread when torque curve is mentioned.

How can I contribute and recieve eye-opening feedback allowing me to proceed with confidence?
Why replace the harness?
Old 02-20-2017, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
Why replace the harness?
Looks like crap and dingy. It's already had some splicing done and wires are all over the place unprotected...I'm afraid if some wires are pulled too hard they'll break. When investing this much, I don't mind investing a little more especially if it keeps me from opening up or drilling into a new motor.

I appreciate your responses KCS. Any advice is appreciated. My biggest thing is the torque curve down low...from 2-2.5 rpm and on. I don't mind losing top end as I don't plan on driving over 120 MPH...if that high. Changing the rear end seems out of the question since the guy I bought the car from already spent 3k+ on the rear end in it (3.75 wavtrac in a 9" moser).
Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by Pbarby
Looks like crap and dingy. It's already had some splicing done and wires are all over the place unprotected...I'm afraid if some wires are pulled too hard they'll break. When investing this much, I don't mind investing a little more especially if it keeps me from opening up or drilling into a new motor.

I appreciate your responses KCS. Any advice is appreciated. My biggest thing is the torque curve down low...from 2-2.5 rpm and on. I don't mind losing top end as I don't plan on driving over 120 MPH...if that high. Changing the rear end seems out of the question since the guy I bought the car from already spent 3k+ on the rear end in it (3.75 wavtrac in a 9" moser).
Why not replace with another Fbody harness? It would simplify the swap and keep all your creature comforts. You might even be able to get a brand new aftermarket harness that incorporates the provisions needed for the relocated cam sensor and knock sensors on the Gen IV blocks.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Ok. So changing to anything other than a LS1 cpu will cause me to lose interior luxuries. I'd have to contact a harness maker for a harness based on the car I have and the motor I'm putting in since the old harness is done for. That's helps a lot. Thanks.

Any other plug n play options I should consider? I may be willing to go with a LS3 430hp and swap for a different cam...I seem to have developed tunnel vision, though. keep thinking about the wrecked stingray gen5 lt1 too. I really want good torque through out the rpms and willing to sacrifice hp to do so.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if anyone has ever done a Gen V, F-body, but it would be interesting to see.

How do you like the Wavetrac rear in the corners? I was looking at the same thing, as it sounds about half way between a limited-slip, and Acura's SH-AWD (Super Handling) which accelerates the outside wheel in a corner.

You can buy a lightly-used harness from a matching car to yours, rather than paying extra to have a custom made one--although that will look nicer. I just rewired mine, and the stock wires are surprisingly durable on a 19 year old car with 207K miles, mostly in the LA heat.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Bill @ BP Automotive can build a custom engine harness for your car, Mine fit PERFECT!!!

I swapped a 2007 L92 into my car using a Cam Motion LS3 stage 2 cam, Put down 406 HP at 5,600 & 444 foot pounds at 2,950 on a Mustang chassis dyno, Makes VERY good Torque!!!!

I converted my engine to 24X in order to forgo a "58X-24X Converter Box" as I don't trust them, Sample size to small to convince me otherwise.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eb110americana
I don't know if anyone has ever done a Gen V, F-body, but it would be interesting to see.

How do you like the Wavetrac rear in the corners? I was looking at the same thing, as it sounds about half way between a limited-slip, and Acura's SH-AWD (Super Handling) which accelerates the outside wheel in a corner.

You can buy a lightly-used harness from a matching car to yours, rather than paying extra to have a custom made one--although that will look nicer. I just rewired mine, and the stock wires are surprisingly durable on a 19 year old car with 207K miles, mostly in the LA heat.
Wavetrac: I've only put maybe 100 light miles on the car as I'm still getting used to it (been driving an suv and bbc gbody)...this is a new kind of car for me. The wavtrac almost feels like a locked rear end....almost. I've hit the pedal in corners and feel like I could control the slide...it doesn't shoot out lIke my gbody did (Ltd slip posi) but it doesn't stick as easy as I thought...definitely more slide control...fun.

The gen 5 would be my first choice, but hate being the gunny pig especially with a junkyard motor...too many what ifs.

I learned a lot about harnesses today. Regardless of the set up, I'm going with new. I plan on making this cream puff ta a show car...modified show car that will be driven.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Bill @ BP Automotive can build a custom engine harness for your car, Mine fit PERFECT!!!

I swapped a 2007 L92 into my car using a Cam Motion LS3 stage 2 cam, Put down 406 HP at 5,600 & 444 foot pounds at 2,950 on a Mustang chassis dyno, Makes VERY good Torque!!!!

I converted my engine to 24X in order to forgo a "58X-24X Converter Box" as I don't trust them, Sample size to small to convince me otherwise.

I came across bp automotive website earlier. I'll keep him in mind.

L92 is a good idea...truck motors are generally more focused on torque...made to handle cylinder pressure. That's a lot of torque at the rear wheels. Congrats.

Quick Reply: 01 TA LS1 - Swap in Crate LS/LT?