Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What am I missing? Less than 300 rwhp atk_403

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:07 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Yeah, a few teeth would most likely cause damage. Got to be exaggerating here. ATK degrees the cam...something fishy about this.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Hope you got it figured out, should be an animal once you get it right!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Whoa Whoa Whoa!

I have been following this thread as have our Techs. Yes, we at ATK did do the short block build, installed and degreed the camshaft. We also installed the timing chain/gears. Once you got the engine it appeared there was miscommunication and the engine got the wrong timing set, we installed a 4x and you needed a 1x. After discussions with our tech we overnight'ed you a new timing set in which YOU or YOUR SHOP installed WRONG, NOT ATK. We are glad to see you're up and running and are enjoying your new build, but we need to be clear that ATK did not install it wrong and it was either yourself or your shop doing the work.

ATK.

Last edited by ATK Engines; 09-19-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:11 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Lmao. The plot thickens
Old 09-19-2018, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Lmao. The plot thickens
Yup. It's gettin' GOOOOD!
Also, ATK said the wrong timing set was put on. Which reluctor was put on the crank? If ATK put a 58 tooth on it, then yeah, a 4X timing set should have gone on. BUT if a 24 tooth went on then a 1X would be in order. So WHO screwed the pooch there?
Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Yup. It's gettin' GOOOOD!
Also, ATK said the wrong timing set was put on. Which reluctor was put on the crank? If ATK put a 58 tooth on it, then yeah, a 4X timing set should have gone on. BUT if a 24 tooth went on then a 1X would be in order. So WHO screwed the pooch there?
It was just an honest communication error, not sure by who. Honestly, I couldn't tell you, but when doing these swaps and talking to customers the conversation gets REALLY confusing allot of the time because its still new to so many people and there is allot to learn. Reading the notes from my sales guy it was an LS2 engine replacing an LS1 so im sure thats where the confusion came in.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Communication gap. Happens to everyone eventually. I hope it all got worked out between everyone!
Old 09-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by ATK Engines
It was just an honest communication error, not sure by who. Honestly, I couldn't tell you, but when doing these swaps and talking to customers the conversation gets REALLY confusing allot of the time because its still new to so many people and there is allot to learn. Reading the notes from my sales guy it was an LS2 engine replacing an LS1 so im sure thats where the confusion came in.
That's seriously very classy of you as opposed to fanning the flames.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
That's seriously very classy of you as opposed to fanning the flames.

Yep, class act right there...
Old 09-19-2018, 08:50 PM
ModSquad

Classy indeed. I knew something fishy was going on here.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by spikestang
cam timing was off a few teeth. Taking it down for a new dyno in 2 weeks
Hope it does better on the dyno next round, I've seen it happen more times than I thought possible. It doesn't happen often but when it does it can be a pain to diagnose. It's pretty much impossible to have it off a tooth or more and not catch it when you degree the cam.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:41 AM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Hope it does better on the dyno next round, I've seen it happen more times than I thought possible. It doesn't happen often but when it does it can be a pain to diagnose. It's pretty much impossible to have it off a tooth or more and not catch it when you degree the cam.
Agreed. Throw a degree wheel on there and you see exactly where you are.
Im still in disbelief that the OP hit a dyno with this car running so poorly. I would have noticed the second I pulled out of my drive that something was wrong. It’s gonna feel like he’s got 2 engines under the hood this go around.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, NO WAY that engine would sound ANYWHERE close to right with the cam timing that far off. Had to have sounded like crap...
Old 09-20-2018, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Yeah, NO WAY that engine would sound ANYWHERE close to right with the cam timing that far off. Had to have sounded like crap...
But it's just the tune and the 3/4 race cam making it sound like that. Ha Ha.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, RIGHT! The 3/4 race cam…. yeah, THAT's the ticket!
Old 09-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

warranty guy told me it was all my fault, and he had never heard of putting a 1x cam gear on a ls2, I then asked to speak with the manager, was then told i really didn't want that. I insisted on it, was sent to voicemail, left my name and number 6 weeks ago, and have yet to receive a call back. I am at my phone now if he has time. I had alot of hours figuring out it was the wrong cam gear, changing sensors, checking the wiring, looking on here is how I found out it was wrong. Atk kept telling me it was maybe this or that, now I switched the cam gear month's after I get the engine, it ran no different than befor, only change is now I have a working tach. Still way down on power, call atk back up, was told to check sensors, so we hooked it up to hp tuners and all the sensors looked good. I then called a bunch of shops, a guy at Texas speed thought it was maybe cam timing, as well as a member on here. So over the weekend I found that the timing was indeed off. If you want to pin it on me, that's fine. The purpose of my follow up post was to inform everyone what the problem was, not to degrade atk or assign blame. This has been a huge pain in the a**. I just hope my problems can help out some other members, who may have similar car issues.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Whoa Whoa Whoa!

I have been following this thread as have our Techs. Yes, we at ATK did do the short block build, installed and degreed the camshaft. We also installed the timing chain/gears. Once you got the engine it appeared there was miscommunication and the engine got the wrong timing set, we installed a 4x and you needed a 1x. After discussions with our tech we overnight'ed you a new timing set in which YOU or YOUR SHOP installed WRONG, NOT ATK. We are glad to see you're up and running and are enjoying your new build, but we need to be clear that ATK did not install it wrong and it was either yourself or your shop doing the work.

ATK.
I am still waiting for a call from your manager. I wouldn't post it on here, but he will not return my call. Thanks
Old 09-24-2018, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Bump I need to hear the rest of this story before I make a decision on ordering a shortblock the price diff. Is about 460$ if Atk will settle this I'm looking at ordering from them
Old 09-24-2018, 05:39 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost
Bump I need to hear the rest of this story before I make a decision on ordering a shortblock the price diff. Is about 460$ if Atk will settle this I'm looking at ordering from them
What is there to settle? ATK sent him the correct timing set, after he initially ordered the wrong one on the shortblock, and he installed it wrong. He tore it back down, found and fixed the issue, and car runs correctly. As for the he said/she said phone stuff, who knows?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:06 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost

Atk is a pro shop. He or his shop installed the new cam gear wrong . Atk commented on here. Etc. The OP is at fault or his shop. Not the shop that Built the motor