Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 with LS7 Drysump, something to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question LS3 with LS7 Drysump, something to do?

Hi Guys!

Thanks for any help. I heard about there is something to change (closing of ports?) on the LS3 block oil system, if an LS7 dry sump is mounted.

Regards
Old 10-22-2020, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Ls7 dry sump requires the long snout crank to run the second stage of the oil pump. So you need the crank, oil pump, front cover, pan, tank, lines etc. I thought about it at one point when I was building a stroker but once you get everything its almost as expensive as a real dry sump set up and it isnt as good as one because it only has one scavenge section in the pan. So all the oil still returns through the block eliminating the horsepower you save from the decreased windage and aeration of the oil in a true dry sump set up. Just my 2 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by jordoza:
LS3Whipple (10-24-2020), NAVYBLUE210 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jordoza
Ls7 dry sump requires the long snout crank to run the second stage of the oil pump. So you need the crank, oil pump, front cover, pan, tank, lines etc. I thought about it at one point when I was building a stroker but once you get everything its almost as expensive as a real dry sump set up and it isnt as good as one because it only has one scavenge section in the pan. So all the oil still returns through the block eliminating the horsepower you save from the decreased windage and aeration of the oil in a true dry sump set up. Just my 2 cents.
Thx for your info!
I already have the LS7 dry sump mounted on my LS3 engine. So the most you write must have been installed.
But I heard that something has to be changed on the LS3 block, otherwise some parts do not get enough oil ??

What I figure out on blue prints is that both work on the same port of the block. So I do not see any difference. What about the way around the oil filter?
Old 10-23-2020, 04:04 AM
Launching!

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Nothing needs to be changed. Its a hydrib system much like the old barnes in pan setup for sbc. For a true external dry sump you need to plug the feed from the now missing crank mounted oil pump and either use a dedicated feed i to the gallery or the block rail. The ls7 srtup uses all block internaps like stock. The scavenge and pressure sections are seperated in the oil pan. That's what the stuff in there is for with additional hookups at the front scavemge section (hence different pan gasket)
The following users liked this post:
LS3Whipple (10-24-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 04:37 AM
Teching In

Hi @Twin_Turbo

to realy understand that, with internal ls7 dry sump pump, there is nothing that needs to be changed inside the ls3 block !?
do you know any pics oder partlists that I could doublecheck that everything is correct and mounted inside?
is it possible to see the crank is the long nose one installed with demounted oil pan?

THX !!!
Old 10-23-2020, 10:50 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

You might need to plug the hole in the block for the dipstick tube.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
You might need to plug the hole in the block for the dipstick tube.
of course
Old 04-08-2022, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently doing this to my LS3. I just purchased an ls3 crank with extended snout. I've got the front cover and oil pump currently. However I'd like to see photos of this idea completed. I am trying to figure out the brackets and making sure everything lines up.

Quick Reply: LS3 with LS7 Drysump, something to do?