Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Main tunnel issues on LS2

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 04:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main tunnel issues on LS2

I've just had a customers block line honed with ARP main stud kit on an LS2. It seems that every time I remove the cap the clearance changes and seem to get some out of round yet it measured reasonable when i picked up the block and measured before I removed the caps to fit bearings. I noticed that ARP has a torquing sequence when torquing up the studs. I'm not sure if the machine shop done it the way ARP recommended or whether they torqued the studs up just like the early SBC from cap to cap. Has anyone else had this issue? I also noticed that on one cap I forgot to tighten up the 6mm side bolt to 20LBS and when I did, I got another .0003" to .0004" extra. These blocks seem to move around a lot or have I some other issue?
Old 12-05-2017, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ARP suggests torquing and loosening and re-torquing three times in order to create re-peatability
The local shop to me would always muriatic acid dip the threads to remove that black oxide coating crap
Use the ARP moly lube on the threads but EPL (extreme pressure lubricant) on the washer surfaces
This creates re-peatability without using up fastener stretches
Also; I always pull them up in three equal increases....EX; 50,60,70 etc.
Then lastly do the side bolts
Old 12-05-2017, 01:15 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke212
I've just had a customers block line honed with ARP main stud kit on an LS2. It seems that every time I remove the cap the clearance changes and seem to get some out of round yet it measured reasonable when i picked up the block and measured before I removed the caps to fit bearings. I noticed that ARP has a torquing sequence when torquing up the studs. I'm not sure if the machine shop done it the way ARP recommended or whether they torqued the studs up just like the early SBC from cap to cap. Has anyone else had this issue? I also noticed that on one cap I forgot to tighten up the 6mm side bolt to 20LBS and when I did, I got another .0003" to .0004" extra. These blocks seem to move around a lot or have I some other issue?
That's normal for the side bolts to change the clearance. The iron blocks even do that. I've had pretty good repeatability with the housing bores and removing the caps though. I like to center the caps on the main saddle before I torque them.

Quick Reply: Main tunnel issues on LS2