Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Chinese Connecting Rods

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Groesbeck
Thanks for your reply. The rods are TSP Super H-Beam Rods and they were forged and machined in China. The engine is Pro-Charged with cam, headers, meth system, Aster Bracket and we expect it to make 750/800 rwhp using 12 pounds of boost. This engine is replacing a LS3 crate engine that blew up on the dyno. The iron block was built to handle up to 1000 rwhp.
Plenty of people make more than that on factory gen 4 rods. Any forged rod will handle that power and be the least of your concerns.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

It is kind of a crap shoot these days. If they are a name brand rod, chances are they were inspected and being manufactured to the company's specifications, although it is REALLY easy to forge material specifications in China. More than likely, the forging was made in China and machined here. That doesn't really mean they are better, but you can catch the material issues when they are being machined and inspected PLUS you keep some fellow American machinists employed.

If they are Weirj Unk brand from China that you never hear of before off Ebay, good luck fixing that hole in the side of your block.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Everything gets blown out of proportion on the internet so its a safe bet the TSP rods are good otherwise forums would be exploding with rod failure stories both 1st hand & 2nd hand bashing defective rods etc.

If the quality Chinese made rods that the major vendors use and sell had failure issues, LS1Tech would be flooded with threads like "My Rods Failed Help!" We don't seem to see a lot of rods failed threads and when we do its mostly due to issues that didn't have anything to do with rod quality.
One probably should deal with quality reputation established vendors. Going Fleabay to buy critical parts from unknown sources is pretty much accepting a higher level of risk of faulty parts. That risk isn't due to the manufacturer necessarily but due to a hoodwinking vendor that's happy to pedal junk.

Have three motors with quality manufactured Chinese cranks & rods that were US machined and no worries
Old 10-11-2020, 01:07 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Everything gets blown out of proportion on the internet so its a safe bet the TSP rods are good otherwise forums would be exploding with rod failure stories both 1st hand & 2nd hand bashing defective rods etc.

If the quality Chinese made rods that the major vendors use and sell had failure issues, LS1Tech would be flooded with threads like "My Rods Failed Help!" We don't seem to see a lot of rods failed threads and when we do its mostly due to issues that didn't have anything to do with rod quality.
One probably should deal with quality reputation established vendors. Going Fleabay to buy critical parts from unknown sources is pretty much accepting a higher level of risk of faulty parts. That risk isn't due to the manufacturer necessarily but due to a hoodwinking vendor that's happy to pedal junk.

Have three motors with quality manufactured Chinese cranks & rods that were US machined and no worries
i could not agree more. While rods 100% forged and machined in the US are available, the costs are double to triple+ that of the Jina rods. The only applications I’d consider running the US made rods would be an endurance racing application, and even then, they would get changed out each season...same as a Jina rod would for me in the same application.
I’m running Compstar Jina rods and crank in my 434 and I’ve put several sets of other Chinese rods in other engines without an issue. You will see manufacturing tolerances that will vary a thou or two in the center to center lengths from time to time, but the small and big end numbers are generally very close. On the other side of this discussion, I saw the snout break off a Winberg crankshaft once that was set up and sized properly for the front drives and accessories that we were running off of it. Truth is anything can and will fail.
The following users liked this post:
BCNUL8R (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

I run Compstar rods (China forgings) and run them to 7800rpm with 1000-1200rwhp without issues. While it would be nice to have some Callies $1500 H or I beams... I don't feel they are needed in my setup. You engine will be fine as anything under 1000rwhp I just run a stock cast crankshaft without thinking twice about it.
JRFed (10-20-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I am with the poster. Chinese products are suspect and enter the United States as the result of decades of international globalism. When you purchase a Chinese product or use their labor to produce one, several things occurs: (1) you support slave labor; (2) you provide money to Communist Red China, since the Chinese government owns a 50% interest in all Chinese companies; (3) you add to our trade deficit; and (4) the list goes on and on. Need I say more.

The President is right about trade with these people. It has to stop. The President wants to return the United States to being the manufacturing center of the world. Prices will drop once market share is recaptured. Besides, even today many US manufactures such as Howards make reasonably priced rods and other components here.

I have no problem with purchasing a quality part from Taiwan, or Korea for instance. They are democracies, allies, and our trading partners. You think about who gave us Covid. Think about how China prevented travel from Wohan to its cities but allowed unrestricted international travel. Yea, avoid them and treat them as the purveyors of plague that they are. Otherwise, your grand children will have to learn Chinese.
The following 2 users liked this post by rednari2:
DualQuadDave (10-21-2020), G Atsma (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 462 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by rednari2
I am with the poster. Chinese products are suspect and enter the United States as the result of decades of international globalism. When you purchase a Chinese product or use their labor to produce one, several things occurs: (1) you support slave labor; (2) you provide money to Communist Red China, since the Chinese government owns a 50% interest in all Chinese companies; (3) you add to our trade deficit; and (4) the list goes on and on. Need I say more.

The President is right about trade with these people. It has to stop. The President wants to return the United States to being the manufacturing center of the world. Prices will drop once market share is recaptured. Besides, even today many US manufactures such as Howards make reasonably priced rods and other components here.

I have no problem with purchasing a quality part from Taiwan, or Korea for instance. They are democracies, allies, and our trading partners. You think about who gave us Covid. Think about how China prevented travel from Wohan to its cities but allowed unrestricted international travel. Yea, avoid them and treat them as the purveyors of plague that they are. Otherwise, your grand children will have to learn Chinese.
But I want to learn how to make bat soup.

The following 3 users liked this post by bortous:
99 Black Bird T/A (10-23-2020), G Atsma (10-21-2020), LilJayV10 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

What bolts are in the rods?
Old 10-21-2020, 08:51 PM
JKD
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
But I want to learn how to make bat soup.
Bort, I hear they have a killer recipe in woohan
G Atsma (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Don't buy a late model vehicle, I've disassembled a few and they are loaded with made in china stickers.
As far as China is concerned, Everyone would have to refuse to buy anything made in china and then wait for a few years for products to be manufactured in this country before buying. It would actually hurt our economy for a while but would be worth it in the long run. The sad thing is you'll never get enough people to do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by LLLosingit:
DualQuadDave (10-21-2020), G Atsma (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 363 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Don't buy a late model vehicle, I've disassembled a few and they are loaded with made in china stickers.
As far as China is concerned, Everyone would have to refuse to buy anything made in china and then wait for a few years for products to be manufactured in this country before buying. It would actually hurt our economy for a while but would be worth it in the long run. The sad thing is you'll never get enough people to do it.
Sadly, that's the truth. I do everything I can to not support China, but it's a mass scale problem. God bless you, Sir. We are the minority.
G Atsma (10-21-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 462 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
Sadly, that's the truth. I do everything I can to not support China, but it's a mass scale problem. God bless you, Sir. We are the minority.
The only way to not support China is for every country to bring back all the damn manufacturing!
This is why we have to outsource everything because the governments sold us out to China and made so many addicted to cheap labour.
Then you have laws that favour outsourcing.
When this changes, it will be for the betterment of the citizens.

G Atsma (10-22-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 06:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

The only way to not support China is for every country to bring back all the damn manufacturing!
This is why we have to outsource everything because the governments sold us out to China and made so many addicted to cheap labour.
You can't blame the government for this, The people buy whatever is cheapest and if you run a business you have to do the same or your not going to be able to compete. Our government can enact more tariffs but china is also a consumer of our goods so they will just do the same to us. It's up to the people to make the change.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

That won't work. We do not even have the manpower anymore to manufacture everything we use in the USA. Most people could not even afford to buy half the stuff that is being made overseas if it were made in the USA. Your can opener would not be $50 instead of $20. Is the quality going to be any better? Probably not. How much are you going to pay workers to make those can openers?

We need to bring more consumer based items tot he USA because that is what our economy lives on from day to day. Most of our manufacturing is commercial or industrial minus the automotive. In reality though, most of that stuff will be automated, so even though it is made here, the creation of new jobs will be minimal. Manufacturing in my state has increase over the years, but manufacturing jobs keep falling.

Last edited by joyridin'; 10-24-2020 at 07:46 AM.
G Atsma (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

If you think that something is better simply because it has a sticker saying it was made in the USA, you are a fool.

Unless you are getting certified product with traceable paperwork guaranteeing the quality and manufacturing processes, it is all the same trash.

How many people have DoD budgets? How many people ACTUALLY care enough to pay the prices of certified domestic products? Who even makes CERTIFIED domestic con-rods? Not enough demand for domestic, not enough domestic laborers willing to manufacture the products domestically even if the demand goes up... shove that quasi-patriotism right up your domestic @$$... what a joke. Such a dumb thing to get bent out of shape over. It's just a sticker...
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidBoren:
G Atsma (10-23-2020), grubinski (11-07-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 08:05 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
If you think that something is better simply because it has a sticker saying it was made in the USA, you are a fool.

Unless you are getting certified product with traceable paperwork guaranteeing the quality and manufacturing processes, it is all the same trash.

How many people have DoD budgets? How many people ACTUALLY care enough to pay the prices of certified domestic products? Who even makes CERTIFIED domestic con-rods? Not enough demand for domestic, not enough domestic laborers willing to manufacture the products domestically even if the demand goes up... shove that quasi-patriotism right up your domestic @$$... what a joke. Such a dumb thing to get bent out of shape over. It's just a sticker...
Oliver and Dyers are the only two companies that I’m aware of, still producing a 100% American steel with forging and machining done here in America. I “think” that MGP rods are all American made also but not sure if they make a steel rod, only aluminum.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, if China Joe and the Harris Marxist prevail, there will be alot more than a flood of Chinese products. Indeed, you will have to learn Mandarin after the take over. I pray that God through the courts saves us, and I could not be more correct in that belief. God Bless and save the United States!
The following 3 users liked this post by rednari2:
G Atsma (11-07-2020), LLLosingit (11-07-2020), WE TODD DID (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Well, if China Joe and the Harris Marxist prevail, there will be alot more than a flood of Chinese products. Indeed, you will have to learn Mandarin after the take over. I pray that God through the courts saves us, and I could not be more correct in that belief. God Bless and save the United States!
Amen, Brother!
Old 11-07-2020, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 470 Likes on 272 Posts

I already learned Chinese. I’ve been to China many times on business, and I’m guessing you got your “information” from some website written by somebody else who’s never been there.

Back on topic, I wouldn’t worry at all about rods from any reputable company, regardless of source.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by grubinski
I already learned Chinese. I’ve been to China many times on business, and I’m guessing you got your “information” from some website written by somebody else who’s never been there.

Back on topic, I wouldn’t worry at all about rods from any reputable company, regardless of source.
Sounds like you are making a lot of money from Chinese imports. The above are things I know from talking to certain Chinese persons that I have a relationship with. Its also common knowledge that Chinese workers have few rights. Going there means little, especially if one chooses to ignore China's problems such as workers rights and filthy air. Of course all looks good as you conduct business from Hong Kong or the Shanghai Hilton.

Its also sounds like you import Chinese auto parts. Almost have China Joe too! But, we will see about that, globalist

Quick Reply: Chinese Connecting Rods