Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Second Hand L98 (Australian gen IV)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Hand L98 (Australian gen IV)

Hello All,
I have been reading this forum with lots of interesting information. Im just looking for a few opinions for my project. I recently bought an L98 from a wreckers to put into a boat. After getting it home and onto a stand I could see it needed a sump gasket and rocker gaskets but looked ok so I did those, then I took the exhaust manifolds of and could see that a valve stem seal had failed. I took it back to the wreckers and they sourced another engine for me as they didnt have another in the yard. I took it home and put it on the stand pulled the fly wheel and balancer to find the front main seal leaking. Now I could fix this and move forward but as it is going into a boat I dont really want an engine that is already having problems, I don't know enough about the LS to know if this is a normal issue for a 107,000 km engine or if I have a potential dud. This was not cheap either. I could buy a crate engine for another $4000 and be done with it. Are seal problems a run of the mill issue with LS engines? Are they caused by any other issues such as overheating? Or is it likely that if I fix the seals (and new sump gasket) that the engine will otherwise run fine for the forseable future. I am most concerned as this boat has 1 engine which needs to be reliable to take us home from offshore, and adding all the auxilleries and getting it into the boat is a major time effort and hence having to pull it for ongoing issues is very undesirable. I am tempted just to buy a crate engine to ease the anxiety but I may be overreacting. Any opinions on this?

Last edited by Timomo; 11-02-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

A seal is just a seal, could be many reasons for them to leak. A few $$$ and it's replaced.

Sump gaskets are re-usable and rarely give trouble

Crate engine will have warranty, and been built properly.....they can make an awful lot of sense vs an unknown engine.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Front seal leak doesn't seem normal for only 107,000km LS engine.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Launch
Front seal leak doesn't seem normal for only 107,000km LS engine.
It doesn't, but it happens at times. It might have sat a while, got dry, and leaked. Put in a new one and use it. Should be fine.

Last edited by G Atsma; 11-04-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, I have found a groove in the surface of the balancer shaft so I'm going with hardened/old seal and will carry on with new seal and balancer.

Quick Reply: Second Hand L98 (Australian gen IV)