Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Having low oil pressure after AFM delete in a 5.3 LH6.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38 psi oil pressure at start up, 6 psi after 4 minutes of driving

50 miles after afm delete.The manual gauge moves with rpms but has low pressure at idle with a slight lifter tick around #7. After sitting the oil pressure goes back to normal at cold with no tick. I have already deleted the afm relief valve in the oil pan, and I have the o ring valley cover. Did the rivets solve the problem?
Old 03-16-2021, 11:01 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Bumping this up. I avoid AFM motors like the plague but we just did an LH6 that had the low oil pressure issue after AFM delete and it was solved by replacing the AFM valley cover. You could see clear evidence of oil washing out of the AFM solenoids and around the orings on the columns.

A service note to all to ditch AFM asap. Its garbage imo
Old 03-16-2021, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Bumping this up. I avoid AFM motors like the plague but we just did an LH6 that had the low oil pressure issue after AFM delete and it was solved by replacing the AFM valley cover. You could see clear evidence of oil washing out of the AFM solenoids and around the orings on the columns.

Not trying to disagree or anything - but I gave 310000 miles on my 2007 and the AFM and lifters are working fine - never touched.
I did delete the oil bypass valve in the oil pan, and I have 60psi at start up and it settles at around 40psi when warm...
Old 03-16-2021, 12:37 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Of course some have good luck, while others do not. Nothing seems problematic until it affects you personally. Its really about odds and doing what we can to improve odds. Ditching AFM and especially the AFM solenoids valley cover increases your odds of a longer lasting better performing motor.

The following 2 users liked this post by cam:
G Atsma (03-16-2021), Jimbo1367 (12-30-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 358 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by tjoyce81
Not trying to disagree or anything - but I gave 310000 miles on my 2007 and the AFM and lifters are working fine - never touched.
I did delete the oil bypass valve in the oil pan, and I have 60psi at start up and it settles at around 40psi when warm...
So you deleted the bypass valve in the oil pan, but still have active AFM? Does it also have VVT?
Old 03-18-2021, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I deleted the pressure relief pan valve - and still have an active AFM system.
My issue was 0psi oil pressure after warm up. After changing the oil pressure sending unit + screen, oil pump + o-ring to the pump pick up: with no success,
I studied the oil system closer - and dropped the oil pan for a second time. Installed a plug in place of the oil relief valve inside of the pan, and now my pressure is probably high - but it has been around 40000 miles and it runs pretty good.
No, my engine does not have VVT.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:48 PM

Default Lingenfelter rivets

Having same oil pressure issues with my 07 suburban 5.3l did full top end rebuild myself even had the heads reworked. Can I buy the lingenfelter rivets from summit or somewhere like that?
Old 03-27-2021, 08:28 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

You dont need the rivets if you change the valley cover to an LS3/L92 style without AFM. We installed the one with the black o-rings ( seem thicker than the orange ) and oil pressure came back up immediately. I took a look for the Delco part number its around here somewhere I cant find it right now but the cover with gaskets was around 50 bucks. One day ship from everyones favorite prime resource

For what its worth if you want to add the AFM delete PCV style cover which is spendy I have that part number handy its

Old 09-03-2021, 11:20 AM

Default Curious if you found the issue

Hey i am currentlyin the same boat you was in and what resolvedy our problem thanks in advance Roy
Originally Posted by Dingö
Hi guys, this'll be my first post and sadly still having some problems. I have a 2007 GMC Envoy Denali, and the Denalis have a LH6 LS. Thought that would be like a badass little tahoe, and I'm not really wrong. I really like it actually.

But anyways, I had lifter tick right after getting the suv. Decided to do an AFM delete and have a tech I know who works at a Chevy dealership do the work for me. I got all the parts for that delete, and gave him the keys.

Once he started tearing into it, he noticed shiny material. He told me about it, and showed me the oil pan and there was cam bearing material everywhere. Like chunks. We pulled the engine. And he said when taking it apart, the connecting rod caps were off on the torque. Some came loose super easy apparently, while others were very tight. The crank is newer aswell, which really had my tech confused.

So basically on top of the AFM delete (aswell as pretty much all the gaskets) , I bought new cam bearings, connecting rod bearings and bolts, melling oil pump, new water pump, new belts, piston rings, and also had him hone the block. He also cleaned the crap out of everything trying to get all the bearing material out. He said it was cranking smooth and looked good before he put it in.

Everything is now back together, and honestly runs great. Had another tech delete the AFM codes in the ecm and he also did some things for throttle response and fuel delivery. It runs really well. But as soon as the engine gets warmed up, the pressure drops off. It gets about 35 to 40 on cold start, and it has gotten as low as 5 (according to scanner) after driving for a while and checking it. As soon as I step on the gas, it'll go back up but only to like 20-30. I have the CEL for low oil pressure. Even changed the sensor, didn't do anything.

From what I've researched, I think the most likely cause is either the oil pan o-ring, or some stuck debris in the inlet, screen or something. But would like to hear others opinions aswell. Because I'm really trying to get this done with and have good pressure.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam

Question on this, I uncollapsed the #7 lifter and had the AFM deleted via tune. After a week of driving my oil pressure goes from 40 at start up to zero after warm up (verified via mechanical gauge). When I replaced the pan gasket, it was just the outer and not inner tower gasket. Would this cause my pressure to crap out? Can I just use a L92 cover and get rid of the LH6 pan cover?
Old 12-25-2021, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 2,428 Posts

The towers NEED to be blocked or you lose all oil pressure.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Will switching to the L92 valley pan take care of that? I am just running the AFM delete tune. I still have all the DOD pieces installed. Lifter 7 came back to life so I haven’t done the complete swap yet.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

If it's the later L92 valley cover, then yes. Early (pre-April 1, 2006) L92's came with DOD stuff but didn't use it.
You might also consider tapping the towers for allen screws to assure a good seal, besides using the L92 cover.
The following users liked this post:
FamilymanGXP (12-25-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 11:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by FamilymanGXP
Will switching to the L92 valley pan take care of that? I am just running the AFM delete tune. I still have all the DOD pieces installed. Lifter 7 came back to life so I haven’t done the complete swap yet.
You cannot use the dod lifters with a non dod valley cover. If you are keeping them in you have to use a dod valley. That is the only way. Otherwise you will have issues.

It is best to not even monkey around and waste time and money jockeying valley covers and delete the whole system. Otherwise youre spending money on something that is going to fail again

tblentrprz (01-03-2022)
Old 12-30-2021, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

G Aramaic & wws store (?)
I have a LY6 that I swapped to a Camaro4 pan but still have the VVT oil pump. I got a SUMMIT RACING ghost cam to switch to in the spring.

Is there really a problem running the VVT oil pump? I’ve read some people don’t have any problems and seem a video the SDPC put our saying it’s ok to use on a motor with the VVT removed

What I don’t want is another headache. Lol. Why did I ever get back into cars lol

thanks,
jim
Old 12-30-2021, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jim- The VVT oil pump is a high volume pump, and I doubt it will do any harm in itself.
I THINK there is a valve near the filter base that should be disabled, but better minds would know more about that.
G Atsma
Old 12-31-2021, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

G ATsma,
are you referring to the one that’s right next to the filter? Directly under the edge? I have a 98-02 Camaro pan(GMPP) if that makes a difference. I might have to go bother Darth since I have a few other questions for hom
Old 12-31-2021, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think that's it. I would hit up Master Darth for this and other required wisdom....
Old 01-03-2022, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Using a VVT/high volume pump when the engine doesn't need the oil volume to achieve oil pressure relief setting will just bypass and dump back to pan. Hope this makes sense.
G Atsma (01-03-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 01:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts

The only high volume pump is in the engines with BOTH vvt and afm and the hybrids. Otherwise it is std volume if vvt or afm.

Let me say that in simpler terms

Vvt and afm = high volume
Vvt only = std gm pump
Afm only = std gm pump

The reason, as you can assume is due to the extra oil control and volume needed to handle both systems that rely on oil pressure for everything and in turn bleed off a significant amount of volume when activated.

Hope that clears things up.
G Atsma (01-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Having low oil pressure after AFM delete in a 5.3 LH6.