Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ERL 430 w/ LS7 top end questions. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeGTO
Maybe I was informed wrong long ago, but I've always been under the impression that you need to retard the timing above peak torque because the "window/time" to burn fuel is less/shorter as RPM goes up. The timing demands of an IC engine should follow the torque curve pretty closely.

I've also seen a drop of 50 HP when going from 24 to 26 degrees on a healthy LS7 N/A combo on an engine dyno.

The combustion chamber design is going to dictate a lot of the burn rate and subsequent timing requirements. The small efficient chambers in most LS heads will require less timing. Also, as compression increases, timing requirements typically go down. The fuel type and octane will have an effect on the timing requirements as well.
Torque peak is peak VE. Anything before or after torque peak generally will want more timing for best power. The actual spark value that provides best power will be dictated by many factors like you mentioned. With a large cam at low RPM there will be natural EGR which reduces combustion efficiency as well.

If you lost 50hp by going from 24 to 26 degrees there was certainly abnormal combustion going on.

My experience with LS engines is that when you get in the right ballpark they're incredibly insensitive to both fuel and spark.

Last edited by spanks13; 05-08-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my car 12.5 compression will have a better fuel and for sure 3 inch all the way & solid roller.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
In my car 12.5 compression will have a better fuel and for sure 3 inch all the way & solid roller.
that's cool.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Max BMEP = Spark Instant

Hi Spanks, I have worked with Large Cam engines.

The Spark Instant can be MUCH GREATER when the engine is OFF SONG, then at peak BMEP the Spark advance is LOWERED, then increased/decreased as RPM increases.
The art of best engine timing is FOUND AT Peak Torque then as RPM is increased that Torque value is maintained as best as possible.

MY OBSERVATION is when the advance is too great the RPM/Torque will DROP over time.
My OBSERVATION is when the advance is too low the RPM/Torque will INCREASE over time.
MY OBSERVATION is when the advance is correct the RPM/Torque will be STABLE over time.

Lance