Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

AFR LS3 Head Thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:09 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default AFR LS3 Head Thoughts...

http://www.airflowresearch.com/260cc-ls3-cylinder-head/

Well, here's the new one from AFR, and I can't find any real data/useage threads about it, so I figured I'd start a thread here about them and see if anyone had any experience with them yet.

I'd be looking to run these on my Wife's CTS-V (mods in sig) and I'd have an 8.6 lower pulley to throw on as well, and a cam that's still TBD.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Dr Whigham
Good to hear from you it's been a while!
64 Post is building a 416" drag engine with these Heads, Cam Motion LLSR,
and Holley Hi Ram. Expect results by end of September.
Very Impressed with the Heads.
Tony Mamo designed these heads before leaving AFR, after having
MAMOFIED many sets of TFS LS3 Heads (which I used in my build).
Port is pretty much ~95% of a MAMOFIED TFS LS3 Head for the same
Cost as TFS LS3.
Best LS3 Head out of the box for the money IMO.
Intake valves are heavy @ 125 gm though.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:07 PM
The Scammer Hammer

That was my BIGGEST question... if Tony had a hand in their design before he left (no pun intended)

As for the Valves, I'm not sure their length but I would absolutely want them swapped to a Ferrea hollow-stem. And if the valve angle is 12*, I'm assuming it would take LS7 rockers?
Old 07-30-2017, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Mast ls3 heads are honkey dory too
Old 07-30-2017, 01:12 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by big hammer
Agreed. I had a set of their small bores and although I never got to install them (Sold the C5 for the C6Z) they were an absolute work of art, and HEAVY.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Agreed. I had a set of their small bores and although I never got to install them (Sold the C5 for the C6Z) they were an absolute work of art, and HEAVY.
Too bad you never got to try them. I bet they'd be great on a 383
Old 07-30-2017, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

That was my BIGGEST question... if Tony had a hand in their design before he left (no pun intended)

As for the Valves, I'm not sure their length but I would absolutely want them swapped to a Ferrea hollow-stem. And if the valve angle is 12*, I'm assuming it would take LS7 rockers?
The Last Head Tony designed before leaving AFR.
12* Valve angle confirmed. The valves are longer VS stock
LS3, same length as TFS, 5.2" or 5.4" VS 4.9".
Tony has lighter intake valves @ 99 gm, I would get those
Or even have him set the Heads up for you, available bare from
Summit. Don't know about LS7 rockers.

MAST LS3 Mid Bores are great also, but by the time you have them
Set up more then AFR W/Light Intakes, on par cost wise with MMS LS3.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:43 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Makes me wonder if the Ferrea F2042P would be a fit for the exhaust valve... but on a PD blower do I *WANT* a hollow exhaust valve? And yes the intake valve needs to be light as well. I don't want to bother Tony bc I know he has his own heads now. I just don't want to run TFS, porter's casting or otherwise.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

The exhaust valves that come with the Heads from AFR/Summit are
Solid @ 99 gm, the hollow Rev-Light Intake that Tony uses/sells are
99 gm VS 125 gm, a good match I would think, feel free to EMail
Tony, not only are you a former AFR user but he has a CTSV and
can offer cam suggestions as well.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

LOL
I think you ment HUNKY dory.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,257 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
LOL
With Hammer, one can never be quite sure.... lol
Old 07-30-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Tony's cts V is badass
Old 07-30-2017, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Tony's cts V is badass
Yes....... Yes it is!
Old 07-30-2017, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
LOL
I'm a honkey man
Old 07-31-2017, 02:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 448 Likes on 167 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Makes me wonder if the Ferrea F2042P would be a fit for the exhaust valve... but on a PD blower do I *WANT* a hollow exhaust valve? And yes the intake valve needs to be light as well. I don't want to bother Tony bc I know he has his own heads now. I just don't want to run TFS, porter's casting or otherwise.
Just have me "Mamofy" and tweak an AFR LS3 casting for you. Will fit them with the hollow stem slightly oversize valves I use in the TFS castings I modify (2.170 diameter).....they weigh about 97 grams vs AFR's 120 ish gram valve. They way the same as the solid exhaust which is what I would recommend for durability (and lightening an exhaust more than the intake does nothing for you....we still need to set up the valvetrain to control a mass that weight 97 grams (the intake in hollow stainless dictates that). Unless you want to run coated Ti intakes but that really hits the budget hard (over a thousand more).....completely unnecessary however.....save that money for a different mod that can actually make a difference!

Anyway....I will get you close to a legit 400 CFM in that head and the port volume will still be modest....it will work fantastic in any application

Regards,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 07-31-2017, 03:55 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Just have me "Mamofy" and tweak an AFR LS3 casting for you. Will fit them with the hollow stem slightly oversize valves I use in the TFS castings I modify (2.170 diameter).....they weigh about 97 grams vs AFR's 120 ish gram valve. They way the same as the solid exhaust which is what I would recommend for durability (and lightening an exhaust more than the intake does nothing for you....we still need to set up the valvetrain to control a mass that weight 97 grams (the intake in hollow stainless dictates that). Unless you want to run coated Ti intakes but that really hits the budget hard (over a thousand more).....completely unnecessary however.....save that money for a different mod that can actually make a difference!

Anyway....I will get you close to a legit 400 CFM in that head and the port volume will still be modest....it will work fantastic in any application

Regards,
Tony
Well I certainly appreciate you chiming in here. It's very tempting, believe me. Hell, can anyone even say they're running a Mamofied AFR LS3 casting?

What about rockers? I'd prefer to stick with Smith Bros bushed stockers, but I don't even know if the AFR LS3's take LS3 rockers. I kinda figured LS7 for some reason.

Thanks again, Tony
Old 07-31-2017, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

If it's for a boosted application, which casting has the thickest deck?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If it's for a boosted application, which casting has the thickest deck?
Most are offering .750"thickness. AFR 260 head is available with 6 bolt pattern as is the TFS.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 64post
Most are offering .750"thickness. AFR 260 head is available with 6 bolt pattern as is the TFS.
Mast are 6 bolt *** swell
Old 07-31-2017, 05:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 448 Likes on 167 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well I certainly appreciate you chiming in here. It's very tempting, believe me. Hell, can anyone even say they're running a Mamofied AFR LS3 casting?

What about rockers? I'd prefer to stick with Smith Bros bushed stockers, but I don't even know if the AFR LS3's take LS3 rockers. I kinda figured LS7 for some reason.

Thanks again, Tony
You would want to run roller rockers....spending this kind of money on heads and going with stock rockers is ludicrous IMO. They are the wrong tool for the job. They work of course but you shorten the service life of the heads dramatically. I worked with Yella Terra on designing a rocker for my TFS casting LS3 product.....the same part number will fit the AFR heads. They are half the cost of Jesels so price shouldn't really be an issue. I posted this on the Vette forum recently in regards to stock rockers on LS7 heads.....most of what I typed is applicable to this situation also

"Fixed heads" only reset the clock of the failure and problems associated with ported OEM castings and stock rockers....the problems and issues are going to resurface again.....you have to change some of the players (valvetrain components) if you expect to have different end results.

It's just one of the reasons I always advocate getting away from stock rockers. I don't know why so many people are intent on running them. They were designed to operate with half the spring pressure (seat and open pressure) most of us run, SOFT gentle OEM cam lobes/ramps, and .100 or more less lift. That's the application they were designed for....they are out of their element on most of the aftermarket builds and will take out the guides of your heads due to all the side loading imparted on the stem of the valve and the guide as the flat arced pad of the rocker scrubs and see-saws across the tip of your valve. You end up with an hour glassed shape valve guide and oil consumption issues once you have achieved that shape which is vastly accelerated with aftermarket cams and alot more spring pressure....not to mention a loss of performance from your valves not properly sealing when your guides are worn.

ALL the engines I build and spec are equipped with Yella Terra Ultralites built specifically for the castings Im using but you can buy them for stock heads also....much more affordable than the other big names in the rocker arm business and more importantly they are better designed for an HR system most of us are running (they are lightweight which is crucial to valve control).

I don't understand the love affair with OEM rockers when your upgrading all the other areas pertinent to building a real performance engine, not to mention some guys investing more money in them with trunion upgrades etc.....its silly because you still haven't addressed their major design flaw regarding not having the proper geometry for much more lift and not having a roller wheel which reduces contact patch by a large margin and reduces side loading dramatically as well. Also a roller will offer reduced friction and that will free up a small bit of power also....a nice perk from the upgrade to a roller.

I stock this stuff guys so if you would like to discuss in more detail feel free to contact me. Not a single engine I build (or help spec for a customer by providing them with all the parts) includes OEM rockers. You leave them to collect dust on the shelf with all the other OEM parts you removed when you decided to upgrade and mod your engine in search of more power. The engine is a tuned system.....when you upgrade the valvetrain in other areas (springs, camshaft lift and profile, etc.) you have to also upgrade the rockers as well to better compliment the other changes....this gives you a more reliable piece and a harder running one as well

We should get on the phone at some point to discuss the project in more detail. When you're ready to really dig into this PM or email me and let's do that. Plan ahead though.....with AFR's lead time and my lead time it's easily a 7-8 week wait to get them.

Regards,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Quick Reply: AFR LS3 Head Thoughts...