Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls2 bearing clearance too tight????

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ls2 bearing clearance too tight????

I'm having issues with a stock bottom end ls2 I'm putting together. It's got a 24x crank from a 2004 6.0 that's been turned .010 on mains and rods. So I've measured, remeasured, and measured about 20 times the main journals on the crank and bearing in the torqued caps to try and figure main bearing clearances. I keep coming up with .0010 +- a few .0001s
I even plastigaged and it pretty much confirms my measurements I'm getting with the dial bore and calipers. I've tried two different sets of .010 bearings with the same results.
my question is will polishing crank be able to get me to .0017-.0019 range or is that too much?

Old 09-01-2020, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
The machine shop should have gave you the correct bearings to use with the machined crank.

When you mic'd the crank what did you get for the rod and main journals? What did you get for measurements on the big end of the rods with the bearings installed and torqued?

What did you get on the block mains with the bearings installed and torqued? Once these measurements are known you will then be able to determine what your clearance is.
Motor only had 80k and spun a rod bearing so I replaced the crank and rods. Got a stock crank from orielys with .010 bearings for mains.

Crank... 2.549--2.552
Block.. 2.550--2.553
on average I'm getting around .0010 clearance.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 363 Likes on 235 Posts

You have a bunch of problems happening at the same time. I built my LS2 myself w/ new GM crank and got nearly exactly what you got. My crank would lock up when you torqued down the mains. Easiest way to deal with this is probably have the block align bored. It's off, guaranteed. The crank is also guaranteed off since it's an auto parts store special, but it'll be easier to fix the block and see where specs fall vs. Trying to redo the crank. Either that or see if they will take crank back and start w/ a new GM crank and half shell the bearings like I did.

Quick Reply: Ls2 bearing clearance too tight????