Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

High compression LS3 Pistons with stock rods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 12:08 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Default High compression LS3 Pistons with stock rods?

Does anyone make a shelf piston that's high comp 12.5-13.5:1? With a stock Chambered ls3 head? This would've need a +5 - +7 cc dome I think ? Nonnedd for forged rods as this is going to be straight N/A motor .

Old 05-22-2018, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off the shelf, probably not. That is a very rare configuration. I ordered a set of forged JE piston like that. With that much compression you will need to run high octane (non leaded) race fuel, or retard a lot timing to eliminate spark knock.
Buying race fuel is expensive and a pain to find. The next motor I built had forged flat tops. What a relief to pull into the gas station and say "Fill er Up".

My experience was that boosting compression was not a good way to gain power. Too difficult to find fuel. Add a little bit of camshaft, and a LS3 will be a screamer.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:35 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Originally Posted by Racecar2
Off the shelf, probably not. That is a very rare configuration. I ordered a set of forged JE piston like that. With that much compression you will need to run high octane (non leaded) race fuel, or retard a lot timing to eliminate spark knock.
Buying race fuel is expensive and a pain to find. The next motor I built had forged flat tops. What a relief to pull into the gas station and say "Fill er Up".

My experience was that boosting compression was not a good way to gain power. Too difficult to find fuel. Add a little bit of camshaft, and a LS3 will be a screamer.
car will be on e85 and be solid roller. I'll just go ahead and purchase some rods 🤙🏼
Old 05-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JE makes them. I'm in the exact same boat. Looking for 11.0-11.2 :1 compression out of a LS3 motor with stock rods. They're +10cc and you could run a thicker gasket to drop compression to the desired level

Only other option I'm seeing is mill the heads and cut valve reliefs in the pistons.

http://www.jepistons.com/Catalogs/Au...m_ls_dome.aspx
Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

Originally Posted by MIKE93SVT
JE makes them. I'm in the exact same boat. Looking for 11.0-11.2 :1 compression out of a LS3 motor with stock rods. They're +10cc and you could run a thicker gasket to drop compression to the desired level

Only other option I'm seeing is mill the heads and cut valve reliefs in the pistons.

http://www.jepistons.com/Catalogs/Au...m_ls_dome.aspx
**** thanks bud!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been thinking about this exact same setup but its hard to find pistons to work with the stock rods, I figured for as cheap as they were some $300 dollar-ish rods would work easier. Flex fuel setup?