Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 lifter bore sleeve hone or sleeve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS3 lifter bore sleeve hone or sleeve?

Adding to my string of bad luck lately, the machine shop calls me this morning to say I have a damaged lifter bore. Cylinder #7 intake lifter. Apparently it had a lifter go bad and damage the lower side of the bore. I had no knowledge of this, bought it as a short block.

Anybody have knowledge of this? They don't have the cnc machine to do they work to make everything right again. Said I needed to find someone with a Rottler F65 or newer to do it right. They are just a small shop, do tons of work but don't have the crazy expensive machines like a cnc.

They did say it *might* be possible to clean it up and hone it some and run with it. Might loose oil pressure around the lower body of lifter but wouldn't know for sure till it's together. So I'm at a stand still for now until I can find out some info on it.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have them clean it up and run it. I had one do that but it actually broke a chunk of about a 1/4" off the bottom of the bore. Local machine shop cleaned it up really good and smoothed out the rough edges. And I never had a lick of trouble from it.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I say run it.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

You might be okay cleaning it up. Personally, I would bore it and have it bushed. Had two bores bushed on my block.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a quick little follow up on this. I picked my block up and checked a few others around my area. One that is known for alot of LS based work said he can fix it easy. Said he has did worse and even welded and machined some back before. He said with this one he would just clean it up and take a reamer and run threw it. A lifter will slide in and out of it easy right now but it has some high spot nicks inside. He doesn't think I'll run into any issues with it. So I guess I'm going to go with it.

I also messaged a few high end shops about it. One shop said they have did the same with some that were worse and never had any issues. So I guess it's worth a shot.

Quick Reply: LS3 lifter bore sleeve hone or sleeve?