Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

vorteq engine conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vorteq engine conversion

Hi everyone.
A total noob subject and it will sound even stupider as you finish reading.
I think I had posted while back when I was building my Datsun with LS1 but mostly reading here

I have not build any engines my self other then signing a cheque or debit card at engine build shops. Though I can mount, wire it up etc.. to make them run. So please be easy.

I'm in process of building new car, totally custom and I had been debating to go electric or go ICE engine and the cap that always nagging me is recharging it and wait time. So It seems like a gas engine is wining again.
As I had mentioned when it comes to building engines for me, cheque book rules but I due have dilemma. I have limited amount of height in engine bay about 32" and only engine I can fit in it is something out of corvette with out any of the cover dressings. And those corvette engines are in the $6K + where as a vorteq engine from escalade is half the price.
So here is the question. Is it cost effective to convert truck engine into say corvette "packaging" style engine. I realize there are number of things that would have to get changed like the entire intake/induction system, probably some of the front accessory location/brackets Secondly, I'm thinking of throwing manual transmission so the PCM would need to be replaced or reprogrammed and I'm not entirely sure if it can be reprogrammed for manual.
Not sure what else I'm missing. Any thoughts on this endeavour ?

Thanks Jerry

Last edited by chimaera; 08-21-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by chimaera
Hi everyone.
A total noob subject and it will sound even stupider as you finish reading.
I think I had posted while back when I was building my Datsun with LS1 but mostly reading here

I have not build any engines my self other then signing a cheque or debit card at engine build shops. Though I can mount, wire it up etc.. to make them run. So please be easy.

I'm in process of building new car, totally custom and I had been debating to go electric or go ICE engine and the cap that always nagging me is recharging it and wait time. So It seems like a gas engine is wining again.
As I had mentioned when it comes to building engines for me, cheque book rules but I due have dilemma. I have limited amount of height in engine bay about 32" and only engine I can fit in it is something out of corvette with out any of the cover dressings. And those corvette engines are in the $6K + where as a vorteq engine from escalade is half the price.
So here is the question. Is it cost effective to convert truck engine into say corvette "packaging" style engine. I realize there are number of things that would have to get changed like the entire intake/induction system. Secondly, I'm thinking of throwing manual transmission so the PCM would need to be replaced or reprogrammed and I'm not entirely sure if it can be reprogrammed for manual.
Not sure what else I'm missing. Any thoughts on this endeavour ?

Thanks Jerry
A shallower pan and car intake for cathedral port heads will solve your clearance issues. Any Vortec (with a C) engine will do here.

Quick Reply: vorteq engine conversion