Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

NA C6z Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 481 Likes on 311 Posts

Hellllll yea that's better news
The following 3 users liked this post by spanks13:
DualQuadDave (07-12-2024), jayyyw (07-12-2024), Ls1Rx-7 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 800 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by spanks13
Hellllll yea that's better news
haha. yeah, fk it. Might as well.

I'm also going to start gathering parts to convert to solid roller. I have a cam that I want to run, but the lift is slightly over the threshold of the current springs. I know you mentioned that there might be extra space to coil bind. I spoke to Cesar about it and he said that might be the case with the "cheaper" springs and didn't think the ones I currently run would vary much at all. So, once, I start the tear down, I'll have to pull a spring and verify that. If there's not enough space there, I may just have Cam Motion grind it with slighty less lift.

As for lifters, I'm either going with BAM or Johnson.

Keeping the non-adjustable rockers. Planning to modify my Manton pushrods to get the exact lengths that I need. I have a few different sets laying around, so I should be able to dial it in. This is definitely going to take the most time.

Think that about covers the next steps. Really want to clear that 800whp mark. Just a personal goal for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by jayyyw:
02EBC5Z06 (07-12-2024), ALL ULL C (07-16-2024), Bob570 (07-13-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 369 Likes on 239 Posts

Motivation! NA 1200hp/15000rpm...remember a chase is a race. Let me tell you all about canted valve heads..💩
​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by DualQuadDave:
02EBC5Z06 (07-12-2024), jayyyw (07-12-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jayyyw
haha. yeah, fk it. Might as well.

I'm also going to start gathering parts to convert to solid roller. I have a cam that I want to run, but the lift is slightly over the threshold of the current springs. I know you mentioned that there might be extra space to coil bind. I spoke to Cesar about it and he said that might be the case with the "cheaper" springs and didn't think the ones I currently run would vary much at all. So, once, I start the tear down, I'll have to pull a spring and verify that. If there's not enough space there, I may just have Cam Motion grind it with slighty less lift.

Keeping the non-adjustable rockers. Planning to modify my Manton pushrods to get the exact lengths that I need. I have a few different sets laying around, so I should be able to dial it in. This is definitely going to take the most time.

Think that about covers the next steps. Really want to clear that 800whp mark. Just a personal goal for me.
Yea it worked out for me. Billy G suggested it to me. PAC 1237X (700 lift max) installed just fine to run 774 lift on the intake.
The following users liked this post:
jayyyw (07-17-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts

Glad to see you are keeping it for a bit.

My BAM's are a good bit shorter than the factory lifter, so you might want to look into the lifter heights if you have some pushrods already in mind..
jayyyw (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Took the car out for more testing this weekend. Needed to test the scoop and the nitrous (250hp).

The scoop picked up 2-3KPA over just having the TBs out in the open. Saw 101KPA, max, after 130ish MPH. Baro was 99KPA.
It was asking for more fuel in most of the upper rpms. Had to add about 3-5%.
Car ran solid for the weather. Temp was a breezy 75 degrees, but DA was in the 2XXX range.

Did one hit on the nitrous, starting in 3rd gear. I forgot to purge the line, so it didn't hit right away. From the logs, it looks like it took a whole second to finally come in.
Had the shutoff RPM too low, so it started to layover before the shift. Bumped that up a little higher.
Timing mark looked great, pulling about 13 degrees out of it. Had to add more to the fueling side of it.
Once the power started to roll in, it spun a little but it was still moving forward very strong.
When I get that dialed in, it's gonna be a monster on spray.

I pulled all the plugs the next day to see how they all compared. I saw some huge inconsistences that I hadn't seen before. It was definitely concerning. 3-4 plugs were showing extremely lean and 1 was pig rich. The rest looked normal, slightly dark. Just as a precaution, I pulled the injectors out. Going to send them to get flowed and cleaned.

Sent out a cam request to Comp and also Mike Jones for one of his Inverse Radius cams.
Mike already got back to me. I like what he sent. It's fairly close to what I wanted.
Going to give Comp a few more days to see if they send anything. If not, I'm going to go with the Jones' cam.
The following 5 users liked this post by jayyyw:
C5_Pete (07-18-2024), DualQuadDave (07-18-2024), Ryans99ls1 (07-18-2024), spanks13 (07-18-2024), wretched73 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Glad to see you are keeping it for a bit.

My BAM's are a good bit shorter than the factory lifter, so you might want to look into the lifter heights if you have some pushrods already in mind..
Yeah, I'll have to see where it lands once I get it all together.
Old 07-18-2024, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts

2-3kpa gain, and just being over baro in general at speed is awesome. It had to be running hard!

"Starting" with a 250.. lol. I like your style.
jayyyw (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Took the car out for more testing this weekend. Needed to test the scoop and the nitrous (250hp).

The scoop picked up 2-3KPA over just having the TBs out in the open. Saw 101KPA, max, after 130ish MPH. Baro was 99KPA.
Car ran solid for the weather. Temp was a breezy 75 degrees, but DA was in the 2XXX range.

Did one hit on the nitrous, starting in 3rd gear. I forgot to purge the line, so it didn't hit right away. From the logs, it looks like it took a whole second to finally come in.
Had the shutoff RPM too low, so it started to layover before the shift. Bumped that up a little higher.
Timing mark looked great, pulling about 13 degrees out of it. Had to add more to the fueling side of it.
Once the power started to roll in, it spun a little but it was still moving forward very strong.

I pulled all the plugs the next day to see how they all compared. I saw some huge inconsistences that I hadn't seen before. It was definitely concerning. 3-4 plugs were showing extremely lean and 1 was pig rich. The rest looked normal, slightly dark. Just as a precaution, I pulled the injectors out. Going to send them to get flowed and cleaned.

Sent out a cam request to Comp and also Mike Jones for one of his Inverse Radius cams.
Mike already got back to me. I like what he sent. It's fairly close to what I wanted.
Going to give Comp a few more days to see if they send anything. If not, I'm going to go with the Jones' cam.
We have ordered many custom cams direct with Comp through multiple different contacts. Got ghosted last year after 5 emails. This has never happened before...not really sure what is going on. I can only presume that the race shop jobs are being pushed off in favor of pumping out more shelf grinds or white label stocking orders.
Old 07-18-2024, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
2-3kpa gain, and just being over baro in general at speed is awesome. It had to be running hard!

"Starting" with a 250.. lol. I like your style.
Haha, I had originally put the 200hp jets in but at the last minute, said "fk it" and threw in the 250s. I don't really want to go passed that. 250 is already on the edge of traction, and I don't want to do a second kit. No progressive either.
The following 2 users liked this post by jayyyw:
DualQuadDave (07-18-2024), Ryans99ls1 (07-19-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Give Bullet a shout before you spend. Trust me on that one👍

The bad plugs could have been from lack of purging before you hit it, but checking the injectors is a good idea.
jayyyw (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

We have ordered many custom cams direct with Comp through multiple different contacts. Got ghosted last year after 5 emails. This has never happened before...not really sure what is going on. I can only presume that the race shop jobs are being pushed off in favor of pumping out more shelf grinds or white label stocking orders.
I still haven't heard anything. I e-mailed Mike Jones and let him know I wanted to move forward with what he specced for me. I've been wanting to try one of his cams for a while now, so this is as good a time as any.

New cam is : 271/281 .800/.775 115LSA

The one I wanted to run from Comp, is: 271/286 .843/.836 115+3

Current cam is: 262/277 .800/.800 115+4 installed at 115LSA

The Jones cam has a 3 degree later intake closing than the Comp Cam. So, it should make a little more power. Not sure how much that's going to push my peak up. Currently, its around 8300. If it gets too high, I could always add some runner length to bring it back down. I really don't want to shift higher than I already am, but I will if that's where it's making the most power.
Old 07-18-2024, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DualQuadDave
Give Bullet a shout before you spend. Trust me on that one👍

The bad plugs could have been from lack of purging before you hit it, but checking the injectors is a good idea.
I did a quick hit, after the nitrous hit, on motor. Just to make sure everything felt solid. And they also had some cruise time getting home. They weren't all pulled right after the nitrous hit.

Contacted Eric Derr and will be sending out my injectors this weekend.
DualQuadDave (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still haven't heard anything. I e-mailed Mike Jones and let him know I wanted to move forward with what he specced for me. I've been wanting to try one of his cams for a while now, so this is as good a time as any.

New cam is : 271/281 .800/.775 115LSA

The one I wanted to run from Comp, is: 271/286 .843/.836 115+3

Current cam is: 262/277 .800/.800 115+4 installed at 115LSA

The Jones cam has a 3 degree later intake closing than the Comp Cam. So, it should make a little more power. Not sure how much that's going to push my peak up. Currently, its around 8300. If it gets too high, I could always add some runner length to bring it back down. I really don't want to shift higher than I already am, but I will if that's where it's making the most power.
So the new cam is a solid roller and the existing cam is hydraulic right?

Interesting going down on lift - does Mike not have higher lift lobes? Accounting for lash you might actually get kind of close to very nearly the same duration as your hydraulic cam, and you're losing some lift going from .800" hydraulic lift to 800/775 gross lift before lash.
Old 07-18-2024, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

So the new cam is a solid roller and the existing cam is hydraulic right?

Interesting going down on lift - does Mike not have higher lift lobes? Accounting for lash you might actually get kind of close to very nearly the same duration as your hydraulic cam, and you're losing some lift going from .800" hydraulic lift to 800/775 gross lift before lash.
Yes, solid from hydraulic.

That's what he specced based off the components I told him I had. I was reading a bunch of his posts on YB and he mentioned that he's found, slightly less exhaust duration/lift can actually make more power. So, I didn't question the decision. It was close to where I wanted to be. He also mentioned that his cams act slightly bigger than they look on paper. So, I'm going with that, lol.

Even if it comes back to being the exact same size, I'm sure it's still going to pick up power being solid over hydraulic. I'm also sure I'm not getting the "full" lift and duration out of the current cam. Especially with the spring pressure I am running.
Old 07-18-2024, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what he specced based off the components I told him I had. I was reading a bunch of his posts on YB and he mentioned that he's found, slightly less exhaust duration/lift can actually make more power. So, I didn't question the decision. It was close to where I wanted to be. He also mentioned that his cams act slightly bigger than they look on paper. So, I'm going with that, lol.

Even if it comes back to being the exact same size, I'm sure it's still going to pick up power being solid over hydraulic. I'm also sure I'm not getting the "full" lift and duration out of the current cam. Especially with the spring pressure I am running.
I agree with all that. I think the Jones cam lift wise will be very comparable to what you have now. Then again, more lift is more overall power capability as it moves the total average up which should give you more power across your main band. The basics of duration split is the more split extends the powerband, narrower makes more power in a narrower range. Given how much data you have collected, I think that Jones having that data is powerful and he can probably spit out a more focused spec vs Comp at this point. I like Comp, but they def are not the same since Billy Godbold left. FYI, Billy has his own company now and does similar projects like Jones. I think Chev70elle knows him, if i remember right. Another phone call worth making if possible.
jayyyw (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you think he considered the nitrous shot at all in the cam spec?

I agree with what you say, and if you don't want to push rpm higher you really don't want more duration.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you think he considered the nitrous shot at all in the cam spec?

I agree with what you say, and if you don't want to push rpm higher you really don't want more duration.
He did. I didn't put it into the original spec sheet I sent. I didn't want him to spec something nitrous dedicated. After he sent me his first spec, I mentioned the nitrous and amount I was going to spray. He revised it to what I posted above.
spanks13 (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cam and headgaskets ordered. I'll pick up some lifters in the next week or two and start the tear down.
DualQuadDave (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: NA C6z Build