Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

So confused with this low oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Did you check the towers in the valley for plugs??
Old 11-23-2018, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Hard to say what's going on but if it has a crank that's been replaced then it's had bottom end trouble before and the issue is likely there, probably too high of main or rod bearing clearance. Finding another motor and building that one sounds like a good plan too, especially since it sounds like it needs a rebuild anyway.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a friend build an LS and it was great then it started loosing oil pressure. The way it went had me lost as we had never had anything like that happen. Turns out the cam retaining plate bolts backed off and we loctite them so never had the issue before.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have experience with buying a used motor? I feel like I have 2 options. Pay about 500-700 for a craigslist motor with no info. OR find a good ebay vendor that typically inspect the engine and have a 3 or 6 month warranty of most main components. Seems like these are between 1000-2000. I've never dropped a new motor in anything, and I know it comes down to a certain amount of luck. But has anyone had some good experiences? Or even a bad one? It seems like the route I need to go for now.

Also another thing, would you think a Express van motor would be a less maintained example compared to a Silverado dropout?
Old 11-27-2018, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I have installed many used motors over the years for various cars including my own vehicles. I'm a tech and sometimes we install used engines. We have ALWAYS had far better luck with used motors than rebuilds. A high end (very expensive) built motor is different. Customers always look around and find these $500-$1000 rebuilt motors and they are usually complete piles of ****. A quality rebuild is usually several thousand dollars.

Any way, on a used motor where it comes from can go any direction. Some fleet vehicles are perfectly maintained some other company vehicles are not, generally they are taken care of though if it's a company fleet vehicle. Someones personal work truck may be different. Customers are hit or miss. They either go above and beyond on maintenance or hardly do it at all.

The way I gauge oil changes is to take the oil cap off and look inside and see if it's silver or gold in there, or if it's black and crusty. On an LS you have to take the filler neck off to get in there but I would just yank the valve cover it's super easy.

Here's an example of what I look for when I buy a used car or used engine. This was my 2004 5.3 with 190k miles, this is with 8-10k mile oil changes. If it's black and crusty the oil wasn't changed much and I would run from it.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 11-27-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

If it looks like this run from it and find another

Old 11-27-2018, 04:46 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,397 Likes on 2,099 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
If it looks like this run from it and find another

ooof.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Che70velle

ooof.

Yeah buddy. I'm always surprised when I take a running engine apart that looks like this. That pic is an extreme example and probably had 30k between oil changes.

I remember back 15 years ago, even with regular changes some engines looked horrible inside, either caked with wax or just nasty black crap. But as shown by my pic, you can stretch out the changes now, just use quality oil. I used pennzoil platinum almost every oil change from 80k to 190k and I always went by the oil change reminder on that truck, and it would have me change it at around 10k sometimes.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Yikes pooter, that's some **** lol. But I'm actually thinking about buying a new truck. Well not new, but super clean. Not sure what I'm going to do with this one, I'll figure it out early next year.

As I mentioned tho, I work at a dealership so I get to see a lot of really destroyed trade-ins come in, and every once in a while, a really clean example. I think I found what I needed. I've drove it around, oil pressure seems to stay at 40 consistently as it warms completely. Trans feels great aswell, it's a 2007 Silverado Classic. So it's the 2006 bodystyle, and has 84k miles. No cel's, and it's passed inspections. It did seem to have a coolant leak tho. But I think I might be able to get them to fix that considering it's gone through the 172 point inspection.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:48 PM
Teching In

At this point I just want a reliable daily, and this is one of the cleanest 2000-2007 bodies I've seen. No rust, forreal. 1 owner local, all the service records were here where I live at my dealership.

My previous car, that I still have is a 99 accord and dude, that motor is badass. It isn't fast, like at all. BUT that motor still has 210 psi on all cylinders according to my gauge and I was not good to this thing when I was 17. I'm 22 now, and view car maintenance in a completely different light lets just say that lol. And it has a little over 190k. The trans however, yikes. Mine bit the dust at 150kish, and I have a used one in and it started slipping at 60 mph. 55 fine, 65 fine, but 60 slips. I do go out and start it pretty much once a day.

Last edited by Dingö; 11-28-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dingö
Yikes pooter, that's some **** lol. But I'm actually thinking about buying a new truck. Well not new, but super clean. Not sure what I'm going to do with this one, I'll figure it out early next year.

As I mentioned tho, I work at a dealership so I get to see a lot of really destroyed trade-ins come in, and every once in a while, a really clean example. I think I found what I needed. I've drove it around, oil pressure seems to stay at 40 consistently as it warms completely. Trans feels great aswell, it's a 2007 Silverado Classic. So it's the 2006 bodystyle, and has 84k miles. No cel's, and it's passed inspections. It did seem to have a coolant leak tho. But I think I might be able to get them to fix that considering it's gone through the 172 point inspection.

The 99-07 classic trucks may very well be the best over all vehicle ever made. They are excellent, I recently sold my 04 truck and it was really hard to let go of. At 190k miles the only thing it ever needed was a water pump and I had a funky issue with the rear end and I had to rebuild the diff, but that's not common. Those trucks just don't break, and if they do they are really easy to work on vs other vehicles. Mine still had the factory original front brake pads at 190k too.

They have things go wrong, every car does. But I see probably less problems with those trucks than just about any other vehicle I've ever touched in my 20 years as a tech. They are up there with honda's and toyotas, except I have seen a lot of automatic hondas with transmission issues.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
The 99-07 classic trucks may very well be the best over all vehicle ever made. They are excellent, I recently sold my 04 truck and it was really hard to let go of. At 190k miles the only thing it ever needed was a water pump and I had a funky issue with the rear end and I had to rebuild the diff, but that's not common. Those trucks just don't break, and if they do they are really easy to work on vs other vehicles. Mine still had the factory original front brake pads at 190k too.

They have things go wrong, every car does. But I see probably less problems with those trucks than just about any other vehicle I've ever touched in my 20 years as a tech. They are up there with honda's and toyotas, except I have seen a lot of automatic hondas with transmission issues.
I agree, they are a great truck. I do see a lot of 200k+ examples being a detailer that are tade-ins. They go to auction, but it's crazy some of them are even running the shape they are in. I ended up getting the 2007 for about 10k. Which I feel isn't that bad for the shape it's in. Also got a 6 month warranty. I see it as somethings that going to last me, aswell as build my credit from 0 since I've never built any yet.

And yeah, I don't really trust Honda's autos. I have heard however that the manual are buttery smooth shifting and last forever, but sadly mine has the auto. Still a good backup car if I ever need it, even with the transmission slipping.