Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Thoughts on stock displacement 6.0L long block build

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Just for grins,, if you have a good local engine builder to work with, mine can get the parts cheaper than I could ever think of doing, he can order a bare block thats been pre-cleaned x-rayed/magna fluxed basically tidy and clean. For less than I can get the same block from a wrecker.. And he can order them with a spec like must be < first oversize or whatever on mains and bores.. I needed a basic jeep 4 banger block a couple years ago and he got it for like 175 with crank, everything cleaned and ready for him to machine, I was going to have to pay the local yard like 300 bucks for a short block with no idea of whether it was good or not.. .. YMMV...
Old 09-22-2017, 05:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Ls blocks arent like that afaik. Even gen3. As far as that goes we can get you all the rebuild parts, pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets etc cheaper than almost any machine shop will sell to you for...and no sales tax (outside iowa) and mixed to match. You can get cheap sbc short blocks etc but the ls are still pretty pricey for just a block anyway.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

We don't have sales tax in OR either..

And in this case I'm talking about a builder not a machine shop, the guy I deal with does it as a second gig(I find that most towns have one of these guys who caters to the local dirt track scene.. ) . The blocks are used, but pre-prepped, so it save hazmat/hottank/and a bunch of other fees you pay to have him do it in house.. (Welcome to Oregon green land of the fee)

Hot tanking a block here is north of 200, add magna flux and such and pretty soon your 2 or 3 hundred dollar yard motor grows to 800 and you don't even have it built yet.. Or even the internals .. I'm sure its crazy high dependent on where you come from though...

We also have pretty much no u-pullit yards here any more(May be 2 or 3 in the large area... too much regulation and rules..
Old 09-22-2017, 05:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

You can find good deals for "cores" all over the net and fb groups. Ive purchased quite a few "locked up" or no condition known 4.8/5.3 and 6.0s for a very good price. They are all bought with the intention of machine work and boring them out so reg cyl wall issues make no matter to me. The rods arr pretty easy to come by also. You dont have to look very hard to get a good deal on any of it then buy new/better parts where necessary.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on stock displacement 6.0L long block build