Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LH6 info

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 03:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LH6 info

So I picked up a knocking LH6 with low miles. I'm slightly familiar with the DOD delete kits but none of that is really relevant to me as I'm just after the block. I'm under the impression all I need is an LS2 valley cover and any standard LS front cover and I'm ready to go?

What exactly is DOD and how/why do they fail? And more importantly is there something I need to look for when tearing down this motor that would prevent me from using the block besides the obvious things like lifter or bearing failure? Take in mind absolutely nothing besides the block is going to be used in this build.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you need the valley cover that has the 8 round seals to seal off the DOD towers in the block. For the timing cover, you'll need one with the cam sensor in the cover.

DOD is displacement on demand. The PCM shuts off the oil flow to special lifters in 4 cylinders, eliminating valve movement and shutting down those cylinders. This lets the engine run on the other 4 during steady speed, low power demand operation for better fuel mileage. The special DOD lifters are what commonly fail but it's a failure internally in the lifter so the block will probably be fine.

You'll just have to match your crankshaft position sensor to which crank trigger wheel you use(24x or 58x). Then use the correct cam gear to match(1x gear for 24x trigger wheel or 4x gear for 58x).
Old 04-03-2017, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Read up on this http://www.silveradosierra.com/how-t...vt-t71745.html

I would use a LS3 Valley Cover, it has the o-rings to block off the existing ports as well as a nice PCV System built into it. Look into a Texas Speed AFM/DOD Delete kit. Your stock front timing cover will not need to be changed.

AFM/DOD is Cylinder Deactivation which shuts down 4 Cylinders by keeping the valves from opening and shutting down the 4 fuel injectors. It does this by using 8 collapsible lifters. These lifters are controlled by oil pressure and the ECM. These lifters can fail and trash the cam as well.

Basically, if you want to remove all AFM/DOD hardware, look into a new Non-AFM/DOD Cam, a set of LS7 Lifters, LS3 Valley Cover, Correct Length Pushrods, a good idea for a Spring upgrade as well as swapping to a LS2 Timing chain and dampener. You will also need a gasket kit, Harmonic Damper Bolt, and head bolts or studs for this. It is cheapest to buy this as a kit.

Depending on the condition of the internals, the parts list I would use is:
-LS2 Timing Chain Set from TSP (Includes Chain, Crank Sprocket, and 4 Pole 3-bolt Cam Sprocket) Stock Cam Sprocket is a single bolt and will need to be changed out to a 3-bolt Sprocket.
-LS2 Timing Chain Dampener
-Melling 10295 Oil Pump (Not Necessary but a good upgrade)
-New OE TTY Balancer Bolt or ARP Bolt (ARP is reusable)
-GM OE LS7 lifter set
-New OE TTY Head Bolts or ARP Bolts/Studs (ARP are reusable)
-GM OE MLS Head Gasket Set
-GM OE Water Pump and Timing Cover gaskets/Seal
-GM OE Pan Gasket
-GM OE Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
-LS3 Valley Cover
-LS3/LS7 Lifter Trays

The cam will need to be decided as well, from a small 206/212 to a 224R would be the range for a stockish 5.3. You will also need to upgrade your valve springs and pushrods.

Not everything I listed is necessarily need, such as the Timing Chain Set or Oil Pump. You Can also use all new GM OE TTY Bolts if you wanted instead of ARP. You will, however, need a new cam when you remove the AFM/DOD.

The LH6 Does not have VVT so you do not have to worry about any of that.

Last edited by 07NBSChevy; 04-03-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the clarification guys. I have a pretty drastic build planned out for this motor. Been down this road a time or two just not familiar with these new DOD motors

-thanks
Old 04-09-2017, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

If you want a valley cover without the PCV vent, get one for a LH8.

Andrew

Quick Reply: LH6 info