Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Daily Driver 4.8 Looking for 420-450hp

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver 4.8 Looking for 420-450hp

Long time listener, first time caller. I've had my truck about 5yrs now finally paid off and I want to add some performance to it. I drive it to and from work and around town. My only transportation. Im looking to get around 420-450hp out of it. I've read these 4.8's love boost. My original plan was to do a budget turbo build with an ebay turbo and a piece by piece of everything else needed, but now I kinda want to see if I can accomplish the same thing, just all motor. Was thinking a cam..maybe one that is also spec'd and ready for a turbo if I ever decide to make that jump. Maybe heads and exhaust from there back. I'm pretty new to the performance game and kinda dont know what I dont know. If i'm missing any important details that would help with advice, Im all ears. Thanks in advance fellas
Old 04-30-2019, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 412 Likes on 299 Posts

If its your only means of transportation i wouldn't put a cheap turbo on it and risk blowing it up. You also shouldn't aim for a dyno number. I highly recommend leaving it alone and buy another one or something similar if you'd like as a toy. Reaching 420 tire on a 4.8 on an honest dyno wouldn't drive too nice. But that's subjective.

You could put a small tow max cam in it with an upgraded valve train, headers and exhaust, better heads and intake and on and on. Talk to your local tuner I'm sure he has seen combos that work well for making power and great driveability
Old 05-02-2019, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Being a heavy truck and a daily driver , you can't beat the reliability and low end torque of a LSA setup it will easily make 500 whp without breaking a sweat on pump gas . It'll be hard to do 400 wheel all motor on a 4.8 , you would need a 4000 stall converter and loose a lot of low end torque.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
If its your only means of transportation i wouldn't put a cheap turbo on it and risk blowing it up. You also shouldn't aim for a dyno number. I highly recommend leaving it alone and buy another one or something similar if you'd like as a toy. Reaching 420 tire on a 4.8 on an honest dyno wouldn't drive too nice. But that's subjective.

You could put a small tow max cam in it with an upgraded valve train, headers and exhaust, better heads and intake and on and on. Talk to your local tuner I'm sure he has seen combos that work well for making power and great driveability
Yea, I guess I'm not necessarily looking for a Specific hp..I see what youre saying about not shooting for a dyno number. I guess all I really want is some better performance, better throttle response...hopefully it doesnt turn it into a gas hog. Thanks for chiming in and getting me a little more realistic. I feel like I can get what I need leaving it NA for sure
Old 05-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Yea maybe I dont need the horsepower as much as I just want it to be altil more fun to drive on the daily. I dont know if im thinking about boost anymore....for now
Im also not looking to break the bank on anything when it's not going to be something thats tracked. Will I have some fun at a stop light on occasion?..Probably, but I really just want that bump in performance while keeping some daily reliability

Last edited by RockChevy; 05-02-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds to me like a basic bolt-on blower kit would be the way to go here.