Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What oil pressure should I expect on new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,229 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
You have to put oil in a engine? Ah **** be right back!
Not always... only if it's gonna run more than 90 seconds... lol
Be sure to check with KingtalOn first...

Last edited by G Atsma; 06-20-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally 0w30 in an engine thats notoriously prone to oil pressure related mishaps is a recipe for disaster. I'd prefer to sacrifice a fraction of hp and run 20w50 than torch bearings
Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dogsballs
Personally 0w30 in an engine thats notoriously prone to oil pressure related mishaps is a recipe for disaster. I'd prefer to sacrifice a fraction of hp and run 20w50 than torch bearings
Which one is thicker at room temperature 5w30 or 0w30?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

Well the friction issue isnt all youd have to worry about with 20/50...heat as well. Ls engines are massey Ferguson's. No need to run mystik in them.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
Nothing has been taken out of context. It says right there 90psi at 7000rpm. According to the mod, that is complete BS for ls engines. My point was only that you can't make a blanket statement like that.

get mad
Hi,
I did not imply that I recommend that anyone needs 90psi or say you would get 90psi if you use our products. I was just saying what psi we run.
I will say in my opinion 46psi for the OP's build is on the low side for 6000rpm. Just my opinion.

Thanks
Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!

Last edited by saccitycorvette; 06-22-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Saccity Corvette says NOTHING about the 10psi/1K rule in the above quote you cite. So they are NOT "complete BS" in this thread, as you state. You are getting good at flaming people who know a LOT more about this stuff than you do. You just want to pick info bits apart and use them against each other, instead of reading between the lines and forming good info out of all of it. Chill, dude....
Thanks Atsma!

Christian

Old 06-22-2017, 04:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
So you quote saccity without even knowing what their products are or do? They were specifically talking about the operating parameters and testing they have perosnally done on their specific engine not laying down the cover and backing for the book on ls oil pressure.
You do ZERO research besides google and some bs you try to elegantly lay out, which is still only as good as the first page of a google search and have no idea on advanced theory. Stick with imports bud, theyll work better for you.

It was obvious i was asking you as KCS knows more than I do and so on up the totem pole.

Id say the forum joke is you.

As a forum vendor and sponsor, i normally dont go into diatribes like this but seriously you have made a pretty bad impression on everyone and still haven't learned anything.
Learn, then speak. That will get you places.
Thanks WS6store for reading my post and understand what I was saying and for trying to enlighten kingtal0n!

Christian

Old 06-22-2017, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

10W40 oil is another option.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The only thing I ever said about saccity in this thread was:
1. they have an engine with 90psi @ 7000rpm
2. they are oil system authorities

This was all that was ever implied. Anything else you "see" is poor reading comprehension or tal0n hate on behalf of the reader (you need ur brain to calm down)

Next, please see the original Post to which I was responding:
Originally Posted by 07NBSChevy
20-40 psi at hot idle is normal. The AFM/DOD motors idle around 22 PSI.
40-60 psi at rpm is also normal. Some LS engines have a relief that goes off at 55 PSI.
I think GM Recommends 10 psi per 1,000 RPM with a minimum of 10 or 15 idle psi, with a pressure relief to monitor max psi.

You were definitely in the correct range.

Not saying you used the wrong oil, but was there any reason you did not use 5w-30 in your engine? I have always been told on a new engine/built engine or an engine with tighter tolerances you should use the recommended 5w-30.

Break it down:
"40-60 psi at rpm is also normal. Some LS engines have a relief that goes off at 55 PSI. "

This says X is between 40 and 60. It also says there is a relief at 55psi. a relief at 55 means that 55 is the max pressure. This could be the pressure max for a given engine and it should not fall below or rise above this pressure once it achieves this max pressure. any engine with 55psi at 950rpm and 45psi at 6000rpm is suspect of oil system problems.

Next,
"I think GM Recommends 10 psi per 1,000 RPM with a minimum of 10 or 15 idle psi, with a pressure relief to monitor max psi."

This says that X is a completely different number than the other above quoted sentence. It is a completely different equation with a completely different result. I do not combine or consider the two statements as equals, they are separate and mean different things. In this quote, X is an equation: X = (rpm/100)psi. I tutor students in math, when I see a statement I rip the formula out of it and look distinctively. This is the equation to which I responded with my statement "How can anyone say that 45psi is good at 7000rpm" or whatever, strictly based on 'GM's recommendation' if such a thing exists. I have no idea what GM recommends i was only responding to this one person, without calling them out by name or using a quote in order to not seem like an ******* in the progress. The main point I was trying to make, I stated clearly: If I saw 45psi at max rpm I would be looking for an oil system problem. Its The same as the oil authority's recommendation:
Originally Posted by saccitycorvette
I will say in my opinion 46psi for the OP's build is on the low side for 6000rpm. Just my opinion.

Yall noobs want to rage or hateraid all you want, still can't change the fact what I am writing is accurate. lrn2read
Old 06-23-2017, 01:55 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yall noobs want to rage or hateraid all you want, still can't change the fact what I am writing is accurate. lrn2read
Not everything...

...you are right...

...sometimes i forget...

I wasn't even thinking... until you brought it up.

Yes I completely agree 10psi at idle is iffy...

...I was not careful with word intent and got it mixed up...
Old 06-23-2017, 04:16 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Since his thread can't seem to stay on topic, consider it Moderated.

Quick Reply: What oil pressure should I expect on new engine?