Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LQ4 with 5463 Heads/LS3 Intake......

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default LQ4 with 5463 Heads/LS3 Intake......

Not sure if I should be asking these questions, and starting the Big Debate, Rectangle vs Cathedral Head. So, figured with the other thread being active I would this question out again, like the other 100 plus threads, but different. This will be a future Budget build, just a DD, weekend thrill seeker. Ported Heads, Aftermarket Heads are Not an Option!!! I'm the type of person who likes using/improving what the factory gave us, for the most part.
Will LS7 lifters and Pac 1218 springs survive, and what cam specs should used? Should flat top pistons be used, or will make that much of a difference?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

If the 5463 head is a rectangular port head, the LS3 manifold will fit. Why ask if 1218 springs and LS7 lifters will survive if you haven't told us which cam would be working with them? You are putting the cart before the horse.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm unsure about the cam, I really dont want the quick opening/closing profile donkey dick cam, duration I'm thinking a 224/232 roughly, nothing over .600". I still need to concerned with fuel mileage, but I want something that takes advantage of the increased flow of the rectangle port heads. I basically want my cake and eat it too. As for now the trans will be manual, but an auto will be put in at some point, weight of vehicle will be about 3200/3400lbs.

thanks.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you are worried about a ragged-opening and closing cam, check with Cam Motion and Texas Speed and Performance. Their cams are designed right. TSP has ground their own for a while now, having switched from having Comp grinding theirs. Supposedly their quality has jumped up since doing this. Both companies will grind you a good cam. For what it looks like you want, LS7 lifters and 1218 springs should do the job nicely.
In fact for a nice-running cam that sounds good and still delivers decent low end performance, check into the WS6store High-Lift Hot Cam. They took the GM Hot Cam design which has a lift of only .525, and came up with a smoother-operating cam with more performance and a lift of a hair under .600. Your LQ4 will love it.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:49 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
If you are worried about a ragged-opening and closing cam, check with Cam Motion and Texas Speed and Performance. Their cams are designed right. TSP has ground their own for a while now, having switched from having Comp grinding theirs. Supposedly their quality has jumped up since doing this. Both companies will grind you a good cam. For what it looks like you want, LS7 lifters and 1218 springs should do the job nicely.
In fact for a nice-running cam that sounds good and still delivers decent low end performance, check into the WS6store High-Lift Hot Cam. They took the GM Hot Cam design which has a lift of only .525, and came up with a smoother-operating cam with more performance and a lift of a hair under .600. Your LQ4 will love it.
Cam Motion and TSP will both grind you a “ragged-opening and closing cam” if you want. It all depends on the lobe profile. Duration and lift numbers are only part of the equation. My custom Comp Cam, spec’ed by Tony Mamo is a 254/268 duration, 72x lift solid roller, but if you don’t know Tony’s lobe profiles, which he helped Comp create, there’s no way to duplicate what I have. Tony doesn’t mind me sharing numbers, but the lobe family is the secret.
Also the ASA high lift cam i just installed in a 6liter build was .600” lift on both sides.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had heard that TSP's and Cam Motion's cams are smoother than comparable-spec cams from Comp. Just a more modern lobe design, I would guess.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I had heard that TSP's and Cam Motion's cams are smoother than comparable-spec cams from Comp. Just a more modern lobe design, I would guess.
That's the Internet spreading bad info right there.....no offense to you....just calling it like I see it as I have seen numerous threads stating similar.

Comp has literally hundreds of lobes to choose from (maybe in the four digits in fact). The level of aggressiveness purely up to the lobes the guy designing the cam chooses to select (and I work directly with their head designer at times creating lobes.....sometimes just slowing down an existing family of lobes and reducing lift or just the opposite....sky is the limit).

Not to mention with the right springs and lightweight parts, aggressive lobes make more power and exhibit excellent control but its always about the set up and the application.

Check out the depth and variety of what Comp offers in the latest Comp Master lobe list (its only a Google away).....these are just the lobes that are listed....there are other lobes that they offer that aren't even in the catalog

Comp is a giant....50 ish years in business and they have a much larger R&D budget....also they have been doing spintron testing alot longer than most

Anyway....I have read similar comments about Comp and I usually just chuckle to myself and click to the next thread or tab on my computer to keep working.....decided to drop in and shed some new light on this subject this time

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 10-27-2018, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, there ya go... more internet wisdom flushed down the ol' commode...
Old 10-28-2018, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Tony,
Thanks for checking in and shedding some light on the topic.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are 5463 heads?
Old 10-29-2018, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, they are 5364 heads, I think they are early rectangle port heads.

Stampede.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

And, I bought those heads with intake rockers, and a LS3 bare intake cheaper then buying an LS6 intake, go figure.

Stampede.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
Not sure if I should be asking these questions, and starting the Big Debate, Rectangle vs Cathedral Head. So, figured with the other thread being active I would this question out again, like the other 100 plus threads, but different. This will be a future Budget build, just a DD, weekend thrill seeker. Ported Heads, Aftermarket Heads are Not an Option!!! I'm the type of person who likes using/improving what the factory gave us, for the most part.
Will LS7 lifters and Pac 1218 springs survive, and what cam specs should used? Should flat top pistons be used, or will make that much of a difference?

Thanks.
I'm unsure about the cam, I really dont want the quick opening/closing profile donkey dick cam, duration I'm thinking a 224/232 roughly, nothing over .600". I still need to concerned with fuel mileage, but I want something that takes advantage of the increased flow of the rectangle port heads. I basically want my cake and eat it too. As for now the trans will be manual, but an auto will be put in at some point, weight of vehicle will be about 3200/3400lbs.

thanks.
Sorry, they are 5364 heads, I think they are early rectangle port heads.

Stampede.
And, I bought those heads with intake rockers, and a LS3 bare intake cheaper then buying an LS6 intake, go figure.

Stampede.
Hello Stampede,

It would be my privilege to help you get the perfect camshaft for your project. I will make sure that you get the right cam specs, lobes and supporting parts to assure your build is a success. Just drop me an email: Steven at CamMotion.com with all the details of your build, desired driving characteristics and performance goals. I will put you together a recommendation and a quote.

~Steven

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com • ☎ 225-926-6110 • Like Us On Facebook!
Old 10-29-2018, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

I’ve had my Cam Motion grind over 8000 rpm many times and it’s smooth as silk
Old 11-12-2018, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the missing link here, the RPM?

Thanks