Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ticking sound in new motor!! Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking sound in new motor!! Please advise

Can anyone help me out and let me know if a tune will fix my problem??? I have a brand new motor with less than 7 miles on it. It has a fairly loud ticking noise coming from the driverside wheel well. Sounds like it might be in the heads near cylinder 5 or 7. Everything is brand new on the engine including the exhaust from headers back to exhuast tip. I pulled the valve covers off and rechecked the rocker arms and had to re adjust 3 and 5 cylinder rocket arms a little and I changed all the sparkplugs and found number 7 cylinder fouled then I blew the number 7 fuel injector o ring twice on the crappy fast fuel rail. I replaced fuel rails and all injectors because I figured maybe I had a bad injector that was leaking down and causing the engine to make a fuel ping, however it is still making the sound. The 5.3 liter had the DOD deleted out of the computer and it had all that crap taken off the engine and the proper cam and lifters installed as part of the trickflow 205 genx top end kit with the harlan sharp roller rockers.. Could it not being tuned yet make a fairly loud tapping/ ticking sound? Please help !!! I am growing frustrated with this 5.3 liter. oh and the ticking sounds speeds up with rpms. Oil pressure is good at about 45 psi and engine temp is good at 195 and it is currently running very rich as I can smell gas in the exhuast.

Last edited by Seabee; 08-15-2018 at 11:00 PM. Reason: No responses
Old 08-16-2018, 06:30 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,729 Likes on 2,265 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

To clarify here, you are running Harland Sharp adjustable rockers?
Most of the time, in situations like this, I see this being an exhaust leak, especially with headers. Normal reaction is to tighten header more, which warps flange, and causes a leak that’s tough to fix. Exhaust leak and valve train ticking, or clicking sound a lot alike. I double up header gaskets to try and combat this (GM MLS exhaust gasket)
Can you get under the car, on a lift perhaps, and listen while car is running? Sometimes it helps find an exhaust leak. I would eliminate one or the other, before I went into the engine.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Seabee, stop cross posting in 5 different sections in the forum. -____-
Old 08-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Ok I will check the torq on the header flange to ensure the bolts haven't backed off. Thank you for the advice.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,257 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Seabee
Ok I will check the torq on the header flange to ensure the bolts haven't backed off. Thank you for the advice.
You sure it's not the tune?? lol
Old 08-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Teching In

G Atsma, I am not sure that's why i am asking the question. I do believe you guys are right about the exhaust leak, but i was wondering about the ECM controlling things since i had a guy delete the DOD out of it but since then it seems to be running way rich and i can smell it in the exhaust and it has blown the number 7 Injector o ring twice at the top of the fuel rail and had a fouled plug in cylinder 7. I just resorted back to the OEM fuel rail and all new injectors on that bank because i think a old injector was leaking down, when i checked the oil i could smell a hint of fuel in it. So i have changed the oil as well.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you measure for proper length pushrods ?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:39 PM
Teching In

No, I was told by trick flow there was no need to measure the pushrod because the heads, cam, pushrod and rocker arms are part of the complete set up they offer as set in the GEN X 205 top end kit. I checked the exhaust and no leaks there, checked the rocker arms and pulled the pushrod all seams normal. It is only making the ticking sound by cylinder 7 for some reason. The only thing I think it could be at this point is a lifter.

Last edited by Seabee; 08-19-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Mis spelling
Old 08-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Seabee
No, I was told by trick flow there was no need to measure the pushrod because the heads, cam, pushrod and rocker arms are part of the complete set up they offer as set in the GEN X 205 top end kit. I checked the exhaust and no leaks there, checked the rocker arms and pulled the pushrod all seams normal. It is only making the ticking sound by cylinder 7 for some reason. The only thing I think it could be at this point is a lifter.
What lifters and how much preload on them?

I don't know if I would trust predetermined pushrod lengths like that. Too many factors that can change it, and I've seen those kinds of kits that were way off in a sbc application. I know there is a lot more variation in those vs the la platform, but valvetrain geometry is too important to not measure. What's the sweep pattern look like on tip of the valve? How wide?
Old 08-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Teching In

All thanks for the help. It ended up being 2 bad injectors even though they were new. Put in the new injectors and all is quiet and running good.