Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Almost a Gotcha on Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Almost a Gotcha on Build

Almost got roasted. Have built numerous various engines, and now assembling my first "LS", a Gen IV LS3. Was measuring main bearing bore ID, and kept feeling the parting surfaces of the bore sticking out more than it really should have. Looked into it more here, and found the bearing lock tangs are supposed to be opposite of each other, rather than on the same side as with historical engines. Also found the cap numbering to be not inline for all, which is supposedly correct. Now all seems decently better.

Wondering if there are any other assembly gremlins I should know about. Tempted to buy an SA book on LS assembly or otherwise to help relieve any questions of differences. Is there anything else that should be pointed out specific to assembly such as the issue mentioned? I'll probably know the rest, but then again, that type of attitude is what I was nearly just toasted on to begin with, all the way into the core of the engine. Ugh!

This was worth it to write even if one additional person learns from it. Thanks for the site!

Last edited by FormulaBoat; 05-23-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:04 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I usually go by the “ears” of the caps, they all face to the rear except for #5.

Someone on here recently had a problem with the wrong bolts in the cam retainer plate. The longer bolts will hit the crankshaft counterweigts and lock the engine up.

Feeler gauges should be used to center the oil pump on the crank snout gear and if using a double roller, make sure the oil pump spacers are not upside down. It can block off half the oil passage from the pump to the block if its upside down.

Everything else is pretty straightforward though. The more afermarket parts go in though, the more you have to check and sometimes fix.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Noted, thanks. All stock build on this one, but. Good mention on the oil pump spacers, thanks. That's exactly the stuff I'm referring to, even though I am using a stock chain and no spacers.

I was recently doing a Kubota diesel, and went through the shop manual anyways, and found a very small stand-alone O ring lays flat on the cylinder head deck when placing the head gasket in place. Would have never assumed that to be, never seen it done by anybody else.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as i know the bearing tangs can go in the caps either direction. The tangs only locate the bearings for assembly The tangs are not there to prevent bearing rotation. The bearing crush is what prevents rotation
Old 05-27-2019, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Understand and agree. But they will only fit correctly as installed when the align bore was done.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

These engines use 3 different sets of cam bearings ,depending on the year and the configuration of the engine. Stock, DOD ,VVT etc.