Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L76 - while I'm in there

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L76 - while I'm in there

Hey guys,

This week sadly my L76 swapped FRS experienced a oil starvation issue - resulting in rod knock. I'm in the process of tearing it down to see the damage.

While I've got the whole top and bottom end torn apart, are there any parts you'd reccomend replacing while I'm in there?

Mods:
BTR Stage 2 LS3 Cam
LS7 lifters
Trunion kit
Btr dual valve springs
Btr rods
Ls2 timing chain
Upgraded oil pump
Ati harmonic balancer
Ls1 oil pan with improved racing baffle

Dyno'd 462 whp

Stock heads
Stock intake
Stock throttle body
Stock bottom end

Likely going to tackle new rod bearings, new cam bearing and replace the crank and/or rods depending on how bad they are. Praying the block is OK. Thinking about getting the rotating assembly balanced and maybe porting the heads if I can get that done locally.

Car is daily driven, but building slighty toward drift and light track time.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!
Old 05-27-2023, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_liil
Hey guys,

This week sadly my L76 swapped FRS experienced a oil starvation issue - resulting in rod knock. I'm in the process of tearing it down to see the damage.

While I've got the whole top and bottom end torn apart, are there any parts you'd reccomend replacing while I'm in there?

Mods:
BTR Stage 2 LS3 Cam
LS7 lifters
Trunion kit
Btr dual valve springs
Btr rods
Ls2 timing chain
Upgraded oil pump
Ati harmonic balancer

Dyno'd 462 whp

Stock heads
Stock intake
Stock throttle body
Stock bottom end

Likely going to tackle new rod bearings, new cam bearing and replace the crank and/or rods depending on how bad they are. Praying the block is OK. Thinking about getting the rotating assembly balanced and maybe porting the heads if I can get that done locally.

very nice combo. I have the same engine, likely going balanced stroker rotating assembly. As for what else to address yours, maybe make sure you know the oiling issue and address it?
The following users liked this post:
Matt_liil (05-28-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 605 Likes on 481 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I would consider some sort of oil pan baffling like Improved Racing if they make one to fit your pan. It seems like a good idea since you plan on tracking this eventually
Old 05-28-2023, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I would consider some sort of oil pan baffling like Improved Racing if they make one to fit your pan. It seems like a good idea since you plan on tracking this eventually
Ironically, I just added the improved racing baffle to my pan 3 days prior to the starvation issue. Just got around to pulling off the pan to check and make sure the doors were still moving, and they were. That was the only recent addition to the motor latrly, so I had really though that was the issue.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,214 Likes on 835 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Matt_liil
Hey guys,

Mods:
BTR Stage 2 LS3 Cam
LS7 lifters
Trunion kit
Btr dual valve springs
Btr rods
Ls2 timing chain
Upgraded oil pump
Ati harmonic balancer

Dyno'd 462 whp

Stock heads
Stock intake
Stock throttle body
Stock bottom end

Considering the aluminum block, unless your cam bearings are really junk, I'd leave them alone. I had the #5 cam bearing walk towards the timing cover in an early LS1 block that had had the cam bearings replaced several times. Lost all oil pressure!! So-IF I ever replace cam bearings in an aluminum block again, I'll stake them on both ends. Once bitten, twice shy.......
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (06-01-2023)

Quick Reply: L76 - while I'm in there