Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New here and need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and need help!

Hey all, new here and new with modifying LS style engines as well, but could really use some help. I have a 2012 Silverado with a 5.3 in it that ate a lifter and destroyed the cam. Long story short, yanked the motor and am in the process of doing a DOD/AFM delete. I had the block and heads cleaned and cam bearings replaced and the block had to be bored .020 over. I ordered a delete/overhaul kit from ams racing, but I have one concern with it. The kit says for motors up to 2011, but the guy there assured me it will work in mine, only difference is the kit has flat top pistons with no valve reliefs and the originals had valve reliefs. I am going to be using their stock non dod cam and keeping VVT, but will I have any problems running pistons with no valve reliefs? Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 01-02-2019, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm not sure what the answer is but I would definitely do a mild performance cam if you're already paying for one, something like a stage 1 drop in truck cam at least so that you keep low end but gain pretty much everywhere.

Texas speed does a lot of vvt cams and may be able to answer your question over the phone and spec/recommend a great cam for it.

From what I understand though, the valve reliefs are for the vvt though, so I would say it is important to have them. But I certainly don't know everything so don't go solely off what I say.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:58 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by njfreediver
Hey all, new here and new with modifying LS style engines as well, but could really use some help. I have a 2012 Silverado with a 5.3 in it that ate a lifter and destroyed the cam. Long story short, yanked the motor and am in the process of doing a DOD/AFM delete. I had the block and heads cleaned and cam bearings replaced and the block had to be bored .020 over. I ordered a delete/overhaul kit from ams racing, but I have one concern with it. The kit says for motors up to 2011, but the guy there assured me it will work in mine, only difference is the kit has flat top pistons with no valve reliefs and the originals had valve reliefs. I am going to be using their stock non dod cam and keeping VVT, but will I have any problems running pistons with no valve reliefs? Any help is greatly appreciated
The valve reliefs are specifically for the VVT when the phaser retards the cam timing. Without limiters, you might run into PTV clearance problems.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replies guys. what do you mean by limiters?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:54 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

They’re just little blocks that go in the phaser to limit how much the cam is advanced/retarded. Most aftermarket cams with larger durations than stock require them to be installed.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

If you retain VVT and go with an aftermarket cam you will have to install a limiter into the phaser.

My speakers at home are broken so I couldn't hear what they said in this video but it should be what you need to know.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
If you retain VVT and go with an aftermarket cam you will have to install a limiter into the phaser.

My speakers at home are broken so I couldn't hear what they said in this video but it should be what you need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B3n97HyN8k
Not every aftermarket VVT cam will require the limiters. My LS2 with LS3 top end has a Mast VVT camshaft that did not require the limiters, and a Mast was the industry leader in VVT technology. I do have Mahle pistons with reliefs in the engine, but Mast insisted that the limiters were not necessary regardless. I spin the engine to 6800. I would ask my sales person when purchasing the VVT camshaft, if your going that route, concerning the limiters.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Increased cam duration and flat top pistons without valve reliefs would definitely result in PTV clearance issues. My question is it even worth the effort in this case where by putting limiters you limit the advantage provided by the VVT and from what I remember the aftermarket VVT cams cost more than normal cams . I would just delete the VVT and pick a nice torquey truck cam and be done with it . Since you are putting in new pistons you could also bore the 5.3 out to 5.7 and get some low end grunt and more compression at the same time .
Old 01-04-2019, 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Che70velle

Not every aftermarket VVT cam will require the limiters. My LS2 with LS3 top end has a Mast VVT camshaft that did not require the limiters, and a Mast was the industry leader in VVT technology. I do have Mahle pistons with reliefs in the engine, but Mast insisted that the limiters were not necessary regardless. I spin the engine to 6800. I would ask my sales person when purchasing the VVT camshaft, if your going that route, concerning the limiters.

Good to know they don't all need them. Every cam I've looked at and read on so far did, so I assumed they just went together.

I personally would rather have a cam with a broader range, so that's cool that it can be had. (a cam that doesn't require a limiter)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

An oil issue can cause the phaser to act poorly so the limiter is also there to keep the phaser in check as a safeguard. Some 07-08 phasers are different also.

You will need the pistons with the valve reliefs.