Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Increasing compression in a 6.0 L96?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
What happens if you go past peak? Does the air stop moving all of a sudden?

NO but your not getting any more
Old 12-13-2020, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by G Atsma
A .025 cut takes about 4cc out of the chamber. That plus whatever the .008 thinner HG adds gets him an 11.65:1 CR

Thank you for the calculation! I tried using the calculator but wasn't getting the result I thought I should be getting, I had listened to you and others on a thread I started and I'm glad I did, this really woke it up! ONLY regret is I didn't do it when I first put the heads on.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Isn't that in total, less than a 1/4 point in compression? And it really woke it up? .025 mill is a touch more than a clean up pass. My printer paper is thicker.

A .025 cut takes about 4cc out of the chamber. That plus whatever the .008 thinner HG adds gets him an 11.65:1 CR from a stock of 10.9 to 1
Old 12-13-2020, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Corona
👆 Speechless....👍 He Knows the Facts.

is that why his sig has all the FACTS except rwhp?
Old 12-13-2020, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by cmysix
Thank you for the calculation! I tried using the calculator but wasn't getting the result I thought I should be getting, I had listened to you and others on a thread I started and I'm glad I did, this really woke it up! ONLY regret is I didn't do it when I first put the heads on.
Anytime, man! I keep the Summit Calculators page link on my desktop! REALLY comes in handy sometimes! LOL
Old 12-13-2020, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by cmysix
NO but your not getting any more
Getting anymore what?

Do you make less power when you lift the valve past your peak cfm number?
Old 12-15-2020, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamic396
It's about getting the valve to peak flow as quickly as possible and keeping it there for as long as possible within a given duration window. That is, more often than not, going to involve lifting the valve past the point where flow no longer increases with additional lift. Unless you have a horrible port design (and they do exist) and flow actually decreases with additional lift (eg. port stalls), the port will continue to flow at max as you continue to lift the valve. But it will have spent a significant amount more time with that amount of flow, and you will have gotten to, say .150" or .200" lift (where flow is increasing very rapidly with increased lift) more quickly, and stayed above that amount of lift longer than you would by only lifting the valve to where flow stops increasing and then returning the valve to the seat.
yep,alot are not factoring the deflection in the valve train an expansion of the block an heads..if you peak at .600 an airs still clean at .650 your not going to hurt a thing.your dwell time in that cfm range is just increased which means more avg cylinder fill time at peak flow..air speed is king not so much flow,just for folks to remember..but if my heads peaked max at .600 an i had a .600 lift cam.on a all alum deal your .015" less at temp from expansion now factoring deflection an your really only seeing .580 lift an then with his theory your avg time there is next to knoll.

going past will just increase your avg fill time..a cylinder now can only ingest what it can an that is controlled via valve events. a port may only be able to support so much flow an say 300 for ease at peak like hes saying but its not the limiting factor because the cylinder fill volume is the dictator. the longer you spend in a heads peak velocity range the quicker the cylinder will fill..not hard to get,its the very same reason why a engine with a good port will want a earlier ivc number in the valve events..much like a lazy exh port youll open the evo sooner to compensate..cough cough cath vs rec port cams for example 🙂

now o.p i have lq9 short block with rec ports milled .100" off the decks.i fly cut the pistons .150" an with a .051 gasket im rate around 12.5-1 comp..i ported a ls3 intake so itd be a sleeper combo an ment to rev to 7500..intake made 15 more hp on a cam only ls3 vs stock intake on btrs dyno an carried nicely..look in my for sale ad on it to see the crazy work i did an dyno graphs..i should make a how to on doing the port work an others..
The following 3 users liked this post by suicidal racing:
Corona (12-16-2020), Darth_V8r (12-18-2020), DualQuadDave (12-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Increasing compression in a 6.0 L96?