Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Huge problem with overfilled oil, looking for best approach....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 01:45 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2015 Camaro RS. I hear you on just leaving it as is, I am only doing a portion of the work so if things don't work out after that then he is ready & willing to accept the fact that he may have damaged it beyond a reasonable point.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Holy **** that's a 2015 camaro!!???

I was expecting a **** box ghetto cruiser cts lmao
Sorry man it was the first thing that came to mind with how it's been treated

I'll never understand how some people always get their hands on things I have rarely ever been able to afford and just **** all over them. My truck I have now is the newest vehicle I've ever had. I bought it at 4 years old, and i'm freaking 39 years old
Old 12-06-2019, 01:58 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I've dealt with a lot of people like that over many many years and good luck getting through. Most of the time they don't want to understand and 100% do not care. Their level of acceptable is so much lower than yours and that's where they want to be because "it worked just fine that way" and doing it right is "a scam". Essentially you'll be explaining yourself to people that are committed to misunderstanding you. Good luck trying, but honestly the best thing you can do is let them learn by letting them continue their bad choices and see for themselves where it gets them, they won't learn otherwise. If you fix it all up they are just going to destroy it because they don't value quality. Or they'll keep driving it into the ground and treating it like **** because they know someone else will come along and fix it all up for them. Guess who that is.

May seem negative, but you'll meet people every day that are just waiting to take advantage of some sucker.

I feel for you, I used to be you.
"I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you"
00pooterSS (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 01:59 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha I know man I know. It's a REALLY nice car otherwise. He has all kinds of exhaust, body kit, hood, ZL1 bits n pieces here and there. It's nowhere near my style of car but it's like a really nice car otherwise. He keeps everything except the important stuff that's vital in great shape haha.

While I have you here, check out this link https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...t=torque+specs

Notice how they say to only torque the head bolts down to 22 foot pounds? Doesn't that seem like it'd be only finger tight? Rims are typically 90 foot pounds you know... The only thing I can think of is it says to tighten to 22 foot pounds then when you hit that go another 150 degrees. Does that additional 150 degrees make the bolts that much tighter?

I'll be 38 in a few weeks and I grew up in a poor family of 10 kids in the projects of South Boston. I never thought I'd be able to afford a car so back when I have a few f-bodies and the GTO I would just baby them, clean em and just cherish the car in general. This is the same kid who had a Rousch Mustang and 500 rwhp Challenger and just wrecked them. Like you said, lack of caring when you can **** through cars with no consequences.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

The bolt is called "Torque to yield" but that is a bit of a misnomer. It's torque to strain. When to do the extra 150 degrees of rotation, the bolt stretches. It's the amount of stretch that is specified vs the torque applied to make it stretch that far.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

At 22ft/#'s, another 150 degrees (almost 1/2 a turn) will put it full torque spec. Once a bolt is seated, you'll notice you don't turn it much for every additional degree of tightness.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Well 22 plus 150 isn't the actual spec

buuut. When you turn it to a certain angle it is still torquing it, but to a more accurate torque than using a torque wrench. Many things can affect the torque reading. The amount of turn is more consistent.
G Atsma (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Well 22 plus 150 isn't the actual spec

buuut. When you turn it to a certain angle it is still torquing it, but to a more accurate torque than using a torque wrench. Many things can affect the torque reading. The amount of turn is more consistent.
Yeah, I wasn't sure it was ether, just used it as an example of how the torque plus angle thing worked. But finger tight....
Old 12-21-2019, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
I don't want to be blamed if the half hearted efforts made things worse and he thinks my ability to repair is to blame.
How'd this work out? Is the car up and running or did the owners destruction continue?

The way I learned to work on cars was to volunteer to help, do a lot of crappy jobs to be able to hang out in the garage with the guys that had bad *** cars, shut up and listen to what they were telling me. By the time I got my license, I had some knowledge - but that was all pre-youtube.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

With that much sludge, i'd run it for 5-10 mins on tranny fluid & 1qt kerosene as engine oil, and let it clean all the **** out. Then drain & refill it and call it good. Will clean that sludge right up.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DietCoke
With that much sludge, i'd run it for 5-10 mins on tranny fluid & 1qt kerosene as engine oil, and let it clean all the **** out. Then drain & refill it and call it good. Will clean that sludge right up.
^^^^^^^^ Good idea, as ATF has huge amounts of detergent in it. Between it and the kerosene acting as a solvent, a lot will be done, as DietCoke said.

Quick Reply: Huge problem with overfilled oil, looking for best approach....