Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oiling issues for C6 LS3's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,051 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova

LS3 pan. Pickup is in that middle compartment. There is a connecting hole to the rear compartment.

The C5’s all used what is called a “batwing” pan.

Pickup is in the same location.
Its a better pan. But it’s goofy! And only really fits the C5 chassis.

I put an LS3 in my C5 and used the LS3 pan. More header clearance, easier to drop the engine in etc.

Immediately noticed that the oil pressure drops on a hard launch at the drag strip. I’ll need to remedy this.

Asked over on the C6 forum if any of them noticed this. Pretty much silence....

Ron
Good post, Ron. Sometimes people don't answer questions when the answer exposes their life choices as maybe not as good as they should be. Like the wife/husband who is cheating... "Where have you been all day"? "Uhhhhhh...... Anyway.....The Batwing pan won't fit the C6, eh? If it was me, I'd plug that connecting hole. I remember back when the Kawasaki Z1 motorcycles were first sold, they were as reliable as an anvil. BUT-They did have one bad engineering oversight: The oil pump pickup was at the FRONT (!) of the engine, and with the tremendous acceleration (for their time) they were capable of, the oil light would wink off and on up to the 9 grand redline in first gear, which was about 60mph. Too much winking, and your floating wristpins only floated in the pistons!!! We made up 'trap' doors, to stop the oil from running to the rear of the motor. This sounds like it could be somewhat fixed by plugging that hole. Just my 2 cents........
The following users liked this post:
RedVenom48 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
Good post, Ron. Sometimes people don't answer questions when the answer exposes their life choices as maybe not as good as they should be. Like the wife/husband who is cheating... "Where have you been all day"? "Uhhhhhh...... Anyway.....The Batwing pan won't fit the C6, eh? If it was me, I'd plug that connecting hole. I remember back when the Kawasaki Z1 motorcycles were first sold, they were as reliable as an anvil. BUT-They did have one bad engineering oversight: The oil pump pickup was at the FRONT (!) of the engine, and with the tremendous acceleration (for their time) they were capable of, the oil light would wink off and on up to the 9 grand redline in first gear, which was about 60mph. Too much winking, and your floating wristpins only floated in the pistons!!! We made up 'trap' doors, to stop the oil from running to the rear of the motor. This sounds like it could be somewhat fixed by plugging that hole. Just my 2 cents........
I had a 2004 Yamaha FZ1 that did that occassionally. Revving past 10k and seeing that light come on really makes ya nervous haha
Old 02-17-2021, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,051 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by RedVenom48
I had a 2004 Yamaha FZ1 that did that occassionally. Revving past 10k and seeing that light come on really makes ya nervous haha
Was so bad on Kaws that dealers told buyers that if they extended the front forks, which would slightly elevate the front of the engine, their engine warranty was void!!