Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

109k LS2 for Swap - Request recommended service

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 109k LS2 for Swap - Request recommended service

Hello All,

Recently picked up a total'd GTO for an engine swap, and has a decent sounding LS2 in it. I'm going to pull it apart, and want to know if there is there anything i should check and plan on replacing with it being a 109k mile engine? I'm likely to put a new cam/lifters in it, likely timing chain, but not sure if i should watch out for anything else.

(May have a small cam in it due to the idle.. or just needs a tuneup. And that is not a cold rev, there's an edit to pull ~3-4 minutes of boring idle)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...UVGZlJUQ0EzSHM
Old 07-14-2017, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,039 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I would say freshen up the top end; if cam/lifters are the plan, then you will need valve springs and possibly pushrods of the correct length (check for that; there are threads here on doing it). A new timing chain and oil pump, along with a complete upper-end gasket set with front and rear cover gaskets. Best bet is to call WS6 store (a sponsor/vendor of this site) and tell them your situation. You will be dealt with fairly and accurately, with good pricing and service. Have fun with this!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

The 2005 and 2006 GTO's often had water pump and t-stat housing issues. Other than that, they are solid engine wise.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^^^^Good points!^^^^^^
Old 07-15-2017, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Should do cam/lifters(TICK stg.1 V2) and springs/push rods. Freshen the heads, VJ, surface and just leave the stock short block alone. Would be quite the strong runner with great drivability.
If you know it ran with good oil pressure then I would not even break the rod caps or mains just to peak cuz I've seen the big ends of rods distort after re torquing and that could take out a bearing pretty quick
Old 07-15-2017, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Put a new oil pump on it...cheap insurance.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone!

high-level Parts-list so far:

Maybe start off with package in: http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...r-ls2-engines/

Oil Pup
Cam
Lifters
Pushrods
Valve Springs
Fresh Gaskets all around.
Surface the heads
Maybe replace water pump while it's out.

Think the Ticket Street Heat stage 1 packaged with headers/intake/tune is worth 400rwhp? Or should i just go big with the Stage 2, or the Polluter if i want to get nasty later with heads/intake.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts

Gtos had major issues with spinning rod bearings esp on cyls 7 and 8. Usually their pan design is to blame. Some like to lift ring lands back there also.

We have a complete package that will net well over 400rwhp on a gto so youd make more in any swap also that is less $$ invested also. It doesnt have a flashy name though.

We can get you set up with every single piece you need along with tech support and any questions you have.

I would check the rear rods and bearings back there first. Do not use that pan if you can help it either. Upgrading to a quality oil pump and uncapping the backs of the heads will allow for better coolant flow and heat exchange and not cause other issues normally associated with the gtos. TBSS had the same issues mostly related to the same root causes, but also because of some crap parameters in the gm tuning.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You will need a new pan, the front sump don't fit much and had oiling issues..
Old 09-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Gtos had major issues with spinning rod bearings esp on cyls 7 and 8. Usually their pan design is to blame. Some like to lift ring lands back there also.

We have a complete package that will net well over 400rwhp on a gto so youd make more in any swap also that is less $$ invested also. It doesnt have a flashy name though.

We can get you set up with every single piece you need along with tech support and any questions you have.

I would check the rear rods and bearings back there first. Do not use that pan if you can help it either. Upgrading to a quality oil pump and uncapping the backs of the heads will allow for better coolant flow and heat exchange and not cause other issues normally associated with the gtos. TBSS had the same issues mostly related to the same root causes, but also because of some crap parameters in the gm tuning.
What exactly is this process ?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Basically the "steam holes" should be plumbed so coolant/steam can bleed up and out of the system to ensure all air escapes. There is a steam hole at each end of the head, some of which might have a plug in them.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Basically the "steam holes" should be plumbed so coolant/steam can bleed up and out of the system to ensure all air escapes. There is a steam hole at each end of the head, some of which might have a plug in them.
So remove plug, then route plumbing where?
Old 09-27-2017, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Hibs
So remove plug, then route plumbing where?
Like this from Earls

Connects back to where it normally would on radiator etc
Old 09-27-2017, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Cool thanks. I'm working on an '07 TBSS, in the process of head and camp swap. I'll check out those plugs before I plop on the new heads. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 109k LS2 for Swap - Request recommended service