Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What limits RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBuick6
Cam, Springs, Pushrods and a trunion kit. Nothing else is needed internally. Sell the rockers and use those funds for the previous parts you don not have, if any.
Have a cam I like. Posted the cam card a few posts ago. Keeping the rockers. I like the rockers. The trunnions have already been done. Just don't know what the springs are.

Comp Cams recommends this spring kit, 26926TS-kit spring kit. Have to see what's in there when I pull the valve covers.

I will up the boost but not before forging the rotating assembly.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 430 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJewels
Have a cam I like. Posted the cam card a few posts ago. Keeping the rockers. I like the rockers. The trunnions have already been done. Just don't know what the springs are.

Comp Cams recommends this spring kit, 26926TS-kit spring kit. Have to see what's in there when I pull the valve covers.

I will up the boost but not before forging the rotating assembly.
I'm also from Dayton.
I've ridden 7600 RPM for 15+ seconds on high boost with stock: rockers/trunions/pushrods/valves/retainers/lifters/timing chain/pistons/rods/rod bolts.... basically everything stock except cam/springs.
Your gen 4 bottom end is stronger than my gen 3 bottom end. Don't stress too much over upgrading things that don't need it.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Nothing wrong with the latest version of YT rockers, just make sure your springs are specced for the addition nose weight from the YT’s. It’s roughly 10 grams...I’ve weighed them.
Are you looking for a power goal, or do you just want to turn rpm regardless?
@Che70velle What accommodation needs to be made for the additional nose weight?
Old 11-29-2020, 06:19 AM
On The Tree

You do not need To port the heads. LS3 castings flow mega air and don’t need ported except in extreme max-effort builds. Your thread topic asks what limits RPM? RPM is limited by airflow and /or a rev-limiter device. That’s it. Get the air in the cylinder, and get it out of the cylinder. 7k rpm isn’t a big deal these days in the pushrod world. Valves have to be controlled with the correct springs...this is a must...and you’ll need a camshaft capable of getting it there. The LS3 intake manifold is very good in raw form, but there are porting and radius rod mods that help it a lot. The intake tract in front of the manifold needs to be as restriction free as possible, and a 102mm throttle body will help also. Nothing wrong with the latest version of YT rockers, just make sure your springs are specced for the addition nose weight from the YT’s. It’s roughly 10 grams...I’ve weighed them.
Are you looking for a power goal, or do you just want to turn rpm regardless?
@Chev70elle I really appreciate your help Scott. I am very interested and have a lot to learn about LS engines.

I was looking for something else and ran across this;

"ULTRALITE

Yella Terra’s exclusive Ultralite rocker arm, shaft and pedestal system offers 50% less nose weight than the factory rocker system, the result being greater RPM potential without compromising strength or durability. The perfect low-maintenance substitute for factory rocker arms which utilise problematic cage-less bearings, solid non-roller tips and heavy steel bodies. Yella Terra Ultralite is ideal for high revving street applications when coupled with factory/lightweight aftermarket springs."

According to Yella Terra their Ultralite rockers have 50% LESS nose weight.

Last edited by SteveJewels; 11-29-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:27 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJewels
@Chev70elle I really appreciate your help Scott. I am very interested and have a lot to learn about LS engines.

I was looking for something else and ran across this;

"ULTRALITE

Yella Terra’s exclusive Ultralite rocker arm, shaft and pedestal system offers 50% less nose weight than the factory rocker system, the result being greater RPM potential without compromising strength or durability. The perfect low-maintenance substitute for factory rocker arms which utilise problematic cage-less bearings, solid non-roller tips and heavy steel bodies. Yella Terra Ultralite is ideal for high revving street applications when coupled with factory/lightweight aftermarket springs."

According to Yella Terra their Ultralite rockers have 50% LESS nose weight.
On YT’s website, it states that their UltraLite setup has 50% less nose weight than other competitors shaft systems. I’ve never seen it posted that the YT Ultralites are 50% lighter over the nose than an Oem steel rocker. Perhaps the “factory rocker system” term was referring to another competitors shaft setup? I don’t know really. What I do know however is that the YT UL’s are 10 grams heavier over the nose than an OEM rocker. Now before anybody reading freaks out, 10 grams isn’t bad. Sure, at 8500 rpm 10 grams is a concern, but it’s combative with Ti retainers and/or the proper springs from a weight perspective. Naturally if your setup with Ti valves, your 20-30 grams ahead already.

The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
68Formula (11-30-2020), G Atsma (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 470 Likes on 272 Posts

No bearings in the stocker. With bearings in it, both ends would be heavier.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:38 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Originally Posted by grubinski
No bearings in the stocker. With bearings in it, both ends would be heavier.
True...which makes the YT piece look a little heavier, although the bearings don’t affect nose weight.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 470 Likes on 272 Posts

True...which makes the YT piece look a little heavier, although the bearings don’t affect nose weight.
I think the nose weight difference measured in that way would be *less* with bearings in the stocker. The nose weight of the stocker would go to (say) 35g from 33g, assuming the bearings were only 4g split evenly between the nose and the other end. That's what I was getting at. So assuming those numbers, only 8g difference, not 10g. Agreed the bearings don't affect the nose weight, but they do affect this measurement ... which I also think was cleverly done. :-)
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 430 Likes on 301 Posts

Seeing as how stock rocker bodies have been 9000 RPM, and most aftermarket rocker systems released in the last 3 years have all used stock rocker bodies, there isn't much reason to upgrade. It just won't be worth the cost.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Pretty sure stock LS3 heads can support stock LS3 displacement to ~8000rpms... what limits the stock engine from spinning that high? The driver. Lol.

Probably need some dual valve springs and better rod bolts to spin to 8K safely. Not sure if the stock intake can support that, though. Might want forged rods/pistons, but I don't know if they are absolutely necessary.

Quick Reply: What limits RPM?