Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Double your budget/word to the wise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double your budget/word to the wise

So I don’t know how I did this again, but here we are. Engine out, transmission at shop and I’ve almost doubled what I had planned on spending. As a professional technician I try my best not to do this to customers, but it still happens. I added up everything I was going to need to do this cam+afm/vvt delete and trans repair and came to a hair under $4,000. Now here I am- #1 and #5 have deep scratches in the cylinder walls, so at the very least it’s going to need to be honed. When I pull the crank I’m sure I’ll deem it necessary to have it machined (or replaced) and obviously going to replace the rings. The valves look alright, but while it’s out I might as well put valve stem seals in it. Yeah, I could’ve half assed it and stayed near budget- trans repair with converter was almost $2,500- and now here I am, passing the $6,000 mark and haven’t even factored in the little gaskets and o-rings here and there I’m going to need going back with it. Just remember my advice that I forgot to- add everything up you need to complete the job, then double it and you might have enough.😡
Old 04-21-2018, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 468 Likes on 352 Posts

The rule of thumb for eons (on car repairs) has been double what you think it will cost and triple the time estimate.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Teching In

The time estimate was right, it’s what I do for a living, and I’m generally dead on at work when it comes to parts estimates. But as much as a perfectionist as I am, when it comes to my stuff- if I see wear, I’m replacing it.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah same thing happened on my build...first it was just junkyard motor swap, then well might as well do heads, cam, intake, then it was well might as well do a forged bottom end.....now I'm in a sleeved, boredom & stroked ls3 with a pile of money in heads and way too much in the intake....all of this made me want to make sure the car was in good shape, so I got off into a frame off restoration.....it snowballs quickly if you are a perfectionist...
Old 04-27-2018, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Scope Creep strikes again...
Old 05-04-2018, 12:29 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If it aint broke? Dont fix it

Thats what I try and follow but sometimes this too bites me in the *** because things do break, and often can be saved before hand which is cheaper, and typically easier but theres ALWAYS extras you dont count on needing attention once you start digging in. This is why I never tear apart a good runner in pursuit of more power. I build a second or third and swap in/out to minimize downtime. Plus a good bin of spare parts has been a long standing way of saving a lot of time, money and hassle so long as you have the space and keep the parts clean. This is even more reason to master an engine platform and stay with it as long as possible. I did the sbc/bbc thing and since early 2000's its been LS all the way and looking to me as if it will stay that way for some time. These engines have just enough high tech, and simple enough old school tech to keep them cost effective and performing well even against modern machinery.

Yee haw