Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Peek at my Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peek at my Bearings?

I have a relatively fresh LSA service replacement long block that I know very little about except that is circa 2019, very clean, runs well, & has good oil pressure. Also for good measure I sent an oil sample out & the report came back great. Came out of a 2014 wreck that I was able to get running before removal.

I need to swap oil pans, and wondering if I should take a peek at the bearings while I’m there. I’m an old-school guy and would do it without hesitation on any small block or big block, but all this TTY vs TTT talk about bolts makes me a little nervous.
I do have the shop manual for this engine & it says you need to replace main cap and rod bolts once you remove them.
The general consensus seems to say otherwise.

I’ve done a couple LH6 motors without replacing any rod/main cap bolts, but the stakes are higher on this one.

What say you:
Take a peek?
Or leave well enough alone

edit:
The car had catless long tubes, smaller supercharger pulley & an intake.

Last edited by Jscm3; 12-29-2021 at 09:20 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-29-2021, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 563 Likes on 362 Posts

Consider cutting apart your oil filter first. If its clean, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You said the oil report came back great.
The following users liked this post:
Jimbo1367 (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

If the report came back clean and you trust it, I’d leave it alone except for the pan and windage tray. Don’t forget you will need a matching pick up also. It would be a good idea to use a Improved Racing pick up brace. P/N: EGM 500. It’s like just under $25.

I personally would cut open the filter. It’s easy enough to do. I would expect that to look clean.

Last edited by Jimbo1367; 12-30-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Yeah, that’s a good plan. Was going to cut open the filter instead of sending a sample, no reason not to do both.

I would like to know how many people actually do change their cap bolts, maybe someday I’ll start a thread with a poll.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Did you keep the LSA supercharger? What is this going into? Do you have a thread on LS1tech yet?

I’m in the process of collecting enough parts to put a supercharger on my LY6. I’m starting to regret my decision as I didn’t realize how mush all of the extra stuff was really gonna cost. I knew it would be expensive. If I ever get it running, I’m sure I’ll forgive my self LOL.
LCBE (12-30-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Did you keep the LSA supercharger? What is this going into? Do you have a thread on LS1tech yet?

I’m in the process of collecting enough parts to put a supercharger on my LY6. I’m starting to regret my decision as I didn’t realize how mush all of the extra stuff was really gonna cost. I knew it would be expensive. If I ever get it running, I’m sure I’ll forgive my self LOL.
My project is a little less complicated than yours, but probably not cheaper.
I bought a 5th gen Zl1 Camaro roller, & a similar car wrecked to scavenge the drivetrain.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't see any reason to look that deep, unless it is clear it was rolled, and even then, I'd be reluctant to crack it apart. I've bought, and taken apart several out of wrecks, fires ECT, and they are always fine. My buddy got a 6.0 out of a truck that was involved in a high speed chase, wrecked/rolled and you almost couldn't identify the truck. Engine was nice. My point is, 99% of the time, in a accident, the engine stops pretty quickly and generally doesn't suffer any damage, unless the pan gets whacked, but even then it normally doesn't run very long for one reason or another. Just my opinion, based on what I've seen.
99 Black Bird T/A (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 03:37 AM
Banned

hello

I'm gathering the necessary components to install a supercharger on my LY6. I'm beginning to regret my decision since I underestimated how much all of the extras would cost. I expected it to be costly. I'm sure I'll forgive me if I ever get it running.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by aldonkaka6
hello

I'm gathering the necessary components to install a supercharger on my LY6. I'm beginning to regret my decision since I underestimated how much all of the extras would cost. I expected it to be costly. I'm sure I'll forgive me if I ever get it running.
Here you are repeating posts AGAIN. This time Post #5.
MODS?? We have a troll in our midst.

Quick Reply: Peek at my Bearings?