Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

05 6.0 newb build

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 6.0 newb build

Hey guys new here. I’ve never messed with gas engine performance I’ve only played with diesels. I have a buddy helping me along the way but some more opinion certainly can’t hurt. I have a 1968 Chevelle with a tired 396 and a 4 speed I’m bringing into the 21st century with a boosted LS and a TR6060. I’m looking for 600rwhp+ out of the setup. I’ll either be boxing/gusseting my stock A body frame or buying a fabricated chassis. Not looking for a drag car just a nasty stockish looking street car with modern suspension and mini tubs.

I picked up a 2005 6.0 out of an HD truck that appears to be a gen 3 block with gen 4 internals after removing the oil pan and windage tray. The motor has 110k on it and everything looks good inside so I was just planning replacing the bearings and leaving the stock rotating assembly. I got a few parts at my buddies discretion so far

-Head studs
-Main, rod and cam bearings
-BTR platinum valve springs
-BTR pushrods
-Felpro MLS head gaskets
-Summit LS turbo cam 231/234 115+5, .600/.575 lift

Of course I’ll regasket the whole motor when putting it back together so I didn’t include those things. The original plan was a fast spooling twin turbo setup but I’m wondering for the power I’m after if something like a 2.3L Whipple supercharger would be a better fit? I’m sure I couldn’t go wrong either way but I’d like to hear some thoughts on either setup. I’d like to get this part nailed down so I can order injectors and other supporting mods.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 188 Likes on 113 Posts

I had a 6.0L LQ4 4 with ported heads and a TVS2300 blower on top. Never had it on a dyno, but pretty sure is was around 600 wheel based on two other TVS2300 builds. That was enough blower speed with a 3.2" blower pulley to see 10psi with very mild cam and all the bolt ons. Perfect manners and over 500 ft lbs just over idle. I'd probably go twin T with an auto trans. TVS all the way with an M6 tranny.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I had a 6.0L LQ4 4 with ported heads and a TVS2300 blower on top. Never had it on a dyno, but pretty sure is was around 600 wheel based on two other TVS2300 builds. That was enough blower speed with a 3.2" blower pulley to see 10psi with very mild cam and all the bolt ons. Perfect manners and over 500 ft lbs just over idle. I'd probably go twin T with an auto trans. TVS all the way with an M6 tranny.
Im a pretty diehard manual guy, I’ve been tossing around the idea of going auto with a manual valve body but that just isn’t my thing. Not having to re-spool so to speak after each shift would be pretty nice.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 188 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnull
Im a pretty diehard manual guy, I’ve been tossing around the idea of going auto with a manual valve body but that just isn’t my thing. Not having to re-spool so to speak after each shift would be pretty nice.
Me too. I looked at selling my '69 Camaro, selling my C6, and putting my wife back to work in order to pay for a C8 Vette. Just can't get around the fact that there's no manual transmission option though. Plus I think she would eventually kill me in my sleep. There's that...
Old 10-01-2020, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Me too. I looked at selling my '69 Camaro, selling my C6, and putting my wife back to work in order to pay for a C8 Vette. Just can't get around the fact that there's no manual transmission option though. Plus I think she would eventually kill me in my sleep. There's that...
Haha I guess it depends how much she likes cars. A C8 would be awesome and I understand in order to be recognized as a “super car” they had to go paddle shift auto but it’s still disappointing. These days I really respect the manual only cars like subaru STIs and GT350R’s.

Quick Reply: 05 6.0 newb build