Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Big mother thumpa cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Big mother thumpa cam

So I recently traded for an engine that was built several years ago put into a Mazda b2000 done burnouts drove mabye a total of 10 times parked and sat for years the guy who had it built tells me that it has the big mother thumpa cam. Upon research I learned it is a monster big cam that requires a 2800+ stall (hindsight being 20 20 it was attached to a 3500to4200 stall and a turbo 400) I have the stall converter and transmission it was attached to but I can not put this in my daily driver truck as I don't want to burn out at every red light my question is what is the purpose of a cam this big I have it now and need to find something to do with it

Specs for cam
Old 03-16-2022, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 690 Likes on 479 Posts

The purpose of that cam is to "sound" "good'.

Period.

Running good is only marginally allowed to interfere.

What do you intend to use the motor for? What motor is it? What heads, what compression, what other work was done to it?
Old 03-16-2022, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by RB04Av

Period.

What do you intend to use the motor for? What motor is it? What heads, what compression, what other work was done to it?
The cam is made to sound badass. NOT run that way. Strictly poser material.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

the name alone is cringe worthy, lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by theunderlord:
99 Black Bird T/A (03-16-2022), G Atsma (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Period.

it is a 2002 5.3 out of a tahoe he put all eagle forged rotating dont know what pistons he used 862 heads it came with an edeldbrock victor jr intake with carbi don't know if it's studied mains or not haven't pulled the oil pan... my intended use was to put it in my daily driven 4wd with possibly a pro charger later down the road now idk what to do with it I can't stall my daily driver defiantly not that big of stall so idk at this point find me a rolling chassis and do lots of burn outs lol
Old 03-16-2022, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Default It's why I made the trade

Originally Posted by theunderlord
the name alone is cringe worthy, lol.
we were trying to make it work in a newer truck before research about cams and tunes for cams so I ended up trading a build on a gen 4 5.3 for this whole set up the intake and msd box is 950 alone just to buy when I heard that thing pop off and roar with that double pumper before we pulled it out of that Mazda I said if this don't work I'm getting it just because it screams lol
Old 03-16-2022, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Default This is the reason for this post

Originally Posted by G Atsma
The cam is made to sound badass. NOT run that way. Strictly poser material.
so does it make any power at all? does it do good with boost or more fuel and air? What can i do with this really great sounding high reving engine? I don't want to tear it down although people say I can put cam in without pulling heads I would never be comfortable doing it to an ls due to not being able to take a magnet and pull lifters first so at minimum I'm pulling heads to change the cam. Then what am I going to do with the cam make art out of a 300 cam? Spend money on head gaskets that are brand new years old but never run never really broke in. What to do what to do?
Old 03-16-2022, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Default I read in this fourm

Period.

so until someone told me that post was 10 years old I read another post about this cam it's why I made this post does this cam have any advantages that I can use so I can stick this ten year old build with less than 100 miles on it in the rigthe rolling chassis and get the money i spent in the motor i built for him for the trade back. Drift car? Dirt car? There are plenty of BMW here please say drift car lol? What can I do with it? If I'm going to replace the cam I'm going to build the other 5.3 that I bought to build for my truck with the stroked crank and all the fixings so what application should I put this for other than it sounds badass
Old 03-16-2022, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Country1982...
so does it make any power at all? does it do good with boost or more fuel and air? What can i do with this really great sounding high reving engine? I don't want to tear it down although people say I can put cam in without pulling heads I would never be comfortable doing it to an ls due to not being able to take a magnet and pull lifters first so at minimum I'm pulling heads to change the cam. Then what am I going to do with the cam make art out of a 300 cam? Spend money on head gaskets that are brand new years old but never run never really broke in. What to do what to do?
It will, but not as much as cams designed for power that idle smoother with more torque down low. Some people put bad *** sound ahead of good cam design or efficient running. This cam is for them.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default Good to know

It will, but not as much as cams designed for power that idle smoother with more torque down low. Some people put bad *** sound ahead of good cam design or efficient running. This cam is for them.
well good sound should net me 7k in an ls swap that is easy like say an old blazer 2wd as it's easy to swap or c10 being as I have the carb set up and stall and adapter plate to make the 400 turbo work not good for injection applications is what vibe I'm getting don't have to tune a carb application on a computer I can do that by ear
Old 03-17-2022, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Why not just change the cam without pulling the heads? Back off the rockers, pull the pushrods out and use dowel rods
Old 03-17-2022, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 84ta406
Why not just change the cam without pulling the heads? Back off the rockers, pull the pushrods out and use dowel rods
I thought about it really I did but then I'm stuck with a performance built Trans and stall converter that I dont need build tag on the transmission

Old 03-17-2022, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like all the info you need, IF you don't need any.
I would call Hughes and DEMAND the tag that should be on that tranny.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like all the info you need, IF you don't need any.
I would call Hughes and DEMAND the tag that should be on that tranny.
that transmission was built over 10 years ago about all you can still see is the date the motor was built over 10 years ago both were put in a Mazda b 2000 and done burnouts around the neighborhood to **** the neighbors off then parked for 10 years night have been drove 50 miles total the police started messing w him so the build # used to be there
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not here to diss you, but your posts are all one long run on sentence, which makes them very hard to understand. Punctuation and capital letters go a long way to help with better understanding.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default Yea you will have that some days

Not here to diss you, but your posts are all one long run on sentence, which makes them very hard to understand. Punctuation and capital letters go a long way to help with better understanding.
well I'm sorry to inconvenience you about my punctuation and grammar I have sent messages this way for a long time and its hard to correct been doing it since nokia and t9 txt if your old enoughto rember t9 txt and Nokia indestructible phones then you would understand
G Atsma (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Default Yea old transmission with little miles

that transmission was built over 10 years ago about all you can still see is the date the motor was built over 10 years ago both were put in a Mazda b 2000 and done burnouts around the neighborhood to **** the neighbors off then parked for 10 years night have been drove 50 miles total the police started messing w him so the build # used to be there
I went back and looked I can make out some of the serial # and some of the date. IT IS TEN YEARS OLD AND THEY DIDNT STAMP THE TAG THEY USED A MARKER! Hope my punctuation was ok for you
G Atsma (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I'm sorry to inconvenience you about my punctuation and grammar. I have sent messages this way for a long time and it's hard to correct. Been doing it since Nokia and T9 txt. If you're old enough to remember T9 txt and Nokia indestructible phones, then you would understand.
I'm 69, so yeah, been there and used them all. And yet, here I am. I even fixed the above post, so it can be done. We all can learn.
Like I said, not ragging on you. It's just about making things clear and easy to read.
Have a great day!
Old 03-17-2022, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

Oh man, T9!

Here's a tip, space out your paragraphs so they don't look like on huge wall of text, you'll get better responses and it will be easier for people to engage with your posts and questions. :beer emoji:
Old 03-17-2022, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Default You as well good sir.

I'm 69, so yeah, been there and used them all. And yet, here I am. I even fixed the above post, so it can be done. We all can learn.
Like I said, not ragging on you. It's just about making things clear and easy to read.
Have a great day!
so to answer your first question about changing the cam. This was my first thought,but as you are a sticker for punctuation, i am a stickler for scratches in an engine build. So that being said I don't trust the rollers not to scratch it. I know you might tell me how u mentioned dowels? I don't know what you meant by that. I have on the 15 to 20 engines I have built always pulled the lifters off of the cam before changing. The old chevys u could do this with a magnet. That being said I have a 100 mile full built motor eagle forged bottom. The guy who had it built did it to make his neighbor mad 10 years ago. I traded probably 1000 in labor and 2500 in parts to build a motor for his sons truck full rebuild. I know what head gaskets and bolts cost they are not cheap. I was going to put the motor in my truck until I found these cams to be trash. (Hindsight he done it to **** his neighbor off) I now have motor Trans and stall and all adapters to make it work. What should I put this setup in. Or do I take this fresh motor pull heads cause I'm ocd and change cam. That cam has to be built for somthing other than sound it's comp cams. That good sir is the reason for this post
G Atsma (03-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Big mother thumpa cam