Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Short / Long Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020 | 07:20 PM
Teching In

Default Short / Long Blocks

After 65 poeple read my post asking for references on wheres everyone getting there built short or longs blocks built from an NOT 1 person left a repsonse
anyone have any good reveiws or leads on a reputatable shop to buy a built long block from ???????????????????????????????????????
Old 07-14-2020 | 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

More than likely it's because DAMN FEW people here "buy" that sort of thing. We BUILD em.

"Buy" is a crap shoot. You can go with anything from yer corner parts store, to national-level suppliers to fleets like Jasper or ATK, to local or even nationally-known race shops. Each has positives and negatives. Mostly those amount to quality / longevity / consistency / etc. vs price. Each of those factors can vary EASILY by an order of magnitude (factor of 10) OR MORE. Just asking that question like you did, is entirely too open-ended for somebody to give you a meaningful answer.

That said, I'd build mine myself.

Last edited by RB04Av; 07-14-2020 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
64post (07-16-2020)
Old 07-14-2020 | 07:32 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

I build mine myself, but if I were going to commission a builder it would be either Tony Mamo in Valencia, or HPR in Dallas.
Old 07-14-2020 | 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Custom?... HPR, or someone local/close with a great reputation. Quality/Mass produced short/long blocks, TSP,Thompsen,
CBM,Turnkey, all have pretty good reputations. I had Dustin Lee Racing Engines in Lancaster CA build mine,
Fantastic Builder, Great results, however took nearly a year and ~ 300 miles away.
I would absolutely use him again .

Take your time, do your research and know what you want. Don't put more than 50% down for custom and have a
written contract (this applies to custom build obviously)
My .02
Good Luck

Last edited by NAVYBLUE210; 07-14-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2020 | 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

I was trying to get a short block from thompson last Thursday. According to the receptionist, theyre just busy. I've called every day but today, where my wife left a note on their page asking to call me back. Apparently, they're doing so well they don't even need to sell motors anymore. So that's good if you're into that. Personally, Im over it and will take business elsewhere.
rkupon1 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020 | 11:46 PM
Teching In

I had mamomotorsports do mine
Old 07-15-2020 | 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

I'm surprised there haven't be a cascade of just get a junk yard engine and use it since that's usually the least expensive way and least hassle.

My TA's 416 short block came from ERL and I would have recommended ERL except ERL closed shop on automotive applications at the end of 2017 and moved to marine applications. RED aka Race Engine Design is a top choice if your looking to sleeve a block etc for a big bore build. RED is know for outstanding quality machine work. However I don't think they build short blocks these days.

Should I get to do another build like a 402 LS2 for my Z28 then Lingenfelter Performance Engineering or Bischoff Engine Service are top choices after much research. There are less expensive options but both but shops listed above are within a few hours drive and have long maintained outstanding reputations. Mamo Motorsports or Horsepower Research would be an excellent option too if they are located fairly close. If going "long distance" I would strongly consider Mamo & HPR. I usually want to find a shop that's within driving distance. Makes delivery of block easier and pick up of completed engine easier.

Many will say find a local machine shop and learn to do it yourself. If that's an option and you have the tools & skills that would be the most likely the less expensive.

Others will say equal work can be had at shops that charge less than the ones I mentioned - perhaps that's true sometimes I'd rather pay to have it done once and not worry about it for a long time than gamble. Everyone has a different budget and tolerance for risk.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 07-15-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2020 | 09:00 AM

Schwanke does some pretty badass work. So does Shafiroff
NAVYBLUE210 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020 | 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I was trying to get a short block from thompson last Thursday. According to the receptionist, theyre just busy. I've called every day but today, where my wife left a note on their page asking to call me back. Apparently, they're doing so well they don't even need to sell motors anymore. So that's good if you're into that. Personally, Im over it and will take business elsewhere.
You looking for a short block? text me. I might be able to help you.
Old 07-15-2020 | 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

If I didnt build my own engines, texas speed is one that I'd buy from.
Old 07-15-2020 | 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Schwanke does some pretty badass work. So does Shafiroff
really? Didn’t they only build dirt track engines? I remember seeing them when I first fouls LS1tech. I didn’t get the impression of high quality builds. Thanks for correcting my past thoughts of them.
Old 07-15-2020 | 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

I have my LSX currently being built by LME, on that note its been 8 months and still waiting. Covid has really put custom parts on hold, there's noting you can do but wait.
Old 07-15-2020 | 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

There are VERY FEW engine builds you can get that are more carefully done than dirt track ones. Not "hobby stock" or "bomber" or "motor claimer" ones of course, but the WOO and anything remotely like that, sprint cars and late-models and such, are some of the best around. VASTLY better than a typical drag build. Reason being, in those kinds of racing, you CANNOT win a race with the motor, but you can SURE AS HELL lose them. And that's the last thing any of those guys want, is to blow up on the next to last lap while leading, or something like that. That kind of motor gets more abuse in one heat race than a typical drag motor gets in a whole season. They are built with great attention to detail for longevity, lasting as long as possible, not blowing up, holding together, and ... did I forget to mention ... LONGEVITY. They have to make good power, of course; but LONGEVITY above all else is key. If LONGEVITY and durability and lasting a long time all sound like something you don't want, then stay away from any kind of round-track racing engine builders.
Old 07-15-2020 | 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

Give us a call if you like, Dustin does awesome work and is a good guy.
Our turn around time is 4 to 8 weeks depending on the time of year.
Thanks and good luck.
Old 07-15-2020 | 04:35 PM
Launching!

That's very unusual. I've used Thompson before and their pricing and customer service is awesome. Add their warranty and its a no brainer!

I know they usually keep some engines in stock and that this is also their busy season.

I've forwarded this link to them. I'm sure you'll get a reply soon
Old 07-15-2020 | 04:47 PM
Banned

​​​​@themealonwheels I apologize we haven't gotten back with you just yet, i can assure you we are not ignoring, and would love to work with/help you with anything we can sir.
Feel free to shoot me an email. @ Dustin@thompsonmotorsports.net or give me a call @ 972-853-2450 you are also more than welcome to shoot us a message on Fb or insta as well. Whatever works best for you!

Thank you
Dustin
Sales Manager
Thompson Motorsports
The following 2 users liked this post by thompson:
G Atsma (07-15-2020), JRFed (07-21-2020)
Old 07-15-2020 | 07:39 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

It's a tough decision when buying a short block. I'm the type that will often do things myself solely because of trust issues not because I think I'm more skilled. I did a lot of research and read books considering options of whether or not to build the short block or buy and if so from who. With that said it's hard to compliment someone these days without someone thinking you are putting someone else down so trust me that isn't the case. After much consideration I went with TSP for a forged LS3 short block. The order process was painless with their online engine ordering and I also got a follow up phone call with a few questions about my goals/combo and verifying the order. At the time of the order I was estimated about 6 weeks lead time and I received my short block in about 7 weeks in mid March with being told getting the rods was a hold up. Honestly in this hobby I've learned to expect much longer than the estimated lead time when it comes to engines. So one week was nothing compared to what I've experienced and there was a legitimate reason for it. Shipping was super easy with lift gate service and pallet jacked the short block right into my garage. It took about 11 days for me to build the motor from there, install it, and have it tuned good enough to be safe for wot. I'm running a fairly aggressive cam for a boosted 377 232/248 duration and pushing 15 psi via a D1x procharger on 50% ethanol. So far I'm very happy with it and would definitely do business with them again.

Here is my video unboxing my TSP short block in my little low budget garage:
Old 07-15-2020 | 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

'Bout like unwrapping the BIG ONE on Christmas morning....
Old 07-16-2020 | 12:31 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by thompson
​​​​@themealonwheels I apologize we haven't gotten back with you just yet, i can assure you we are not ignoring, and would love to work with/help you with anything we can sir.
Feel free to shoot me an email. @ Dustin@thompsonmotorsports.net or give me a call @ 972-853-2450 you are also more than welcome to shoot us a message on Fb or insta as well. Whatever works best for you!

Thank you
Dustin
Sales Manager
Thompson Motorsports
He tried that already...maybe try and return his email or call(s). After a few attempts, there must be something somewhere left to reach back out to him. If not, thats a kink in the chain.
themealonwheels (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020 | 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by rkupon1
He tried that already...maybe try and return his email or call(s). After a few attempts, there must be something somewhere left to reach back out to him. If not, thats a kink in the chain.
yeah, tried by phone (almost daily), email (twice) and Facebook (once). The last straw was when I was tagged on here yesterday. Forget it, I'm selling the car non-running.

I will say, the two motors I had experience with from thompson were decent. And Dustin had time to talk with me a couple months ago when the idea first came up. But now? Nah.

Quick Reply: Short / Long Blocks