Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ACL Main Bearings, Any good or stay away,

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021 | 03:27 AM
Restricted User

Default ACL Main Bearings, Any good or stay away,

I am doing a LS2 build with a ACL Race bearing, one machine shop uses them and another says they flake,
anyone use ACL Main bearings lately, I have always used Clevite in the past,

Also confused about design, the normal Clevite has the groove on the bottom bearing about 80% the ACL is grooved 100% of the bottom bearings,
Dart recommends a bearings that has a 100% of the groove, Clevite does make a special LS bearing for Dart that is 100% grooved,

Will More groove add more Rod bearing oil, and Less Crank oil?
Old 08-17-2021 | 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

I have used the Standard ACL bearings in import rebuilds in the past with great success. Only 1 time I tried the Standard ACL bearings for an LS motor and I had an issue with one of the bearings. I decided not to use them for this application.

I have never tried the ACL Race Bearings in anything.

I have used both the Cleveite and the Kings brands in both Standard and Race bearings. They both work well in the LS.

This is just my opinion. I am sure others will chime in.
Old 08-17-2021 | 03:23 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I have used the Standard ACL bearings in import rebuilds in the past with great success. Only 1 time I tried the Standard ACL bearings for an LS motor and I had an issue with one of the bearings. I decided not to use them for this application.

I have never tried the ACL Race Bearings in anything.

I have used both the Cleveite and the Kings brands in both Standard and Race bearings. They both work well in the LS.

This is just my opinion. I am sure others will chime in.

Thank you, just a little nervous, Hard to get a HX bearing in Clevite right now, so hopefully more will chime in,
Old 08-17-2021 | 06:02 PM
11 Second Club
5 Year Member

I've always had good luck with Clevite bearings.
Old 08-17-2021 | 08:35 PM
KCS
15 Year Member

I've used ACL Race bearings in a lot of engines, including my 440. They're a good bearing for the money IMO.
Old 08-18-2021 | 02:47 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by KCS
I've used ACL Race bearings in a lot of engines, including my 440. They're a good bearing for the money IMO.
Thank you, I am back and forth about keeping them in one of the 402 builds, good friend had someone build the motor that was to tight in a offroad race truck, so i just dont want any issues, i might save the ACL for another build, and found some Clevite today, I had a ACL flake in my 468, but i think it was a Oil cooler i build out of a inner-cooler core,
Old 08-18-2021 | 08:03 AM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by jalper
Thank you, I am back and forth about keeping them in one of the 402 builds, good friend had someone build the motor that was to tight in a offroad race truck, so i just dont want any issues, i might save the ACL for another build, and found some Clevite today, I had a ACL flake in my 468, but i think it was a Oil cooler i build out of a inner-cooler core,
I haven't used Clevite in a long time, but I would have a problem with their main bearings being tight just on the #3 main for the LS stuff. It wasn't really a big deal though. I would later use ACL and never had that problem again, at least on blocks that I machined. The last bearings I used were King, which I actually liked a lot. There is something to be said about the design of the thrust among the different brands, but in my opinion, I think just about any brand will do it's job as long as you have a competent engine builder checking the clearances.
Old 08-18-2021 | 04:56 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by KCS
I haven't used Clevite in a long time, but I would have a problem with their main bearings being tight just on the #3 main for the LS stuff. It wasn't really a big deal though. I would later use ACL and never had that problem again, at least on blocks that I machined. The last bearings I used were King, which I actually liked a lot. There is something to be said about the design of the thrust among the different brands, but in my opinion, I think just about any brand will do it's job as long as you have a competent engine builder checking the clearances.
In 10 years every Clevite was tight on the #3,
Old 08-18-2021 | 05:02 PM
11 Second Club
5 Year Member

I have H-Series in the LSX and didn't have to do anything to the thrust bearing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chec...T0PEP45mDqAg41
Old 08-18-2021 | 05:09 PM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

I use alot of Federal Mogul/Speed Pro on the LS engines and have great luck. 3/4 groove.

Quick Reply: ACL Main Bearings, Any good or stay away,