Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Stroker kits questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stroker kits questions

Ls2 with Texas speed stroker kit in a gto. I was told I have to shim my windage tray. Is it worth buying an improved race one or anyone else’s that doesn’t need to be shimmed? And what do I have to watch out for as I have the improved race baffling in a factory oil pan

ps. It’s a 402 kit with Texas speed I beam rods

Old 03-17-2022, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

Tough question. The affects of oil scraping and windage is a very difficult thing to quantify without a dyno.

I would start with shimming what you have as that would be the cheapest option. If you want to set that engine up on a dyno and then drain/add oil to measure HP as it correlates to oil level, that would be the only way to really know what you've got.

The most important thing is no contact with the rotating assembly and the pan, so as long as you have clearance, the rest is gravy.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Shimming down the windage tray is difficult to get right. The problem is that the pickup tube has a bracket that bolts to the windage tray. When you lower the windage tray, your pickup tube is now being lowered as well. This results in the pickup tube being too close to the bottom of the pan, which will lead to oil starvation. You have to actually bend the pickup tube to adjust for this, to maintain the correct spacing between the pickup tube head and the bottom of the pan. If you don't get this right, you can end up with oil starvation issues.

If you use our EGM-241 windage tray, you don't have to worry about any of that. It bolts on like factory and everything is where it should be. It's also made from aluminum, so it's less than half the weight of the factory windage tray. I highly recommend using our windage tray instead. At $149, it's not a huge investment compared to a factory windage tray either.

No matter what windage tray you use, you won't have any issues with interference with the oil pan baffle, there is plenty of space for that.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
The following 2 users liked this post by ImprovedRacing:
DougHG8 (03-23-2022), G Atsma (03-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Stroker kits questions