Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Swapping my current cam with milder one

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,039 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by the gaurd
In my little experience..
BOOM! Listen to these guys.... They all say it's a tune issue; go with that!
Old 09-02-2017, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Hc or co ?

Hi Guard, run your engine when up to temp standing behind your car.

USE you nose/eyes to MEASURE the exhaust gas particle content.

WHEN your eyes "burn" the HC are very high, the chance of a bad tune (not enough fuel).
WHEN your nose senses fuel the engine may be too Rich.
WHEN you have both the Spark Instant may be too great.

Please report ?

Lance
Old 09-02-2017, 12:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
BOOM! Listen to these guys.... They all say it's a tune issue; go with that!
The diff cam will be his peace of mind. In reality the 116lsa cam has quit a bit less overlap and will cut the smell. There are so many mechanics ive seen that are super sensitive to hydrocarbon smells so much that they may like how a cam sounds but they wont go near it because of the smell. Go with the cam and you will be happy in your instance. I cannot tell you how many cars come in running like dog crap and smell bad too and the customer doesnt complain about it or notice it. Only after i mention it do they even think about it.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
The diff cam will be his peace of mind. In reality the 116lsa cam has quit a bit less overlap and will cut the smell. There are so many mechanics ive seen that are super sensitive to hydrocarbon smells so much that they may like how a cam sounds but they wont go near it because of the smell. Go with the cam and you will be happy in your instance. I cannot tell you how many cars come in running like dog crap and smell bad too and the customer doesnt complain about it or notice it. Only after i mention it do they even think about it.
I agree 100% with your assessment, however, before going to all of the time, trouble and $$$ of a cam swap it may be possible to correct the bulk of his issues with a proper tune, if not, then I agree yank the cam!
Old 09-02-2017, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I think its more than that, but really for peace of mind. Youd be surprised how much more a person enjoys something when they dont have the little voice in their head talking about that one point. And how much they will spend to make it happen. In this case its just a new cam.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

The diff cam will be his peace of mind. In reality the 116lsa cam has quit a bit less overlap and will cut the smell......
My point is, that with 2.5* overlap, there should be no smell.....at least, not the way he describes.

Jus' sayin'..........

KW
Old 09-02-2017, 11:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Its not alot, but if he notices it, its enough. Thats my point. Everyone is different in many aspects of modding a car. like i said, back off the idle timing and ease the smell also, but every tuner is diff also.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changing to any of those cams is a complete waste of time. The differences wont be noticeable.

A stock cam with longtubes , no cats and dyno tune smells like exhaust.. that`s just the internal combustion engine
Old 09-17-2017, 11:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Changing overlap will change the smell as well as the unburnt hydrocarbons that stay in the cabin and get on your clothes. Adding cats would help quite a bit, but changing overlap will help also.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by John B
I agree 100% with your assessment, however, before going to all of the time, trouble and $$$ of a cam swap it may be possible to correct the bulk of his issues with a proper tune, if not, then I agree yank the cam!
You are probably correct and I'd absolutely go there first, but tech is onto something i've learned too

I think its more than that, but really for peace of mind. Youd be surprised how much more a person enjoys something when they dont have the little voice in their head talking about that one point. And how much they will spend to make it happen. In this case its just a new cam.
I can tell you've spent a lot of time with customers. Took me a while to see that sometimes the only way a customer will feel like an issue is resolved is if you replace what they think the problem is. The power of the mind...

Originally Posted by Dan99Hawk
Changing to any of those cams is a complete waste of time. The differences wont be noticeable.

A stock cam with longtubes , no cats and dyno tune smells like exhaust.. that`s just the internal combustion engine
Those cams look to have less overlap, less overlap will ABSOLUTELY be noticeable, ESPECIALLY in the area he is concerned with. He doesn't like the idle, the smell, and mentioned the word driveability. When speaking about cams, overlap is the area you go to to change driveability.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:52 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI

WHEN your eyes "burn" the HC are very high, the chance of a bad tune (not enough fuel).

Please report ?

Lance
Hi Lance, sound advice as usual.

With above Id be tuning before cam swapping. A lot of work and cost for a small variable.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI

Please report ?

Lance
I assume you meant high HC is from excess fuel not a lack of fuel. With a lack of fuel HC's are low and NOX is high. That's what I see when we stick a probe in the pipe and measure/manipulate emissions output.

But the high overlap could also cause excess HC/smell at idle

Quick Reply: Swapping my current cam with milder one