Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

TSP Stage 4 LS3 235/248 .649"/.615" Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sales2@Texas-speed
We've measured the 235/248 at .050 PTV clearance for the intake on a stock LS3. I've yet to see anyone have any hitting issues even buzzing 7k RPM. It's completely a drop in cam for an LS3 and has been used a ton already. If it's a completely stock setup, there has to be an issue with the measurement. Did you clay this?
PM sent.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chevyss2008
What were the measurements?
My measurements? I measured 0.031" PTV on the intake and 0.045" on the exhaust. See post 15.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, TSP measurments....and on what heads? Stock?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by joyridin'
I am always scratching my head when I read about cams like this. What do the manufacturers use as a baseline for determining if the cam will fit in your engine without hitting the valves? If they are advertising this as a LS3 cam, should it not fit in a bone stock LS3 without modifications (except to the rocker trunions and springs for the extra lift)? If it does not fit in a stock engine, shouldn't they state this so you know you have to check it under all circumstances?
You're doing performance mods. You gotta be prepared to mod your car in order to mod your car.

Saying a cam is a LS3 cam and then finding out I have to flycut Pistons is no big deal to me. That's part of the price of entry into this hobby.

No different than having to grind your water pump or bend your crossover piping to fit an aftermarket "LS3" intake...
Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Launching!

That's your opinion...There are some out there that take it literally when a vendor promotes a product that is a "drop in" and insinuates no other mods need be done to accommodate its fitting
Old 05-18-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Saying something is a "drop-in" USUALLY means no other mods needed, or minor ones at the most. However, for example, when someone says "LS3 cam", that means it is recommended for an LS3, but does NOT imply no other mods needed. You can't read more into something than is directly said.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Saying something is a "drop-in" USUALLY means no other mods needed, or minor ones at the most. However, for example, when someone says "LS3 cam", that means it is recommended for an LS3, but does NOT imply no other mods needed. You can't read more into something than is directly said.
You are not following. Go to TSP's website and read the description of the cam. This cam is advertised as having "adequate piston-to-valve clearance on a stock short-block."

This was also stated in post #18.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NEstyle
Of course, that's pretty basic information that pretty much anyone here knows. The concern is PTV, and this cam is advertised as having "adequate piston-to-valve clearance on a stock short-block."
It never fails to surprise me how many people here do NOT know what many here consider "pretty basic information". If you read something you already know to be true, call it confirmation of knowledge and move on. There might be some who do NOT know what is put up here.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
You're doing performance mods. You gotta be prepared to mod your car in order to mod your car.

Saying a cam is a LS3 cam and then finding out I have to flycut Pistons is no big deal to me. That's part of the price of entry into this hobby.

No different than having to grind your water pump or bend your crossover piping to fit an aftermarket "LS3" intake...
That has nothing to do with my question. My question was simple. If they advertise a cam for a LS3, why are they stating to check PTV clearance? Either it fits in a bone stock engine or it does not. If not, then say you need to check PTV due to clearance issues. I would assume all cams designed have a baseline. I assume the baseline is a bone stock engine.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Calling an engine an LS3 does NOT imply it is bone stock. They are stating to check
PTV clearance because it needs to be checked, because of POTENTIAL clearance issues.
Assuming a baseline is a bone stock engine is your error. In a performance part install, assume nothing! You are changing conditions and/or characteristics of an engine, stock or not. As Darth says, "Be prepared to mod your car in order to mod your car."
Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joyridin'
If they advertise a cam for a LS3, why are they stating to check PTV clearance?
Who stated to check check PTV?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Calling an engine an LS3 does NOT imply it is bone stock. They are stating to check
PTV clearance because it needs to be checked, because of POTENTIAL clearance issues.
Assuming a baseline is a bone stock engine is your error. In a performance part install, assume nothing! You are changing conditions and/or characteristics of an engine, stock or not. As Darth says, "Be prepared to mod your car in order to mod your car."
You need to stop posting until you read the entire thread and read TSPs ad for this cam. They never stated to check PTV. Al they stated is that the cam "still offers adequate piston-to-valve clearance on a stock short-block. " Please stop already lol.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Quit making excuses. I read the entire thread, AND the website page on the cam. THREE TIMES. And you did NOT put this cam in an LS3, which is a 6.2L engine. You put it in an L77, a 6.0 engine, which could have different piston compression height or crown shape than an LS3. You changed the conditions from what TSP is citing. The cam fits a STOCK SHORT BLOCK ELL ESS THREE! NO mention of any other engine! So quit complaining.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Launching!

You put it in an L77, a 6.0 engine, which could have different piston compression height or crown shape than an LS3.
Nope, wrong again. They are the same.

The cam fits a STOCK SHORT BLOCK ELL ESS THREE! NO mention of any other engine!
TSP says it's the same/will fit the same because there's no difference between an L77 and an LS3 with respect to cams/PTV. Anyone would tell you the same because it's true. Please do a little research before you post so as not to crud up the thread.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyss2008
That's your opinion...There are some out there that take it literally when a vendor promotes a product that is a "drop in" and insinuates no other mods need be done to accommodate its fitting
That IS my opinion. Trust but verify. Vendor says it fits. great. I'm still measuring, and if I'm convinced the cam is what I want, then I'm flycutting if the clearance isn't there. That's no different than degreeing a cam when you install it to verify the ICL. But i'm not going to flame a vendor for something like this. I'll flame them if it's ground wrong and they don't make it right, but I've never had something like that happen with any of the ls1tech vendors.

BTW - it can't truly be a drop in cam - the lift is too high for stock springs. That alone should warn you it's not drop in...
Old 05-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
That IS my opinion. Trust but verify. Vendor says it fits. great. I'm still measuring, and if I'm convinced the cam is what I want, then I'm flycutting if the clearance isn't there. That's no different than degreeing a cam when you install it to verify the ICL. But i'm not going to flame a vendor for something like this. I'll flame them if it's ground wrong and they don't make it right, but I've never had something like that happen with any of the ls1tech vendors....

I didn't flame the vendor, I merely asked a question!

[/QUOTE]BTW - it can't truly be a drop in cam - the lift is too high for stock springs. That alone should warn you it's not drop in [/QUOTE]

And that just proved my point of asking if it was truly a drop in cam
Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

For all intents and purposes, even if their cam does come out at .031 PTV, which I feel you're probably measuring wrong anyways if TSP says it should have more, is still perfectly fine PTV clearance. There were over a thousand people back in the day running Thunder Racing's old T-Rex cam on a 109 lsa and it was even tighter than that. Heck, LG Motorsports had a cam with only .015 clearance and people ran that on daily drivers. That cam looks to be designed as a Billy bad *** cam for the hard core crowd that will drop in. Flyccutting is not needed even at .031 PTV. I still feel what TSP is saying is on the money with this being a drop in cam.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hamrdown
For all intents and purposes, even if their cam does come out at .031 PTV, which I feel you're probably measuring wrong anyways if TSP says it should have more, is still perfectly fine PTV clearance.
Definitely not measuring wrong, and even they agree that I am not. They told me to run it. The only reason I posted my PTVs in this thread is so other people know what they're up against, and if they're of the mindset that you need 0.080 and 0.100 PTV, then they shouldn't consider this cam.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by NEstyle
Definitely not measuring wrong, and even they agree that I am not. They told me to run it. The only reason I posted my PTVs in this thread is so other people know what they're up against, and if they're of the mindset that you need 0.080 and 0.100 PTV, then they shouldn't consider this cam.
Did you measure with checking springs or real springs?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Checking (see post 15).

Quick Reply: TSP Stage 4 LS3 235/248 .649"/.615" Camshaft