Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2011 Silverado 419 stroker! Ran 7.5@93mph (1/8)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019 | 01:05 PM
Teching In

Default 2011 Silverado 419 stroker! Ran 7.5@93mph (1/8)

Hello guys I’m new to all this forum stuff well I’m looking for some tips on how to build me a killer set up with the motor that I have!

Well last week I hit the track for the first time after I did a motor swap.

First run and the only one that I did that night did good ran a 7.5@93mph cut a 1.6”

Well a lil bit about my set is

12.0 compression

4.085 bore

6.125 rods

4.000 stroke

4c stall (circle D 3800-4K)

Ls3 heads that I hand port them

Nnbs intake square ports that Hand ported.

F-35 cam

E85

6l80 with stock gears (3:42s)

Well honestly I was expecting a 7.2 or even a 7.3 was kinda disappointed but I know I got room for improvements. Talked to a couple of local shops to see what would they recommend me most of them said to go with prcs heads bigger cam and fast intake etc.

What threw me out is that one of them told me that I need a smaller stall. Because with the stall that I got I’m skipping all the torque that my stroker is making. I thought that would only work for lighter cars not 5000lbs brick like mine. What y’all think I should do next but some heads Intake bigger cam and see what I run ? Thanks!!

here is the video

Last edited by 20STYLOR; 04-18-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2019 | 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I think you have a pretty good setup and the biggest thing holding you back is the intake. You have a big cube stroker on a stock intake, even ported you need a better intake.

As for your times.. a lot of that will get better when you have more seat time and get everything dialed in. 1.6 60 ft aint bad but play around with the converter and see if it launches better when you flash stall it or foot brake stall it up.

Tell us more about the exhaust setup too.
Old 04-19-2019 | 04:09 PM
Banned

^^^^^ and look into rear geaing .....heavy truck needs help.
Hope your able to race this wk end weather pending.. Joe @ Comp Sales say's there's some quick na ls trucks out there.
Old 04-19-2019 | 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I actually said something about gearing and deleted it because I think he's running pretty short tires and the 6L80 first gear is real short. But in the video it runs out 1st gear there a bit so I would agree, adding a little gear should help.\

I think the converter is pretty good where it's at. When you foot brake stall it, what RPM can you get it to before it pushes the truck?
Old 04-20-2019 | 09:37 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

I’d throw a gear at it, especially with the 6 speed. Won’t hurt you on the highway.
Old 04-20-2019 | 09:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I think you have a pretty good setup and the biggest thing holding you back is the intake. You have a big cube stroker on a stock intake, even ported you need a better intake.

As for your times.. a lot of that will get better when you have more seat time and get everything dialed in. 1.6 60 ft aint bad but play around with the converter and see if it launches better when you flash stall it or foot brake stall it up.

Tell us more about the exhaust setup too.
yess I’m planning on getting a Holley high ram intake soon with a NW 102. Also the exhaust system is basic too Y pipe after heads to a 3” pipe and dump before rear end
Old 04-20-2019 | 09:57 PM
Teching In

I actually said something about gearing and deleted it because I think he's running pretty short tires and the 6L80 first gear is real short. But in the video it runs out 1st gear there a bit so I would agree, adding a little gear should help.\

I think the converter is pretty good where it's at. When you foot brake stall it, what RPM can you get it to before it pushes the truck?
my tire set up is 305/45/17 ... what gears would you think I should get? 3.73s or 4.10s.... went up all the way to 3k
Old 04-21-2019 | 01:37 AM
Banned

4.10 but would check what rpm & °*trans*°gear you'd be in (going across the line) as to maximize the stall and intake choice in the hi ram.

Last edited by Smokey B; 04-21-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-21-2019 | 09:25 AM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

With that much cr I would switch to a llsr cam and single plane intake.i have pickup that runs the same on motor but drops a second on nos.my cr. Is only 10.5 and a cam for a 370 and truck intake.i know if I change cam and intake I probably could pick up a half second on motor
Old 04-22-2019 | 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Damn 4.085 bore on an LS3/L92 block? Anyways I wouldn't run that F35 cam with it personally. With it being a 6L80E I'd look into Corcle D 6c (5200) custom spec cam vs off the shelf and 3.90-4.10 gears. I had a similar build on a customer's truck hit 7.20s at 91mph. With a SBE 6.2
Old 04-22-2019 | 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 20STYLOR
my tire set up is 305/45/17 ... what gears would you think I should get? 3.73s or 4.10s.... went up all the way to 3k
I'd like to see the stall hit higher up, play with the launch and see if you can get it to stall higher.

If I were you and you drive that truck on the street I would see what RPM you would be at at around 65 mph in 6th gear with your tire size then make a call on the gears. But usually with a 6 speed you can put some short gears in it and still be okay. Also obviously you wanna see what your max speed will be with the gears and the tire size you run but that's usually more of a concern when you don't have double over drive.

Here's the 6l80 gear ratios
https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...o-8-speed.html

Plug them into this with your tire size and rear gear and you can see what rear gear you'll like
http://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php

I also agree with all the advice above, setting up your gearing for when you cross the line is important, I would put larger exhaust on it, like dual 3" or single 4"

And I plugged in 4.10 gears, you'll be able to do 175 mph at 6k rpm in 6th on 27" tires.. so the above recommendations of 3.90-4.10 gears look like a great choice.

I'd really put some focus on getting that stall to stall higher as a starting point to getting faster et's. you said it's a 3800 and it's stalling at 3000 right?

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 04-22-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2019 | 03:18 PM
Banned

^^^^^
Smart man on dialing it in.
Old 04-29-2019 | 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 62nalide
Damn 4.085 bore on an LS3/L92 block? Anyways I wouldn't run that F35 cam with it personally. With it being a 6L80E I'd look into Corcle D 6c (5200) custom spec cam vs off the shelf and 3.90-4.10 gears. I had a similar build on a customer's truck hit 7.20s at 91mph. With a SBE 6.2
yes 4.085 bore on a ls3. Yeah I kinda wanted to try it out and see what it would do but didn’t work out ... I just order a cam from TS 251/263 kinda of a big cam but they told me should work good.. I also not sure what intake to get I been doing research and I’m leaning towards the Holley high ram intake (would work for me in the future since I’m planing on going boost). Honestly I think this stall is to big for my set up . Like I mention before a couple of people told me to get a smaller stall to catch all that torque that my stroker makes but I’m not so sure about it ...
Old 04-29-2019 | 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 20STYLOR
yes 4.085 bore on a ls3. Yeah I kinda wanted to try it out and see what it would do but didn’t work out ... I just order a cam from TS 251/263 kinda of a big cam but they told me should work good.. I also not sure what intake to get I been doing research and I’m leaning towards the Holley high ram intake (would work for me in the future since I’m planing on going boost). Honestly I think this stall is to big for my set up . Like I mention before a couple of people told me to get a smaller stall to catch all that torque that my stroker makes but I’m not so sure about it ...
I think it's the opposite, you are putting very big cams in there that hit up high and your converter is only stalling to 3000.

I have never heard the statement stall is too big and only stalling to 3000 in the same sentence. Cause that aint the case. Peak tq is going to be closer to 4000 and the bigger the cam the higher you shift that upward. You're now going to an even bigger cam, which means you should go to a bigger stall. You're going backwards at this point and going to go slower. You have an engine and now a cam that need more air than that intake can provide and the bigger cam is gonna make the problem worse.

The holley high ram is an upper rpm intake, you have a truck with a stall that's only stalling to 3k, again that's gonna make it slower.

Also with the larger cam you're going to have to rev it, you're probably gonna need to rev it to 7k or so, and with the 6l80 trans you are going to be landing on about 5-5300 rpm at the next gear so you're always gonna be ahead of the peak tq with shifts anyway. The larger stall will put you even further out with the shift extension.

I really think you should stop and put a game plan out on paper and match everything together. The fastest setups are the ones planned out to work together. The slowest are slapped together, I hope this works this time, setups.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 04-29-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2019 | 03:37 PM
Teching In

I think it's the opposite, you are putting very big cams in there that hit up high and your converter is only stalling to 3000.

I have never heard the statement stall is too big and only stalling to 3000 in the same sentence. Cause that aint the case. Peak tq is going to be closer to 4000 and the bigger the cam the higher you shift that upward. You're now going to an even bigger cam, which means you should go to a bigger stall. You're going backwards at this point and going to go slower. You have an engine and now a cam that need more air than that intake can provide and the bigger cam is gonna make the problem worse.

The holley high ram is an upper rpm intake, you have a truck with a stall that's only stalling to 3k, again that's gonna make it slower.

Also with the larger cam you're going to have to rev it, you're probably gonna need to rev it to 7k or so, and with the 6l80 trans you are going to be landing on about 5-5300 rpm at the next gear so you're always gonna be ahead of the peak tq with shifts anyway. The larger stall will put you even further out with the shift extension.

I really think you should stop and put a game plan out on paper and match everything together. The fastest setups are the ones planned out to work together. The slowest are slapped together, I hope this works this time, setups.
ohhh okay got you well this 2 people suggested me that but the difference btw me and them is they drive a car and I have a truck . Also at 75mph my Rpms are right at 2k so I think if I’ll go to 4.10s wouldn’t hurt me a lot ... well honestly I have only ran the truck 2 times at the track both time I lunch at 3k rpm but I’m sure I can lunch it a lil bit higher I just need to go back to the track and make more passes I also going to record my speedometer... yeah you right I should make a plan and do some research Bcs right now I’m just going or taking suggestions from different people and I don’t even know if that’s the right way for my set up ... first time building a stroker so I’m kinda new to this stuff ... I’m currently told my tuner to make the shift points right at 6800 so once i get that cam install and choose the right intake most likely I’m going to see if he can go up in the shift points and see how well the like it

Last edited by 20STYLOR; 04-29-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2019 | 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Funny you said something about a car, when I was reading your post in my head I went "this sounds more like a car setup".

Right now you basically have huge lungs breathing through a straw, and adding a bigger cam you're adding bigger lungs and using the same straw.

You need to make air be able to get in and out of the motor to allow the motor and cam to do it's thing. Right now you have a restrictive intake and exhaust on it. There's a chance you will actually go slower with that larger cam since it's even more of a mismatch to your setup that you have right now.

There's a crew cab truck (2015) on performance trucks running 12.1's which should be around a 7.4-7.5 also and it's just a 6.2 with a 222/230 cam and heads with a stall. And it's a crew cab with a lot less motor than you got and I believe it has 3.42 gears.

The biggest cam is far from the right answer for your setup. I would get a cam spec'd to your setup but you need to have an optimized setup for the cam to do it's thing.

You have enough motor to move the truck, there's a ton of cams that will get the job done, but NONE of them will be worth **** if the air can't get in and out. You have a 419 on single 3" exhaust. Change it to dual 3" and get a real intake on it and get time in at the track dialing in the launch and get the stall to hit higher THEN go from there.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 04-29-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2019 | 04:56 PM
Banned

I'm at 4000 to 4400 (wtf was I thinking of my SUV, certainly not my s10) with a single disc & 4l80e. Lighter truck with a little more duration 260/272 113+4 lsa. Gear 4.30.. As said cam is needed to match weight,gear and your goals. Added with what's spoken on about your lungs and being restrictive.....oh so true

Last edited by Smokey B; 08-26-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2019 | 03:25 AM
Teching In

Hello guys I’m back! With the new mods we’ll i did some research’s I end up getting a custom grind cam send my stall back to circle d got a 3200-3400 stall me and my friend ported my 821 heads milled .030 and I also put my Holley hi-ram also end up going with the 3.73sand Nickwilliams 102 TB and my friend did weird looking cold air intake but it works! Lol took to the dyno put down 552RWHP thru a 821 GM casting at 24 degrees of timing impressive!!!!!!

A lil bit about the air intake set up 4inche pipe wrapped in header wrap had to cut the girlll and I bought 2 90s coupling and a velocity stack here is the video.
the air temp at idle is the same as the outside temp while cruising the AT is 3-5 less than the outside temp!

Here err is the video of the dyno hope to go to the track soon to get some numbers! What y’all think it will hit at the 1/4
Old 08-26-2019 | 03:31 AM
Teching In

Funny you said something about a car, when I was reading your post in my head I went "this sounds more like a car setup".

Right now you basically have huge lungs breathing through a straw, and adding a bigger cam you're adding bigger lungs and using the same straw.

You need to make air be able to get in and out of the motor to allow the motor and cam to do it's thing. Right now you have a restrictive intake and exhaust on it. There's a chance you will actually go slower with that larger cam since it's even more of a mismatch to your setup that you have right now.

There's a crew cab truck (2015) on performance trucks running 12.1's which should be around a 7.4-7.5 also and it's just a 6.2 with a 222/230 cam and heads with a stall. And it's a crew cab with a lot less motor than you got and I believe it has 3.42 gears.

The biggest cam is far from the right answer for your setup. I would get a cam spec'd to your setup but you need to have an optimized setup for the cam to do it's thing.

You have enough motor to move the truck, there's a ton of cams that will get the job done, but NONE of them will be worth **** if the air can't get in and out. You have a 419 on single 3" exhaust. Change it to dual 3" and get a real intake on it and get time in at the track dialing in the launch and get the stall to hit higher THEN go from there.
I forgot to mention I also did the duals exhaust so now it’s Breathing
Old 08-26-2019 | 07:39 AM
Banned

Damn good thru a auto.....

Quick Reply: 2011 Silverado 419 stroker! Ran 7.5@93mph (1/8)