Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

06 Trailblazer 5.3 VIN M DOD help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Trailblazer 5.3 VIN M DOD help

Good evening
I have an 06 Chevy Trailblazer with 5.3 VIN M. I am about to tear into it and attempt to do a DOD delete. It has zero compression on cylinder 1, misfire cylinder 1 and a random misfire code. It still carries 40 PSI Oil Pressure and other then the lifter tapping it sounds good.
Do you have any advice? Where do you get parts from? I had looked at Texas speed.com. Anything I should do or not due. I would like to have the heads redone while off too. Any other upgrades I should consider? This is a family vehicle, Wanting it to run smooth and quiet but also wouldn't mind a little more power if all that can go into one package. We do pull a trailer with it now and then.

Can the PCM be sent off and programmed or does it need to stay with the vehicle? Can it be ran safely without having it reprogramed
Thanks in advance for your time
Shawn Foster. Terre Haute, Indiana
Old 05-02-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Before I any money into it, I would verify why I didn’t have any compression on number 1 cylinder.
Pull both rocker arms off that cylinder, remove the valve from your compression tester and hook up an air hose to it. Then listen to where the air is escaping from.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Minimum DOD delete parts are 8 non DOD lifters and a non DOD 5.3L cam and the computer work. Everyone will say that you have to replace the valley cover too but I do the computer tuning for a shop that does several DOD deletes a month and that is all they replace. There will be the normal gaskets/bolts required when you R&R the heads and cam too.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You have an LH6 , I like these to build from, the pros ......alum block which can take a 3.9 bore , good intake , 243 heads, flat tops 10:1 cr . Used LH6 command around 2k last time I checked . Delete the DOD and freshen it up.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that motor-LH6 from an '06 trailblazer SS. I pulled the heads off and replaced the lifters with standard lifters and LS6 valvesprings. I replaced the cam with a GM ASA cam, and replaced the single bolt cam pulley with a 3 bolt pulley. I also installed a stock oil pump and timing chain and LS2 tensioner.I found a cheap valley cover for a 4.8-complete with o rings for $28 new.
Since I am swapping into a Volvo, I changed the pan to a Hummer H3.This has a lower pressure relief valve, so combined with the stock oil pump, I should have oil pressure approaching a non-DOD motor.
I haven't fired it yet, but plan to pre-oil before first crank.
I re-used the stock pushrods, the only doubt in my mind is if that is ok with this conversion.
Thoughts?
Old 06-08-2017, 07:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

We have every part you need plus the technical know how to help with any question.

For your dod delete youll need
Complete ls2 valley cover
Head gaskets
Head bolts
Valve cover gaskets
Exhaust gaskets
Ls7 lifters
Ls2 lifter trays
Intake manifold gaskets

That kit runs $375 shipped

We normally run your vin to check which oil pump you have, the vane style oil pump cannot be reused and must be replaced with the ls6 oil pump.
In the case of a new oil pump youll need
front cover gasket/seal kit
Crank bolt
Oil pump

For the extra parts its $130 shipped.

We have all of these parts for the BEST price on the interwebs also!! Everything is on hand also and can ship asap!

We can also honestly say that you HAVE to change the valley cover and if you have a vane style pump you HAVE to change that also. There are all sorts of issues we have seen from not doing it, whether you stay stock cam or not plus all sorts of trash collects around the top of the dod towers as well.
Better to be safe than sorry.

On the comp part, id recommend a custom tune from a local reputable shop. That is the only way to get the best out of your setup even stock.

Last edited by tech@WS6store; 06-08-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 06 Trailblazer 5.3 VIN M DOD help