Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

4.8/5.3 metal in oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8/5.3 metal in oil

Hello; found metal filings in the magnetic oil plug, Question to rebuild the 4.8/5.3 or get a LS 3?? Thank you in advance.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Received 171 Likes on 85 Posts

Hold on. Let's back up. What else are you seeing? Any changes in oil pressure? Oil oxidizing (turning black) quicker than usual? Did you cut open the filter to check for metal particles there? Did you submit a sample of the oil for analysis to determine what kind of metal it is? Is this a one time occurrence or have you observed this over 2 or more oil changes?
The following users liked this post:
Bob Kocialski (07-15-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
Hold on. Let's back up. What else are you seeing? Any changes in oil pressure? Oil oxidizing (turning black) quicker than usual? Did you cut open the filter to check for metal particles there? Did you submit a sample of the oil for analysis to determine what kind of metal it is? Is this a one time occurrence or have you observed this over 2 or more oil changes?
^This

Because, correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's normal to see *some* amount of shimmer and metal in the filter - because, that's the purpose of the filter, it exists for that very reason, does it not?

With that being said, is it ever really possible to see 0 metal in the filter element? Maybe if you get lucky I guess?

And to the OP: Seeing some metal on the magnetic oil plug isn't totally abnormal, especially if it's almost a "cream" from the shavings being microscopic.

Thanks,
Andy
The following users liked this post:
Bob Kocialski (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Sorry to get back to you so late don't understand this App. ok no change in oil Pressure, oil was black before its time but it was oil change from a shop. I didn't tear filter apart I will next oil change. I changed to Mobil one 10/40 for summer.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:42 PM
Teching In

No no changes in oil pressure, oil changed to Mobil one had some regular oil from oil change shop prior, the oil was black before its scheduled time, never had a magnetic plug before, yes that is the job of an oil filter, I just started going to oil change shops at my age I cant get down and up like I use to its very frustrating.